shape
carat
color
clarity

1st time buyer...and nervous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jutdean

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I've been doing my research online and plan to make a purchasing decision this weekend. I am going to start out locally, but if I don't have any luck, I will use the internet. Here are my questions...

1. Should I walk into a jewelry store with print outs of everything I read in hand and reference them anytime they show me a diamond? Will they think I am crazy??

2. From what I have read, I am looking for a round cut, G, SI1, 60-64% depth and 53-59% table, that is about .75 carat (or better for all of these). I hope to find one for around $2,000. Am I out of my mind?

3. Is there any bargaining when trying to purchase a diamond. Can I make an offer? Or should I expect to pay what is listed?

I am given the impression that I should be looking at color, cut, then clarity in that order. Any advice or questions I should ask while shopping would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!:read:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jutdean,

-----
Should I walk into a jewelry store with print outs of everything I read in hand and reference them anytime they show me a diamond? Will they think I am crazy??
-----

-----
From what I have read, I am looking for a round cut, G, SI1, 60-64% depth and 53-59% table, that is about .75 carat (or better for all of these). I hope to find one for around $2,000. Am I out of my mind?
-----

can help you hunting when comparing many stones.

$2,000 for 0.75-G-SI1-GIA is a bit tough but doable in the internet.

-----
Is there any bargaining when trying to purchase a diamond. Can I make an offer? Or should I expect to pay what is listed?
-----

Yes you can always negotiate the price. Just know what you want and how much it can cost you by comparing prices for similar diamonds from the front page of this site.

Hope this helps :)[/u][/u][/u][/u][/u]

jutdean

Rough_Rock
Oh, I forgot one question. How much does it cost to have a diamond I buy on the internet set in a band I bought locally? Or, I guess I should ask, how much SHOULD I pay? Will this affect something like getting it insured or having someone repair the ring?

Cola

Rough_Rock
Here's my experience.

I've purchased the diamond online and bought the ring locally. Most jewelry stores will set the diamond for you if you buy the ring from them. Some don't but may recommend someone who can. I was told they should charge about $40.

Chubb Insurance won't insure my diamond until after it's set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results