shape
carat
color
clarity

19k and platinum

abcunnin

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have a round brilliant solitaire engagement ring in platinum and am looking for my wedding band now. I found a custom-made wedding band that I love, but it is made with 19k white gold. I have never heard of this, but the jeweler said it would be completely fine and that it doesn't change color like other white golds. He said he would not question buying it, especially because I would save money. But, I'm concerned about the metal difference between my engagement ring and wedding band. They will custom make it in platinum. Like I said, I like this option if experts wouldn't be concerned.

This ring was 1.95 mm with 25 .01 carat diamonds set in a shared-prong setting (not completely around the ring, which I liked in terms of comfort). The stones were G/VSI, I believe. My engagement ring diamond is H VSI (1.2 carats).

In terms of pricing, the white gold was $1800 and the platinum would be $2550.

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color of white gold not only depends on the amount of gold present, which is indicated by 19k, but also on what types of metal is used to alloy gold with and no info is present on that. Ask him for a non-rhodium plated one so that you can see the alloy's real color and compare it with your Pt ring, most will be slightly, very slightly yellow, depending on your sensitivity you might notice the difference, probably will as the 2 rings will be side by side.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
+1 :))

You need to see the ring non rhodium plated to make sure there won't be a noticeable difference with your e-ring. It may also depend if you are color sensitive or not.

abcunnin

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your advice. I read on a couple earlier posts that metal on metal, when they are different types, can wear on each other and damage your rings. Would this be a concern with a platinum solid band on a shared-prong 19k white gold band (2 mm approx.)?

abcunnin

Rough_Rock
Bump for my second question:

I read on a couple earlier posts that metal on metal, when they are different types, can wear on each other and damage your rings. Would this be a concern with a platinum solid band on a shared-prong 19k white gold band (2 mm approx.)?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Metal on metal wear is minimal, but there will be some. More importantly are the diamonds in the share prongs, do the girdle extend beyond the width of the band, if so, it will easily cut into the other metal band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results