shape
carat
color
clarity

1st strand of freshadamas!!!!!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! Up until now, I've only hung out in the CS Forum... but I'm in the middle of a hugely sentimental (and expensive) project and I was getting new jewellry withdrawal symptoms as well as pearl withdrawal symptoms... so decided to treat myself to some beautiful freshwaters!

Cue weeks of indecisiveness and not knowing what to go for and internally crying over my tiny budget... my beautiful, amazing, generous hubby :love: steps in and offers to treat me to the strand of freshadamas I was lusting after :love:

So I placed the order last night!!! Unfortunelty I had to go for the cheaper shipping so it will take 2-3 weeks to arrive (in the UK) :errrr:

So how else to make time pass faster... but join you all here! So looking forward to it, I havnt ever seen a full strand of quality pearls :shock: and so far have only brought the golden south seas from Jeremy (GSS will always be my ultimate love, I don't care how pretty white or tahitian pearls are :naughty: )

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, one cannot go wrong with Freshadamas from PP, looking forward to see you new strand.

DK :))

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh how nice to see you 'over here' dk... I was feeling like the new kid on the block :D

This is to be my first ever strand of pearls... well, actually... second. When I was about 10 my mother brought me back a strand (or was it double) of pearls from holiday and I remember laughing at it thinking "I'm not wearing those granny pearls" :oops:

I ended up losing them and never thought of them again until a week ago. I suddenly just remembered them and had to phone my mum and ask her if she knew whatever happened to them :lol: sadly they are gone/lost. But I do wish I kept them now, not for the quality or anything but just for the fact they were my first ever pearls from my mum =)

Anyway, that is why these pearls are to be even more special... they shall remind me of that story and my dear mum (who still works too hard for us kids)!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been an active member of a pearls related board long before I started to post in PS, and would say I probably know more about pearls than CS.

BTW I am also in UK. :wavey:

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
pictures please......even vendor photos for now will do :dance:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Will definetly post a pic when it arrives. Quick question... are PP freshadamas dyed to be whiter? I know generally freshwaters are but does PP do this too?

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
WHOA! Way to bury the lead there!

You've already bought Golden South Sea pearls from PP?
I think you already have one of the Holy Grails of pearls!

I've also replaced my grandmother's pearls with some Freshadamas from PP, and I couldn't be happier.
I still have my grandmother's pearls in a little jewelry bag. They've been worn to death.
But I reused her diamond and pearl clasp on the new Freshadamas and just call them Nana's pearls.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1455021361|3988727 said:
Will definetly post a pic when it arrives. Quick question... are PP freshadamas dyed to be whiter? I know generally freshwaters are but does PP do this too?

I do not know the answer, however, I "suspect" they go through the same pinking process as Akoyas. I have posted in PG to ask Jeremy to clarify.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PP always indicates when their pearls are color treated, but they really don't sell many of these. The exception are akoya pearls which are all bleached and pinked as part of the 'normal' processing process (with the exception of the natural whites which are highlighted as not having gone through this process).

What size of freshadamas did you get?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that white FWP routinely undergo a bleaching/pinking process at the factory that handles them. The vendors are not the ones who do this.
It is not a disclosed treatment, but rather routine preparation, and the white is not a dye.

There are also unbleached FWP-- they come naturally in shades of pink, peach, lavender, purple, and fancy colors with overtones.
There are also color-treated FWP-- these are the black and gray ones that resemble Tahitians, and if you go on eBay you can find extremely colorful ones (cranberry, blue, deep yellow, etc.)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlsngems|1455027160|3988759 said:
.....and if you go on eBay you can find extremely colorful ones (cranberry, blue, deep yellow, etc.)

Even well-respected vendors such as The Pearl Outlet sometimes offer chocolate and cranberry coloured CFWPs from time to time.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1455031055|3988782 said:
pearlsngems|1455027160|3988759 said:
.....and if you go on eBay you can find extremely colorful ones (cranberry, blue, deep yellow, etc.)

Even well-respected vendors such as The Pearl Outlet sometimes offer chocolate and cranberry coloured CFWPs from time to time.

FWIW PP also sells chocolate Tahitians - right now they have maybe 5 chocolate Tahitian pendants listed on their website - and they're labeled as "color-enhanced" in the item description.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they also sell black akoyas, which are all dyed. Black is not a natural color for akoyas (while blue is.)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, but PP (and other quality vendors) always indicate in their descriptions if the pearls that they are selling are colour enhanced in any way apart from what would be considered "normal processing." Normal processing often includes cleaning the pearls in a solvent designed to take off stains, and in the case of akoyas, pinking. Sometimes pearls are also tumbled in mild abrasives to enhance luster as well (again as part of normal processing).

OTOH, it is common to find dyed freshwater pearls on Ebay being sold as natural coloured GSS, WSS, and Tahitian pearls at hugely inflated prices.

This seems to be coming up a lot lately. Is there some reason why?

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
cmd...because people are ignorant (sorry for using such a harsh word) about pearls.
eta: I mean the buying public when I say people.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And because people like to know more about what they are buying. I refer to first-time buyers.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
And I should clarify: I was speaking about why so many "pearls" are for sale on eBay. As long as people buy, the sellers will continue to sell "Tahitians" and "South Sea" pearls. I of course, was not referring to any of the on-line retailers in the trusted vendors thread! And absolutely correct with first time buyers who seek information...but I fear many learn the lesson the hard way.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait for the neckshots! What size pearls did you get?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got 6.5-7mm on a 16" strand. Prefer chocker style in necklaces. I'm not absolutely sure on the size but I'm very petite and don't have broad shoulders so wasn't sure about much bigger pearls. I wore 7-8mm studs once and... let's just say I felt like I had alien antenna coming from my ears.

I'll state again I've never even seen decent pearls in hand (seen bad ones though) let alone tried any on (a baby and toddler don't make it easy to go shopping :( ) so I also don't know which overtone would look best against my skin. I'm quite tanned with very dark hair but strong ish features. However I absolutely loved the silver overtone (least rose) over rose and ivory so ordered that.

I'm hoping this will be 'heirloom worthy' and don't worry I have no intentions to stop at this, this is just my beginning strand :D

I have grand visions of getting longer and bigger strands as time goes on (but this will always be my special baby first ever strand).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, PSS, as in Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome, exists - the older and bigger in size I get, the bigger the pearls I can wear!

DK :bigsmile:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Argh. So writing my last post really got me thinking... and I pulled out an old pearl ring I have (cheapie one) and measured the tiny pearl. It's 6-7mm!!!! I didn't realise that size was that small!!!! So cue lots of ARRRGGHHHHH panic I frantically emailed PP and Hisano. I've corresponded with Jeremy before but I can't find his email now :wall:

I hope they see my messages before they ship!!! Shipping was due to be either today or tomorrow and although it's midday for me I know it's about 4am for them but arrrghhhh.

If I can get through to them in time and pause shipping, what should I go for? For freshadamas I can only go 1 size up (my budget) because the next size after that, 8.5-9 (what I really want) is a big jump. However if I stick to aaa... I can possibly afford my chosen size (havnt checked prices yet).

Oh I desperately hope they see my messages before they ship other wise I will be stuck.. paying my bank conversion charges, VAT and international currier handling charges are all non refundable and I'm really not in a position I can comfortably pay all that twice...or 3 times times if it goes both ways (if i return to them)!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not use Live Chat (or phone) them at opening time, 10 a.m. Pacific Time? (That would be 6 p.m. UK time).

[email protected] is the email you want, but I would not depend solely on his checking his email in time. Still you could send that email now and also Live Chat or phone at 10 a.m.

Ask them to email you a photo of showing a AAA 8.5-9.0mm lying next to next to a Freshadama 7.5-8.0mm of the same color tone, silver. Then you can decide if going up in size is worth going down in shape and luster.

Here is something to consider:
The 8.5-9mm strand will be about twice the size and weight of the 6.5-7mm strand.
The 7.5-8mm strand will be about 1.5 times the size and weight of the 6.5-7mm strand.

This is because pearls are 3 dimensional-- they are spheres, not flat round circles as they appear in a photo. An increase in 1mm in diameter makes a big difference in the volume of a small sphere like a pearl.

If you are petite, then the 7.5-8.0 mm strand may be plenty large for you.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok Woohoo I've managed to change my order to 7.5-8mm freshadamas!! The price jump to the 8-9mm size even in the aaa was just to large so that made my decision quite easy.

I feel much more at ease now with the size and feel like I can stop second guessing myself. Thank you for the info pearlsngems I did manage to find Jeremys email and just FYI they open at 8am so that was 4pm UK time. I was waiting for the chat feature from 3.30 :lol:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good, glad you got through to them in time!

They must be having extra long hours because of Valentine's Day, surely.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes me too!

I ended up asking for it to be shortened to 15" because I want a choker that's snug against my neck. Anyone have any neck shots of their 15" strand?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1455316645|3990306 said:
Yes me too!

I ended up asking for it to be shortened to 15" because I want a choker that's snug against my neck. Anyone have any neck shots of their 15" strand?

Not me, as choker style does not suit my chunky fat and short neck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results