shape
carat
color
clarity

1st time poster -- need diamond evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gcallas

Rough_Rock
I''m really glad I finally found this place. I''ve been absorbing as much info on diamonds as I can, but my interactive experiences have been limited and I generally don''t trust the people I''ve talked to because they''re trying to sell me something. After looking over these forums it sounds as if people are offering sincere advice here.

I''m looking at a round brilliant for an e-ring and here are the specs I got from a sarin report (it''s a Blue Nile stone):

carat: 1.12
color: I
clarity: SI1
diam: 6.8mm (6.78 - 6.83)
depth: 59.6% (4.05mm)
table %: 58% (3.95mm)
crown: 32.7'' (13.3%)
pavil: 41.1'' (43.3%)
culet: 0.8% ("very small")
girdle: 0.7 - 1.4 (1.1%)

GIA report (5/30/03) says it has very good polish and symmetry and no flourescence. Any thoughts on this diamond? I''m thinking it may be a real find.

diamond_in_the_ruff

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2003 8:24:18 PM gcallas wrote:

I'm really glad I finally found this place. I've been absorbing as much info on diamonds as I can, but my interactive experiences have been limited and I generally don't trust the people I've talked to because they're trying to sell me something. After looking over these forums it sounds as if people are offering sincere advice here.

I'm looking at a round brilliant for an e-ring and here are the specs I got from a sarin report (it's a Blue Nile stone):

carat: 1.12
color: I
clarity: SI1
diam: 6.8mm (6.78 - 6.83)
depth: 59.6% (4.05mm)
table %: 58% (3.95mm)
crown: 32.7' (13.3%)
pavil: 41.1' (43.3%)
culet: 0.8% ('very small')
girdle: 0.7 - 1.4 (1.1%)

GIA report (5/30/03) says it has very good polish and symmetry and no flourescence. Any thoughts on this diamond? I'm thinking it may be a real find.

----------------

Looks like a great diamond. All the specs fall into an acceptable category. You really can't go wrong if it's what you wanted. On a personal note, sometimes SI1 have noticeable inclusions that you may be able to see w/ the naked eye. When I purchased my engagement ring, I didn't want to be able to see inclusions so I bumped it up to VS2 and it's hard to see anything even at 10x magnification. Of course it's a matter of preference. If you buy online, you won't know what is acceptable to your eye until you get the diamond to review. Also, if you like bluenile, give www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com a shot. They have a good selection and fair prices. Good luck.

-K

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Wowzer! I just ran this puppy thru the Cut Adviser!

1.3 TIC and Excellents all across the board for Fire, Light Return, Scintillation, and Spread! GREAT!

Now the disclaimer,.... The numbers sound wonderful, but you eye will be the final judge. Data is great to help weed out duds, but it really comes down to how the diamond performs and whether the diamond's personality suits you.

BN has a very liberal 30 day return period. Well worth a look see!
1.gif

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
gcallas,

Welcome. I too have a Blue Nile stone SI1 (H). Not all SI1's are created equal. You need to see it or have the BN gemologists eyeball it for you and describe the inclusions. I passed on many SI1 stones because I was able to see the inclusions. Look at the GIA cert they post and ask specific questions about the inclusions. They will be honest with you. Atleast that is what my experience was and I asked them to look at about 10 stones for me!!!

You also need to look at diamond colors. Can you view some (I) color stones locally??? (I) is usually where some people can start seeing a tinge of color. Some cannot = some can - best to find out which one you are first!!!

A high (I) closer to an (H) as opposed to a low (I) closer to a (J) in an eyeclean SI1 stone - should be great. Do some homework. Blue Nile will hold for you for a few days if you request!!!! They will actually hold a bit longer if they sense you are truly interested.

There are other online vendors who are great as well. Blue Nile just happened to have what I wanted. I was totally satisfied with my whole diamond buying experience with them. I will say that most of the other online vendors who post here regularly have great supporters as well. Good luck .

P.S. Read the pricescope tutorials and read as many of the threads(posts) as you can. It is amazing how much you will learn in a short period of time.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/4/2003 11:30:44 AM stephcola wrote:

Not all SI1's are created equal. You need to see it or have the BN gemologists eyeball it for you and describe the inclusions.

I passed on many SI1 stones because I was able to see the inclusions. Look at the GIA cert they post and ask specific questions about the inclusions

----------------

Steph makes a great point here.....not all SI1s are equal and the best way to ascertain that it to get on the horn and talk to the vendor about the stone. Have him/her look at it while you're on the phone and describe the type, color, and placement of the inclusions with you.

A slight disclaimer.....the larger stones become, the easier it is to see inclusions, and Steph's stone is a monster 3-carat!!! (drool) That might account for why she passed on many stones...in that size, the inclusions are easier to see. Most SI1 stones in this range (1.00-1.25) should fare a bit better.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
gcallas,

On paper this is a great looking diamond. I am also thinking that you have made a real find - depending on the price being paid. If it is in line with other I/SI1 of similar cut quality, then it is worth purchasing.

rodent.gif

gcallas

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. I do think the 30-day policy gives me a good chance to eyeball it -- though it would be nice to get it right the first time, so I'll ask on the phone (though don't know how much credibility to give a salesperson).

Also, I'll do some comparison shopping online to see if it's in the price range and I'll check out the sites recommended in this thread/forum.

DEVO

Rough_Rock
Without the price it's hard to compare. I started at Bluenile and found much better for the price that I was going to spend. You can probably find a H&A stone with all the same stats or better for the same price.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
gcallas,

You might be able to find a better price on a diamond outside of Blue Nile but.......they own all their stones and will, I repeat, will tell you exactly where the inclusions are and what the diamond looks like. I spent almost 4 months talking with Steve X7912 (whom I highly recommend). They get no commission so have nothing to gain by giving you incorrect info!!! When Steve was not in (rarely) I spoke to several, very qualified, really patient customer service pros who very honest. If you scan the web you will not find any sites on "How Blue Nile stinks or how they ripped me off". Forbes Magazine rates them the best online seller. I have nothing to gain by this as I was just a buyer like yourself. I would trust them and if you have any questions....call Steve.

Things I learned in my search.....Look at the GIA cert and see where the inclusions are and what they look like. If they look ok on the cert the stone is worth asking about. Ask BN to have their gemologist (or in my case - several gemologists) eyeball the stone and describe it for you. I purchased 2 stones from them and they were right on about being eyeclean. I will tell you the reason I returned the first and I loved the 3.38 size!!!! was because I was able to see yellow in the stone. It could be because it was a "monster" but nevertheless...I felt I had to return it. I have an (H) now and I am happy with it. I am one of the people that like the icier stones and if I had another $10K would have gone up in color . I am very happy with my (H) - and my totatlly, totally eyeclean SI1.

Once last thing, I gave all the priscescope vendors a shot as well. I had a budget, a size reqt., min. color , eyeclean and pretty good cut (couldn't afford superideal, H & A in my size). I looked for 4 months and did view dozens of stones. I found that in my case, Blue Nile had what I wanted and......again in my case ....was less expensive that several stones that were offered to me with similar spec by others. You can't just generalize that BN is more expensive. You need to compare apples to apples. This takes time and research. If you don't have time, or are in a rush...I think BN is the way to go because if you don't like it when you get it...you can stare at it for 29 days and send it back. You will only be out a very minor return shipping charge. Probably $15.oo or less!!!!! I would also advise if you are buying from any online vendor to go and purchase a jewelers 10x loupe. They are inexpensive and you can view the diamonds yourself at home with confidence!!!!! I got mine from Dave ATlas in PA. but you can get them anywhere online. Once you find a diamond you want to keep, the loupe will still come in handy when you have your ring cleaned or reset on the outside. You can inspect it to make sure you got the right one.

Sorry to be so wordy, I spent alot of time on finding the right diamond for me. Also, please forgive me but my daughter has had the flu for a week now and I am under house arrest!!!! I haven't really had much adult conversation lately as the hubby has been out of town!!!! Good luck!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
As a counter balance to that, I'll share my experience with Blue Nile.

I found 4 diamonds there that interested me greatly....prices seemed fair, etc. I got in touch and asked for grading reports (only one was available online). The grading reports sent to me via email were nearly impossible to read.

I asked for pics of the diamonds or IS images.....was told they don't provide photographs. I felt as though this company expected me to just buy sight unseen.

Yes, they have a 30-day return policy, but I'd prefer to get enough information up front that I can reasonably expect not to have to return at all.

Like every other vendor, BN has its strengths (good selection of inventory, great return policy, etc.) and its weaknesses (not enough information, poor quality scans on grading reports, somewhat higher prices). The key to any successful purchases is selecting the vendor that provides the best blend of services you are looking for.

Pointing out a vendors strengths and weaknesses shouldn't be viewed as bashing or endorsing....it's simply providing the information folks need to help determine what will best work for them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results