shape
carat
color
clarity

1ct. Silver Grey Spinel for an engagement ring

nvrenough

Rough_Rock
the title says what I pretty much look for. 1ct. Silver Gray Spinel for an engagement ring. I contacted the guys from mastercutgems.com they said they don't have anything right now. I am about to propose somewhere around June or after that next year (2017) I just like to do my things early instead of the last moment kinda. Any help would be appreciated to find such stone. This is kinda close to what i am looking for, it's just the color seems too dark and it's 2ct. http://www.customfacetor.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=40

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, welcome to PS! :wavey:

What shape are you looking for (are you only searching for a round, or are you open to other shapes)? And what's your budget? What's your "ideal" color (since you said that the custom facetor one was too dark)?

How about one of these from Gemcal (assuming you are open to shapes other than round, and don't need it to be exactly 1 ct)

http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray/silvery-gray-blue-fancy-spinel-1-27-cts-1238
http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray/steel-blue-fancy-spinel-1-81-cts-2408
http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray/gray-fancy-spinel-1-17-cts-2292
http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray/gray-fancy-spinel-1-74-cts-2272

Also, contact Elle of The Gemstone Project. She had some amazing grey spinels on her etsy page, but they are listed as "on hold" right now. But this GORGEOUS ring is available. Not sure it's "engagement ring-y" enough for you or your intended, but beautiful anyway :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/244995587/155ct-silver-spinel-aurore-halo-ring?ref=shop_home_feat_2

EDIT: Jeff Davies has these 2 on his website, but I'd be curious to see hand pics or video since I'd be a bit nervous about them being overly dark.
http://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/clearance/mj4447-spinel-1-13ct/
http://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/clearance/mj4454-spinel-1-16ct/

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure about the two from his site above (not a huge fan of the cut on those, honestly) but I would contact Jeff Davies - I got an absolutely lovely grey spinel from him a while back, and he sells similar material fairly frequently.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the one that msop04 posted. Its being sold by Niel, a regular PSer, and if she says its beautiful, then I'm sure it is.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1467222039|4049736 said:
My vote is for the one that msop04 posted. Its being sold by Niel, a regular PSer, and if she says its beautiful, then I'm sure it is.

Oh absolutely, it looks beautiful, and as mb said, Niel is a trusted PS member.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back to say also that you should check with Elle, as someone else has previously mentioned. She is almost single handedly responsible for starting the grey spinel craze some many years ago, and I know that she has um, ahem, never been able to pass up a beautiful grey spinel so I would definitely look at her inventory as well. ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nvrenough

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply guys and the warm welcome :) I am looking for a round shape spinel. I am sorry i did not mentioned it earlier. the thing is I already bought the settings and on the webpage it says that the settings accommodates a 1ct. diamond so i assume i can not go put anything bigger than 1ct. but they said i can go with 0.5ct. anyway since i no longer want to get a diamond, I am now looking for this Spinel :) as i write this reply i haven't check the links you guys posted, i am about to.

nvrenough

Rough_Rock
OK i will absolutely contact all those suggested people, and see what they can offer. You guys definitely helped a lot. I was stuck at google search and not much was coming out. Obviously you know more sources ;-) thanks again

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hold on hold on hold on. A 1 ct diamond may not face up with the same propertions as a 1 ct spinel. You can't shop by caret weight here you need to shop by dimensions/size.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we see the setting? A 1ct round?

In the link to the cushion shaped stone you can see a round stone too. That was also from prima and about 1ct too. Ask them if they have it still or anything round in the 6.5mm range

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
You will have to search for diameter rather than carat weight, since spinel and diamond have different properties. You'll be looking for a round that is 6.5mm in diameter (saw a few about that size that run close to 1.2 carats). That part should be easy, the hard part is the depth of the stone, depending on how deep it is it may not fit in a setting designed for diamond, so you have to consider that as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says that it will fit a stone between 6.30 mm to 6.70 mm.

What's your budget? Silver gray isn't for everyone as it is a very shifty colour. Make sure to see one in person before going down this very challenging path. It isn't going to look silver gray all the time. Getting the right colour is tough. Add the round shape and it's tougher. Add that it has to be a specific size..., you get my drift.

nvrenough

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1467306442|4050140 said:
It says that it will fit a stone between 6.30 mm to 6.70 mm.

What's your budget? Silver gray isn't for everyone as it is a very shifty colour. Make sure to see one in person before going down this very challenging path. It isn't going to look silver gray all the time. Getting the right colour is tough. Add the round shape and it's tougher. Add that it has to be a specific size..., you get my drift.

my budget would be $1k. actually I am starting to lean a lot towards that color of the stone from the link from my first post. Anything lither than that and i see combination with green, purple, blue etc. or close to white.

I contacted Elle from etsy, and we already exchanged few messages. So she is also on the lookout for this.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nvrenough|1467268071|4049984 said:
Thanks for the reply guys and the warm welcome :) I am looking for a round shape spinel. I am sorry i did not mentioned it earlier. the thing is I already bought the settings and on the webpage it says that the settings accommodates a 1ct. diamond so i assume i can not go put anything bigger than 1ct. but they said i can go with 0.5ct. anyway since i no longer want to get a diamond, I am now looking for this Spinel :) as i write this reply i haven't check the links you guys posted, i am about to.

I am wondering how you arrived at this conclusion? Did you choose a spinel because of something your fiance asked for? Please don't take this the wrong way, but grey spinel is vastly different from daimond (like different colour, different levels of dispersion), and it may be a huge shock to her if she is expecting a daimond. The other side of this question is that there are other colourless stones out there, like danburite, which are also quite durable (I think?) and share more many more optical properties in commmon with daimond

http://kosnargemco.com/listing/243033907/glamorous-danburite-and-sapphire-ring-in

So while I think you have excelent taste in considering a grey spinel, it might be easier for people here to help you if they have a broader picture of exactly what your priorties are?

nvrenough

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus|1467439079|4050725 said:
nvrenough|1467268071|4049984 said:

I am wondering how you arrived at this conclusion? Did you choose a spinel because of something your fiance asked for? Please don't take this the wrong way, but grey spinel is vastly different from daimond (like different colour, different levels of dispersion), and it may be a huge shock to her if she is expecting a daimond. The other side of this question is that there are other colourless stones out there, like danburite, which are also quite durable (I think?) and share more many more optical properties in commmon with daimond

http://kosnargemco.com/listing/243033907/glamorous-danburite-and-sapphire-ring-in

So while I think you have excelent taste in considering a grey spinel, it might be easier for people here to help you if they have a broader picture of exactly what your priorties are?

my girlfriend's fav colors are gray and black. we've had long conversations about diamonds and engagement rings and stuff, she is totally against me spending $5k on a ring for whatever reason, but i was like (to myself) "no way, I am gonna get you a ring". I know her long enough to know what she likes and what not. One day a co-worker made me look away from the traditional diamond, and consider something different. Her husband gave her padparadscha sapphire, when i checked online, the numbers are not so different from an engagement ring with a diamond.I don't mind using my credit card on a 0.5 carat diamond. I just thought if i go for spinel i will combine the color she likes with her idea of how pointless is to spend huge amount of money on a ring with a diamond for her. So i did all this after i rushed myself on getting the settings last month before considering different type of stone. But after i exchanged a few msgs with Elle from Etsy she told me that the peg head can be modified a lot.The good thing is i have like a whole year to decide and make whatever changes.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's actually really sweet. Thanks for clarifying that you're looking for something a little more off beat, and with some grey or black in it. In this case I am also going to put this one out there as an option (should be on sale at the moment for 600):

http://www.leibish.com/gray-diamonds/fancy-light-gray-round-18041

(although get someone to comment on the inclusions for you).

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

nvrenough

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus|1467518808|4050953 said:
That's actually really sweet. Thanks for clarifying that you're looking for something a little more off beat, and with some grey or black in it. In this case I am also going to put this one out there as an option (should be on sale at the moment for 600):

http://www.leibish.com/gray-diamonds/fancy-light-gray-round-18041

(although get someone to comment on the inclusions for you).

thank you, those two (with the sold one) are too light colored. i am currently working with Elle from Etsy on finding the right stone, i am waiting on her respond as she also is waiting from another person about what i am looking for.

Once again, thanks to all of you guys with the fast respond and help with an advice as to where and who to look for!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey did you find one? Saw this and thought of you they are asking 125 and it would fit your setting most likely

img_20160716_095507.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results