shape
carat
color
clarity

1900''s Royal Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RA1973

Rough_Rock
It is the 1900''s and the Asscher''s are cutting a new square cut, they name it the Asscher cut. Back then what was the most popular setting for this new diamond cut? What were the distributors of the diamonds setting this diamond in? I am in the process of obtaining a Royal Asscher diamond (loose) and I really want to make this ring special by making it look like it was from the 1900''s.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
try www.faycullen.com
and please post pics of your asscher!
3.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Click on THIS for some sample settings too. Type "asscher" in the search box and it'll give you quite a few pics.

RA1973

Rough_Rock
Seems my research is pointing me towards an Art Deco mounting, which is tough because I have always been a fan of the Solitaire, X or U cross (cathedral type), mountings. Both sites have been of great help for looking around, so thanks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
actualy the royal asscher is far from the 1900''s asschers.
Its a different cutting pattern with more facets.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can surely have a solitaire that looks ''antique'' - these simple rings have always been around.

Try Nelsonrarities and Estatediamondjewelry for some inspiration. There isn''t allot to say about a soitaire ring, but one can tell old from new.

Say, the ''1895'' solitaire from Cartier is such a style (a basket set solitaire with a few small stones pave on each side of the shank.

I am not sure that the Royal asscher looks like the old ones - if anything, the new stones might be better (more brilliant, and larger, a better finished more symmetric cut than some old stones, etc.). The look is not the same, but then, the old Asschers were not standardized by all means, you get a variety of proportions and hence looks among them. It so happens that a certain type became representative for the kind, so something like the piece below might be expected.

6b.jpg

Some modern square step cuts might have the right look, but I am not sure those are RAs or would be nearly as brilliant as the RAs.

btw, the pieces at Faycullen are not old - these are new ''antique style'' more or less true to the claimed edwardian style they try to update.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring is still rather instricate

1.jpg

from Ekantiquejewelry.com

but not all are

2-37ctasschercut3b.jpg

1925 asscher ring at Nelson Rarities

Ring1.804675B

and one at Estatdiamonds (actually, some of the rings there look like new 'antique style'. I would thin the know and will tell you which is what).

Of the stores cited, Nelsonrarities only carries antique & estate. The other mix and match to gather a certain look, as far as I can tell.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what beauties, valeria!

Here''s another ring from Nelson Rarities site. This is a Cartier ring from 1922. Its design is fairly streamlined (perhaps one of the things you like about the solitaire), but it also has an authentic feel to it.

asshercut.jpg

RA1973

Rough_Rock
Oh wow, this has helped so much! Lovely suggestions, I really like your pictures Val!!!

Decisions, decisions, decisions,
FM

ps.
yes, the RA is a new cut, with a couple more facets, but deep down it is still the same look overall (to me). The RA still screams out to me 1900''s.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results