shape
carat
color
clarity

$19k Diamond Budget: 1.6-1.8ct, VS2, G, AGA/True Hearts/AGS0

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock
All,

I'm getting dry mouth just thinking about it but I think I'm ready to make the purchase for an engagement diamond in the next 2 weeks. I plan to check out a few stores this weekend in NYC to compare G vs H, and VS2 vs SI1 to see if I want to compromise, but I think I'm pretty confident about what I'm looking for.

Instead of my original plan of compromising specs for a 2ct, I'm trying to get the best value and best looking diamond for around $19k. My all in price with setting is around $23k but I'm flexible. Probably a simple platinum tiffany 6 prong-like setting.

That being said, I'm looking for a diamond with the most brilliance (like a Hearts on Fire diamond).

Specs:
Round Brilliant
~1.7ct
VS2
G
HCA: ~1

Her ring size is about 5.5.

That being said, since I'm looking for maximum value, could someone help identify some good stones for me? I've seen H&A diamonds, AGA from Whiteflash, True Hearts from James Allen, etc and frankly, sometimes the $/Ct differs quite significantly, but I can't tell the difference (very similar specs).

I know this is a common request, but I would appreciate any help identifying specific diamonds in my criteria.

Some folks have told me that I can get a better deal at a B&M shop in NYC (even chinatown) and have them appraised - significantly less than online prices. However, my understanding was that online prices are pretty much rock bottom, especially for the specs I'm looking for. I assume B&M makes more sense when you're looking at lower quality stones (SI1) where you want to ensure the inclusions are only on the side/bottom, etc.

Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Re: $19k Diamond Budget: 1.6-1.8ct, VS2, G, AGA/True Hearts/

james allen is a great choice for the best prices i have seen around... they also have an NYC office where you can have their online stones on hold (up to 3 at a time) and get them pulled for you to look at physically together with their in-house gemologist. I used them for my e-ring stone and they are amazing, informative, and friendly, not to mention the best prices !

in terms of setting, if you're thinking about a solitaire, you really don't need $4K for even a platinum one. most are under $1500, so you do have a couple more grand to focus on the center stone.

i saw this one online... H&A and fits into your criteria ... if you are remotely interested i would suggest you put this on hold immediately before lurkers take it off the market ...

1.67ct G VS1 Hearts & Arrows
pricescope discounted price $18,910 (PLUS additional 1.5% wiring discount) :
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1304506.asp

1.70 G VS1 Hearts & Arrows
pricescope discounted price $20,090 (PLUS additional 1.5% wiring discount) :
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1307890.asp

redundant

Rough_Rock

Hey there, I was in your shoes one month ago and I know exactly how it feels! Looking back on my ering purchase, I would do a couple of things differently. One thing that I did not want to do was pay tax on a stone, as that can add up fast especially with your budget. Given that you want the best bang for your buck you might want to check out the Brian Gavin Blue line. Here is a link to an awesome looking stone http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050981010 that meets your size criteria and is underneath your budget.

I wish I would have known about the BGD blue line before my purchase because I honestly feel that the second thing people notice after the cut is the carat size. For the money it seems like the BGD Blue line cannot really be beat. As for the color I suppose you can look in a retail establishment to see if you can notice the difference between a G and a J and adjust your specs accordingly. The fiancee and I are not that color sensitive, and knowing this now I wish I would have moved down from the G stone I purchased in order to obtain more carats =]. Anyhow good luck in your search!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just note you do not need an HCA around 1. The HCA is a rejection tool, so as long as the diamond scores under 2 (or a little over sometimes, due to rounding error in the estimates of the angles) it is worth further consideration. If you have an idealscope image, you don't need to use the HCA at all.

Luckycharms

Rough_Rock

Also - don't get too hung up on the H&A stuff. Find one that is cut to ~ ideal parameters 53-57% table, 58-62% depth, crown angle around 34.5%, and a pavillion angle around 40.75%.

I had the same questions and there's not many people that would be able to tell you the difference between an ideally cut diamond and an "offical" H&A diamond. Remember, H&A is a byproduct of a great cut.

The stone I purchased exhibits H&As but is not a branded one...but it's among the more brillant/firey diamonds I have seen (compared against Tiffany diamonds, Cartier, modified cuts like Solfersoa sp?)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Luckycharms|1304008728|2907085 said:
Also - don't get too hung up on the H&A stuff. Find one that is cut to ~ ideal parameters 53-57% table, 58-62% depth, crown angle around 34.5%, and a pavillion angle around 40.75%.

These are fine rules of thumb, but too strict to search with IMO, it will eliminate some combinations that work well together. It is simpler to use the HCA to assess proportions, after picking stones with AGS0 or GIA Ex grades. Could also try GIA VG or AS1 grades too ,as some have ideal proportions.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock

If you have some time, I'd suggest you go to my jeweler, Allen. The name of the store is called Bianca's Jewelry and it's on Lexington Ave between 54th and 55th Street. He has access to all of the diamonds in the diamond district and can pull them in advance, so that's not an issue. But the reason I love him and his staff is because they LISTEN to you, they think outside the box and most of all, they're not pushy! Lastly, you'll see a distinct difference once you step into their shop. Their jewelry is really really really clean, elegant and refined. They only deal in VS2 and above. Allen is a Gemologist as well as a Jeweler.

p2aTHX

Rough_Rock

Thank you all. Very informative and helped to provide perspective.

I guess I am leaning towards a 'branded' stone, rather than just meeting those spec/dimensions, because of simplicity and guarentee of the highest quality.

I am going to a store this weekend in NYC and will see if I can line up Allen in the next week to compare different diamonds.

The main tradeoff now is G vs H, and VS2 vs SI1.

This was interesting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618009.htm

As was the other 1.7+ G stones (for about 10k more).

Once again, my budget is flexible - seems like most of the stone recommendations are from whiteflash and james allen. what about GOG? ERD? BGD?

Thank you.

austere

Rough_Rock

Here's the H&A stone I ended up going with from Brian Gavin.
1.5ct, VS2, I
BG.jpg

I was a bit unsure until I saw it in person..now it's a done deal :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

GOG is slightly more expensive in general but better policy. ERD do not have images online but will be able to get you images if request, so more difficult to choose from.If you are visiting NYC, give them a call for an appointment too if you find anything you like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results