shape
carat
color
clarity

1920''S 3 stone dinner ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
This is an heirloom ring from the 20's. The center stone is about 2.60 and the other two stones are about 2 carats each.
The platinum setting contains 18 small diamonds totalling .40.
I had it appraised some time ago and do not recall the exact specs on the stones but I recall that,although they were vvs and vs1, they are not great color--about K or L.The culets are open.
I rarely wear the ring because it is too flashy. I think the old cut diamonds sparkle more than the modern cuts.

Since I inherited it, it has sentimental value but I did not realize that Eurpean cut diamonds were back in demand. When I last inquired, I was advised that the stones were not worth much and that I should have them recut. I thought it might be interesting for those who love old things, as I do, to see how beautiful the old settings are.

Do old European stones sell for the same price as comparables of modern cuts?

4 20 04 mark 005.jpg

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Other photos did not load. Here is another.

4 20 04 mark 003.jpg

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Third photo. Sorry but we do not know how to photograph diamonds. Everyone else gets such beautiful pictures and mine looks like dirty glass. The stones are clean with no visible imperfections.

4 20 04 mark 004.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recut those? Not this life time... Awesome
1.gif

Not to mentiuon that those three look like very well cut OECs.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!
love.gif
Your ring is INCREDIBLE!

Thanks for sharing.

Michelle

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I would not *NOT* get those stones recut, that ring is gorgeous as is!

You are right, Old cuts are becoming very popular again. If I were you, I'd get an appraisal done by someone like Dave Atlas (whose an Old Cut expert) and insure it for full value. That ring is too lovely to hide away!

win

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful! I love OEC's.

You can also take the stones out and have something else built using them if you want something for more daily wear...e.g. a pendant and a ring or similar....if you can bear to break the setting up! It seems a shame that such a stunning piece with such great stones is not worn!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Blinding!

Please, please, PLEASE don't mutilate those stones or that setting. It's so beautiful!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, that is absolutely stunning. Personally, the warm colors of those stones make them even more appealing and give them their true character. I'm off to find Bagpuss now. She needs to see this. Please, please don't recut them. You have a real treasure on your hands.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your nice comments about my ring.I never had any intentions of recutting the stones or doing anything to change the ring. I love antiques and old workmanship and I love the setting. Also, it was left to me and there is sentiment attached to it.
However one reason I was reluctant to wear the ring was that I felt it was ostentatious and looked far more valuable than it actually was.The stones are blazing and people have have come from across a room to see it.
Then when I said I had inherited it, I got comments like,"Oh they are old miners and not worth much but they look nice." I felt foolish wearing a ring that was a lot of splash with little value. I feel better about wearing it now. To me it always had great value but I was unaware until I came to Pricescope that European cuts are appreciated now.
As with antiques and other things that represent past skills, there was a trend toward having everything new and modern and many beautiful old things were discarded or destroyed because they were no longer in fashion. I do antique restoration and I am frequently saddened by what people have done to fine old things to "improve" them, like cutting down feet or repainting over a 300 year old finish.
Thanks again for your sincerity and lovely comments. I have learned so much in the short time I have been on Pricescope.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful. I'd leave it as it is. Someday you'll probably want to wear it and you'll be glad you left it intact.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/22/2004 10:24:21 AM solange wrote:

I felt foolish wearing a ring that was a lot of splash with little value. ----------------

Huh? his surely does no appear as "little value' to this person here... It should have been a very 'special' circle where this piece would appear not so valuable. Sorry for the obnoxious comments you describe, those were completely inappropriate
angryfire.gif
Walking around while having your jewelry prices sounds awful
sad.gif
especially if all the respective public knows about jewelry value is the tag in the jeweler's window.

I am not at all surprised that your ring gets plenty of attention! This usually says it all
10.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful ring.

Your question:

Do old European stones sell for the same price as comparables of modern cuts?

I believe the answer is no, they are considerably cheaper. Not cheap though.

I am a consumer but maybe Oldminer (Dave Atlas) will be able to give you a better idea of the ration to price between the two cuts.

Oh, and Old miners or Old Mine Cuts and Old European Cuts are two different cuts. Old Mine Cuts look sort of square rather than round.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.diamondexpert.com/articles/cut.html

The above link explains the different cuts.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the information Pyramid.
Can anyone give me advice as to how to get better photos of diamonds? We are having trouble with this.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
My mother has some of these older rings and I just love them! That one is stunning!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stunning Ring...Just Beautiful.....
21.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you who love old European stones, Sotheby's New York Arcade Auction on April 20 has some beautiful rings,particularly toward the end of the sale.

The catalogue is on line for browsing on their site. This is NOT a plug for Sotheby's. The stones are not certified and the only information available on the site is size. You would have to be a pro to buy here.

But they do have some beautiful pieces and interesting old settings that might be a source of ideas. They have a three stone in a setting very similar to mine (above). The stones are smaller and it is gold plated platinum. It is an interesting sale.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking of your ring browsing that place!!! Do you know the lot # ?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Valeria:

The Lot number of the ring similar to mine is 229.I hope you enjoy looking. They have a lot of interesting old pieces of jewelry.

----------------
On 4/4/2004 6:02:34 PM valeria101 wrote:

I was thinking of your ring browsing that place!!! Do you know the lot # ?

----------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results