shape
carat
color
clarity

1ct Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock

Hi All,

I have been lurking around here for a while trying to absorb as much knowledge and wisdom as possible. I would like to thank everyone for all their informative posts, and add back to the community with my story.

I have finally taken my first real steps towards the perfect ER for my lady. Based on the good recommendations here, I have been working with Mark at ERD and have purchased the diamond attached (hopefully the photo attachment works). I’ll post a copy of the certificate once I receive it (didn’t think to download the certificate before it disappeared from the diamond listings)

Cushion brilliant
1.04 Carat
6.36 x 5.80 x3.94
colour F
clarity VS1
polish excellent
Symmetry Very good

I am still awaiting ASET photo’s of the stone (as many of you would know ERD has a new ASET camera, but are still trying to figure out how to use it) but will have them before the diamond is set (either from ERD or appraiser if needed).

Next step, a custom pink diamond halo setting in platinum (ERD are currently working on the CAD’s). Basic design is based on ERD’s ‘Sheila’ with a fine bezel instead of the prongs

104fvs1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely in the photo!

An ASET is not totally necessary if you can have it appraised by a qualified appraiser. Will you do so before it is set? Or have you seen it in person? I would be tempted to have it appraised to be sure it is exactly what I wanted before moving ahead with the setting, but you may feel differently.
1.gif

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock

Hi Dreamer,

I live in Australia (Darwin NT), so unfortunately I have no chance of seeing it in person. I am happy to accept Mark''s recommendation that it is a beautiful diamond, after all I asked mark to find me a diamond because I trust his opinion. The main reason I want an ASET photo is for my own records and general enjoyment looking at studying it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 2:03:36 AM
Author: SmallSparkle

Hi Dreamer,

I live in Australia (Darwin NT), so unfortunately I have no chance of seeing it in person. I am happy to accept Mark''s recommendation that it is a beautiful diamond, after all I asked mark to find me a diamond because I trust his opinion. The main reason I want an ASET photo is for my own records and general enjoyment looking at studying it.
You can have it appraised in the US and talk to the appraiser.

But Mark is known for his eye for cushions, if that is good enough for you, more power to you
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Dreamer,

I live in Australia (Darwin NT), so unfortunately I have no chance of seeing it in person. I am happy to accept Mark's recommendation that it is a beautiful diamond, after all I asked mark to find me a diamond because I trust his opinion. The main reason I want an ASET photo is for my own records and general enjoyment looking at studying it.
Mark is the expert and can tell you far more about this diamond than we can, as to ASET the latest word is that he has the equipment but isn't happy with the quality of the images which is his perogative, however he might provide one for you if you ask him.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

Hi Dreamer,

I live in Australia (Darwin NT), so unfortunately I have no chance of seeing it in person. I am happy to accept Mark's recommendation that it is a beautiful diamond, after all I asked mark to find me a diamond because I trust his opinion. The main reason I want an ASET photo is for my own records and general enjoyment looking at studying it.
Stick to your request it is well warranted considering you are shipping a diamond halfway across the world and should eliminate the need for any possible return.

What does it say about the expert if they aren't willing to provide the information necessary so you can discuss and compare visually the light performance of your diamond with others in its class?

The beauty of the diamond is very subjective and no matter how reputable the vendor those comments are subjective, they are ultimately used to sell.

Is the diamond beautiful because its the best one the vendor can find for you right now? Does beautiful mean this diamond is in the top 10% of 4 main cushions the vendor has ever seen or does beautiful mean its the best one of the two or three the vendor called in based on your preferences?

What I can tell you is that by looking at the photograph it looks to be a well cut 4 main cushion but it does have its flaws like these areas of obstruction(which will be dark when viewed faceup) which while small you may want to be aware of and okay with. In addition I wouldn't try to guess most other fine aspects of light performance from the photograph without the aid of an ASET.

The ASET isn't subjective and doesn't care whose eyes are looking at it nor whether the sale is dependant upon its results.

Regards,
CCL

4mainobstruction.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2010 2:50:22 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

What does it say about the expert if they aren''t willing to discuss with you the performance of your diamond strictly on the basis of light performance?
Where does it say Mark isn''t willing to discuss the performance of the stone with the customer?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 2:56:02 PM
Author: Lorelei

What does it say about the expert if they aren''t willing to discuss with you the performance of your diamond strictly on the basis of light performance?
Where does it say Mark isn''t willing to discuss the performance of the stone with the customer?
Thanks L, I''ve edited my post for further clarity.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2010 3:31:01 PM

Date: 3/10/2010 2:56:02 PM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks L, I''ve edited my post for further clarity.
Thanks CCL, I was a bit confused there!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a feeling the following 2 diamonds would be nice. Ask Mark to call in the diamonds - I am pretty sure he has access to them. The vendor has them priced at under $4500 each.

1ctCushionOption1 (Small).jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Carat: 1.04
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 67.8
Table: 58
Girdle: TN-TK
Measurements: 6.12*6.05*4.1

1ctCushionOption2 (Small).jpg

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments on the diamond, I will push for the ASET images. I''m starting to think having an appraiser look at the diamond is a good idea. Any recommendations as to who I should have it sent to (preferably someone who can produce high quality photo''s and ASET photo''s)?

CharmyPoo,
Thanks for pointing out those alternatives. However I am specifically looking for a rectangular shape (approximately 1:1.10) cushion.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 3:46:05 AM
Thanks for the comments on the diamond, I will push for the ASET images. I'm starting to think having an appraiser look at the diamond is a good idea. Any recommendations as to who I should have it sent to (preferably someone who can produce high quality photo's and ASET photo's)?

CharmyPoo,
Thanks for pointing out those alternatives. However I am specifically looking for a rectangular shape (approximately 1:1.10) cushion.
You could arrange to have it sent to an appraiser before the stone comes to you, there are several in the NYC area, the appraiser below has ASET but should you prefer a different appraiser it would be best to ask if they have ASET.

Paul Indorf
GG, ICGA, ASG
Connecticut Jewelry Appraisers
PO Box 521
Chester, CT 06412
Ph: 860-391-3001
www.ctjewelryappraisers.com

www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock
Well, i have an ASET image (looks like ERD still has a little way to go setting up the camera, blues are still not showing up well)
It does seem to have a good distribution of red. Just a little concerned about the size of the green center and the reasonably large blue obstructions as pointed out by CCL.
What do the expert''s think?

!image001.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:22:01 PM
Well, i have an ASET image (looks like ERD still has a little way to go setting up the camera, blues are still not showing up well)
It does seem to have a good distribution of red. Just a little concerned about the size of the green center and the reasonably large blue obstructions as pointed out by CCL.
What do the expert's think?
In addition to obstruction that image is showing a lack of red on most of the edges pf the stpme. That stone will look smaller than it is in real life in some lighting as the edges do not gather overhead light. However if you are planning on putting a halo around this won't matter as much. It an average maybe a little above average 4 main cushion, I've seen better and I've seen much worse as well.

This stone is considerably better http://www.whiteflash.com/premium_select_cushion/premium-select-cushion-cut-diamond-2160880.htm#.

Is there a big price difference between this and the one from WF?

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock
Thanks CCL,
the stone from ERD is $5k exactly, so just marginally cheaper than the WF stone. I was actually looking at WF stones as a point of reference earlier (GOG website is down so i could not compare their stones), i like the one you linked except for the noticeable inclusion under the table. My original request to ERD was a F VS1 cushion with a L/W approximately 1:1.10 bigger is better up to $5k (would consider a G or a VS2 but not a G VS2).

We are both quite colour sensitive and i know my partner would obsess over visible inclusions, hence the F VS1. I am really limited to the $5k limit otherwise i will have to make serious compromises in terms of the colour intensity of the pink halo.
I guess in the end, there needs to be some sort of compromise when you have a fixed budget. Just need to decide if i can live with slightly compromised cut performance to meet colour, clarity, size and $. Or if i should compromise something else in the name of cut performance

40.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2010 11:22:01 PM
What do the expert's think?
Its showing good light return, however as CCL observes the light isn't hitting the edges as much as it could do, this can indicate the stone can lose some power when bright light isn't driving it but I think for all that its worth consideration.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 6:05:03 AM
Thanks CCL,
the stone from ERD is $5k exactly, so just marginally cheaper than the WF stone. I was actually looking at WF stones as a point of reference earlier (GOG website is down so i could not compare their stones), i like the one you linked except for the noticeable inclusion under the table. My original request to ERD was a F VS1 cushion with a L/W approximately 1:1.10 bigger is better up to $5k (would consider a G or a VS2 but not a G VS2).

We are both quite colour sensitive and i know my partner would obsess over visible inclusions, hence the F VS1. I am really limited to the $5k limit otherwise i will have to make serious compromises in terms of the colour intensity of the pink halo.
I guess in the end, there needs to be some sort of compromise when you have a fixed budget. Just need to decide if i can live with slightly compromised cut performance to meet colour, clarity, size and $. Or if i should compromise something else in the name of cut performance

40.gif
The only way you would really know if its eye clean is by asking the vendor, Bob Hoskins from Whiteflash is the guy to speak to and he will be honest with you if you say somethign like "Look at it faceup from 1 foot away in low light" do you see any hint of an inclusion.

Many VS2s are eye clean due to the size of the inclusions no matter where the inclusions are and the idealscope image is not representative of whether its eye clean or not, remember IS images are magnified and contrast enhanced due to the filters.
When GOG is back up I'll have a look for you on their website as well.

I am curious how much is intense or vivid pink melee versus fancy pink in cost per carat for melee.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do not compromise on cut quality. It will make or break your ring.

I really like the VS2 from WF. Call and ask about it being eye clean. You cannot judge from photos. And ask not only about 1 foot away, but closer too if it matters. I would be very surprised if you can see the inclusion in person given the VS2 rating.

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock
Cert for the diamond in Question

CCL,
I''m just in the process of confirming pink melee prices. I''ll post once i have confirmed prices (pricing Fancy, Fancy Intense and Fancy Vivid)

cert smallsparkle.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS1 should be eyeclean but just confirm with the vendor to be absolutely sure.

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock
Pink Diamonds for the Halo

Fancy Intense Pink, 18 stones, 1.7mm, VS-SI Clarity.
Total weight- 0.40ct.

only actually need 14-15, others are ''spares'' incase a stone is lost in the future.

0.40ctFIP 2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh the little pinkies are so pretty
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results