shape
carat
color
clarity

1mm Wedding Band???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MrsE

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if wedding bands of 1-1.5mm widths exist? If so, where can I find them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

MrsE

MrsE

Rough_Rock
Eeek. I didn''t realize not choosing an avatar would make me stuck with that silly picture
20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What''s the difference between a 1mm wide wedding band and a piece of wire ?
20.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mrs E,
Great avatar ! Don''t you just hate getting stuck with a chessy avatar ?
Valeria''s got a point here in that a 1mm wide band would be too thin to wear by itself and would most likely bend if you were to grab something and squeeze, or bump it hard. You could
get away with it if you were to wear it with another band, particularly if they were soldered together. Also if your finger size is small it would work better, as it would be more resistant to bending in a smaller diameter. It would have to be made of wire, bent to shape and soldered together, as Valeria has mentioned.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I couldn''t find one when I was looking for my wedding ring. I ended up with a 2 mm and it is perfect. I really thought i wanted the thinner but when I tried different rings on the 2 was just fine.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I couldn''t find a 1mm band either. I tried a 2mm, which was fine until I got my anniversary band, but then it was too wide to wear in between the e-ring and anniversary. So now I just have to deal with the space between the 2 rings.

MrsE

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses. A 1.5mm band would also be great. I have an antique mounting for my engagement ring, and something even more delicate than 2mm would look best with it. For purposes of durability, a band under 2mm would probably have to be kind of thick (vertically). It may be a hopeless cause
39.gif
. If anyone has found a band under 2mm, please post!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I believe one of the jewelers on this board said somewhere that you could always pick out a 2mm band or so and have a jeweler sand it down to your desired size....let me see if I can find the link....
34.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Here's the link with also contains another link with pictures of a 1mm band: LINK

And this is what CrankyDave said about using a 2mm:

You're going to either have to have it made or have a 2mm "lapped" down. Most jewelers are going to be able to file and "lap" a 2mm band down to around 1mm. A "lap" wheel (type of buff) is made from hard felt. It's used to put sharp crisp edges on the sides of shanks. Some lap wheels are solid some are split (have slots cut in them from the edge to the center). At any rate, it may seem to be wasteful to have a wider band made narrower but it does allow the craftsman to fit it to subtle curves your band may have during the process if it's deemed neccessary.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2005 8:49:12 PM
Author: MrsE

A 1.5mm band would also be great.
Here''s one LINK
1.gif

p.jpg

MrsE

Rough_Rock
Stretch4: Thank you for the informative link!

Valeria: That is one gorgeous ring!
30.gif
It would probably look lovely with my vintage ring, which is also 18k WG and has engraving on the sides...if only we could afford it!

With our finances, I''ll likely have to get something with no diamonds or very few. Perhaps a nice, thin engraved band.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
For most metals 1mm will make for a very weak ring that can be deformed by the fingers or dented by impacts with anything. I''ve made them in titanium, which is one of the few metals strong and springy enough to keep its shape. Something that thin is very hard to hold onto while machining, so it won''t be offered by many people.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know their width, but I suspect that the Sheldon Speyer Mini Mania rings are around 1 mm.

Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results