shape
carat
color
clarity

1ct Q? VS Older cut diamond with tiny chip questions

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

So I couldn’t resist ‘winning’ this auction on eBay and I actually am very happy overall with this purchase but I have a question about the small chip. It’s very small under a loop on the top of a lower crown facet just at the girdle. It was described as girdle roughness and it looks more like an abrasion than a chip to me.

The diamond is very pretty and is just about exactly a carat. It has amazing clarity and is approximately a Q - it definitely has a light yellow color. No brown and I like it. It can face up white but mostly I can see the color. I would set it in yellow gold anyway and I think it’s interesting.

The ring fits my pinky but is not at all my style. Too bad!

It has amazing sparkle and fire.

My only question is about the chip. Should I worry about it or just hide it with a prong? I might take it to a local jeweler who can look at it more closely.

Pics and videos! Thanks!

86234873-47C8-4AD1-8057-D9986F629929.jpeg 50EE8C06-445D-4E97-B8E5-CAC6CA12AE95.jpeg B9DBD825-8150-4BC3-A225-819A436A1ACA.jpeg 0E7F0925-FB43-4D31-A77F-B85B091A6B60.jpeg 175242B6-237C-4EF7-B99A-5AA689412263.jpeg 04E8E349-E0C3-4924-9CE7-43F9C22D8C5A.jpeg

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends how you are going to reset it, if it's going into a bezel or a halo or something that would protect it fine, if not then it might need a repolish or to be put strategically under a prong.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends how you are going to reset it, if it's going into a bezel or a halo or something that would protect it fine, if not then it might need a repolish or to be put strategically under a prong.

How complicated is it to send it for a repolish? If it's not structural and I can hide it under a prong, I'm good with that. It seems nice otherwise.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may be a natural. Can you blow up the photo? I freaked out when I first reset my diamond...My diamond has a teeny one so the original setter put it under a prong. The second setter left it exposed. I took one look under the loupe and my heart stopped. It took me four months of stressing out before I took it to an appraiser who took one look at it and said it was a natural. She confirmed it from the plotting diagram on my AGS certificate.I hope that’s all yours is...but it looks small..and it’s pretty diamond...I would make sure it’s prongable...and then set it under the prong..

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Love the diamond and the color is juicy beautiful!

Thanks! I don't know the actual color but it was sold as P/Q - does that look about right to you?

It's seems huge to me since I don't have any others - especially on my pinky finger, sticking up really high! My mom has a carat solitaire and it always seems like a big stone. I don't think I will ever want or need anything bigger. More diamonds, sure, but bigger, probably not....

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It may be a natural. Can you blow up the photo? I freaked out when I first reset my diamond...My diamond has a teeny one so the original setter put it under a prong. The second setter left it exposed. I took one look under the loupe and my heart stopped. It took me four months of stressing out before I took it to an appraiser who took one look at it and said it was a natural. She confirmed it from the plotting diagram on my AGS certificate.I hope that’s all yours is...but it looks small..and it’s pretty diamond...I would make sure it’s prongable...and then set it under the prong..

Kind of blurry when I blow it up. I imagine it’s a chip although it’s sort of strange that it’s looks to be on the facet. There are a couple of other tiny flea bites on the girdle but this is the one I’m most concerned about. ABAA1685-8F19-46C1-B7FD-C6861E67393A.jpeg 503897AE-B7AE-4B00-B036-1D74E438E17A.jpeg

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I would bezel it.. Such beautiful color.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I would bezel it.. Such beautiful color.

You would bezel it to enhance the color or to protect it or both? I'm not usually a huge fan of bezels but maybe a thin one with some milgrain...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would not worry about it one bit.
Do not put it under a prong! Near a prong but away from it would be ok.
Frankly I would not worry about it at all.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
You have been a busy bee!! What a find! Did you return the other, smaller stone?

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
You have been a busy bee!! What a find! Did you return the other, smaller stone?

Lol. I joined this club and got just a little bit addicted. I ‘think’ I’m done shopping now and need to start figuring out how to set these diamonds. I sure did learn a lot here and started small with my purchases and then got myself up to a whole carat. I didn’t spend as much as some people might but it’s definitely more than I normally would spend on myself. It’s been a fun hobby so far! It’s equally fun seeing everyone else’s amazing bling.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Lol. I joined this club and got just a little bit addicted. I ‘think’ I’m done shopping now and need to start figuring out how to set these diamonds. I sure did learn a lot here and started small with my purchases and then got myself up to a whole carat. I didn’t spend as much as some people might but it’s definitely more than I normally would spend on myself. It’s been a fun hobby so far! It’s equally fun seeing everyone else’s amazing bling.

I can't wait to see how you set them!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam at Old World Diamonds has a great polisher, Sako's father at CJD Sako could polish it for you.... I think it also depends on how rough you are with jewellery, if you don't wear it all the time then it also should be fine, if you are like me and bump your hands on stuff then it might be a good idea to have a polisher check it out, and make sure that it, and the girdle in general are O.K.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
You would bezel it to enhance the color or to protect it or both? I'm not usually a huge fan of bezels but maybe a thin one with some milgrain...

Both. Let me see if I can find one for visual.

joelly

Ideal_Rock

Some samples:

A pser has this one, I’m swoon by its beauty:

This is stepcut with bezel then halo which in your case, you can use the rest of the other stones in that ring (imagine the finger coverage):

Another one:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I’m so looking forward to whatever you decide to do with that beautiful stone.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yummy, yummy! Just my favorite kind of stone! Not sure but that looks like an indented natural to me too. I would not worry about it.
Looking forward to seeing that gal in a new setting!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the contrast with the white diamonds in the ring. I might use a yellow cup to bring out the color of the 1 ct. diamond even more and halo it with whiter diamonds.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I actually decided to keep the other one. Not sure exactly what I will do with it but I couldn’t let it go. It’s not as flashy as the bigger one but it ‘flickers’ inside and is just really fun to look at! It’s hard to describe - it’s very lively. It’s personality is different.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I actually decided to keep the other one. Not sure exactly what I will do with it but I couldn’t let it go. It’s not as flashy as the bigger one but it ‘flickers’ inside and is just really fun to look at! It’s hard to describe - it’s very lively. It’s personality is different.

Would you ever consider a diamonds by the yard style of necklace? Or, if you want to be able to look at it, a bracelet?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I was following that auction. I'm glad to see a PSer won the stone and that it is as lively as it is. Best of luck with your setting of choice.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I was following that auction. I'm glad to see a PSer won the stone and that it is as lively as it is. Best of luck with your setting of choice.

Oh that’s funny. I wondered if someone here was interested. I’m glad you don’t think it was a bad decision. Do you think the price was decent?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that’s funny. I wondered if someone here was interested. I’m glad you don’t think it was a bad decision. Do you think the price was decent?

Honestly I don't remember where it actually ended as to price but I do remember thinking it was a good price for a stone that size and color, so yes, I think you got a good deal.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I’d leave it alone and consider a full or half bezel to cover it. It’s a great stone. Sure, you could tweak it with a polish but it looks so small that it can easily be covered and thus protected.

Good find, btw...

The bezeled UV OMC above is mine. I love bezels - call me a hard core bezel babe!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I’d leave it alone and consider a full or half bezel to cover it. It’s a great stone. Sure, you could tweak it with a polish but it looks so small that it can easily be covered and thus protected.

Good find, btw...

The bezeled UV OMC above is mine. I love bezels - call me a hard core bezel babe!

I like some bezels but I think I prefer delicate ones. I’m sure my taste will change and evolve though so who knows. I think my fear of bezels has more to do with covering up some of the stone.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I don't remember where it actually ended as to price but I do remember thinking it was a good price for a stone that size and color, so yes, I think you got a good deal.

I’m not sure but I think it might have fluorescence. I noticed in very bright sunlight it looks ‘dark’ but maybe it’s actually turning blue. Not sure but need to test it out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results