shape
carat
color
clarity

1928 OEC solitaire ring

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Got a new baby, although I am already thinking about selling her.

She is absolutely gorgeous! Measured at 6x6,09mm I would guess somewhere between 0.80ct and 1ct, what do the experts think? Absolutely eye clean and I could not find anything significant under the loupe, so I assume good clarity. She faces up white unless compared to a small E that I have (side by side), she does show a bit of tint from the side when putting her on a piece of white paper, so she might be around a K, what do you think? I have only had higher colors (H and up) before so I am not amazing at the differences between I to L.

I adore the setting, a tapered cathedral solitaire, around 2mm wide and with 8 prongs. Bet that from looking at it you would not guess she is an original from 1928. She is 18kt yellow gold with white prongs, no idea if the are plat or white gold.

The best part? She was an unbelievable deal because I got her at a pawn auction and they had missed that she was a diamond! I just don't understand how they could have missed that ( I have had it checked that she is the real deal, don't worry, even the appraiser commented that she was a beautiful example of old cuts). So she was represented as a 18kt gold ring with a stone. So thank you to pricescope and everyone who contributes here, without learning from you I would probably not had a clue.

hand oec.JPG

pen oec.JPG

hand oec1.JPG

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
some more

hand oec2.JPG

side tint oec.JPG

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you! What a find. The diamond is beautiful!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! No doubt you could make money on it, but I say keep it!

cec

Rough_Rock
I love the side details - you should keep it, it's really unique.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1299944704|2870149 said:
So pretty! No doubt you could make money on it, but I say keep it!
The reason I am thinking of selling is that I originally planned to take the OEC and put it into a pendant. My e-ring is a bit bigger and I don't think I would wear two engagementy rings at the same time and once I get my OMC back I don't think it will leave my finger again.

It just feels wrong to take an OEC out of a lovely original setting that is in mint condition and I have an inkling that the OEC would be to big for me in a bezel-ed pendant that is going to have interchangeable drops to hang from it. When trying pendants I really liked the 0.40 and 0.50ct sizes and that was in a 4 prong basket setting.

Do you guys that have several lovely diamond rings feel like you end up wearing the same one all the time?

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
Love the 8-prong look! So cool!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, just beautiful! Wish I had that kind of luck!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a deal and a beautiful one at that. I have several diamond rings that would work as erings but I wear them as RHR. I would either do that or go ahead and mount it in a pendant. Something that gorgeous should be enjoyed.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
well, if you want to sell it, just make sure you give us a head's up, cause it's stunning!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
marcy|1299952083|2870235 said:
What a deal and a beautiful one at that. I have several diamond rings that would work as erings but I wear them as RHR. I would either do that or go ahead and mount it in a pendant. Something that gorgeous should be enjoyed.

I just have to say Marcy that I love your collection, I want one like it. Currently working on it.

I totally agree that the ring should be enjoyed. I just don't think I would wear it that much once I get my OMC back. I have a small tranny set in a wonderful french cut "emerald" setting from 1921 and my original setting that is being reset with a bluish spinel and a rhodolite set in an 8 prong setting on it's way. I am hoping to slowly build up a colored collection like yours. So I think I am pretty much covered on the RHR front. Do you think it would work as a pendant?

The thing is although I want my e-ring to be gaudy, I am not that over the top with the rest of my stuff. My studs are 0.25 or 0.30 ct in total in white gold buttercup settings and I honestly don't want them any bigger. I have a 6mm amethyst pendant and while I like it in gemstones I have the sneaky suspicion that 6mm will be to big for a diamond.

Diamondseeker- I agree I am very lucky in this find. I did make an other great find a couple of years ago but I was insecure back then in my own knowledge and had it checked before I bought it. So stupid. Everyone was looking and speaking to me like I was stupid in believing that it was diamonds but after 10 min I got them to check. You should have seen the shock on their faces. Turned out it was real, an antic cluster ring with a ca 3 ct Ceylon blue( not using the name lightly, probably untreated since it was at least 100 years old) natural sapphire surrounded by 5 pointer old mine cuts. But since I was stupid and had it checked before the auction the price went thou the roof. Before me opening my big mouth, it could be had for 200 dollars.

lapeliroja- Thank you, the funny thing is I love 8 prong settings and have a rhodolite being set in an 8 prong setting right now. Wish I was a redhead.

mrs.taylor- Thank you, will be sure to give a heads up

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Now back to the topic of todays show, a stunning OEC in the ideal ( in my world) solitaire

oec box.JPG

high crown oec.JPG

rainbowoec.JPG

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
A question for the experts regarding color. I am pretty sure it is higher than an M (quickly compared to a M/N when in the store and this looked white white white beside it) and lower than an H. How much of a tint is needed to pass the J level?
I know you cant tell from photos but maybe tell me what I should look for. Adding two photos on white copying paper with only natural light but the curtains drawn so it was a bit dark.

colorsideoec.JPG

colorfaceoec.JPG

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Man oh man! You did really well with that!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my... what luck! She's a beauty :love:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful find!!! :love:

Enjoy!

Cachette :))

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: SCORE! Woo hoo! :appl:

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all!
I tried to take a photo from far away for those looking for perspective, It is a 6x6.09mm stone on a size 5 1/4 finger. I took it without any extra light since otherwise it looks much bigger.

oec far.JPG

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find and beautiful ring, I love the setting!

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
I love it! She is so pretty!! Enjoy :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Natasha, how fun to start working on your colored stone collection. I am a total sucker for gemstone rings (ooh there's a surprise to PSers). I don't care for really big pieces of jewelry either. For studs I like 4mm the best. I did find for pendants though anything smaller than about 5mm kind of gets lost on my neck so I don't think the 6mm would look that large on your neck. Maybe go try on a carat solitaire in the store and see what you think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results