shape
carat
color
clarity

19.2K (Portuguese) Gold turning red!! Is this normal? Please help thanks!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I'm very upset about a pair of earrings and thought to seek some advice from you knowledgeable peeps!

I bought a pair of 19.2K gold earrings from Portugal end of last year. It costed around 2800 euros. However I've noticed that it's starting to turn red in several places. Is this normal? (More images in attachments)

(By the way, 19.2K is Portugal's special mix of gold, which is 80%, so 5% higher than the normal 18K gold.)

IMG_9379.jpg

I've asked the shop about this, and they said it's just perfume and cream getting onto the earrings and I can try scrub the earrings gently with soap and toothbrush. BUT I don't wear perfume ever, and I don't see how cream can get onto the front (and middle) of earrings. PLUS, I have 18K gold rings and necklaces that I wear all the time, to the shower, and apply cream all over, and they haven't tarnished at all.

I've tried using toothbrush and soap, but it didn't work. I've also tried to dip the earrings in the Hagerty Gold Clean (the Hagerty Silver Clean was recommended by the shop staff for cleaning silver) and it also did nothing to clean the tarnish.

So what could've caused the earrings to turn red? Does placing silver and gold in the same jewelry box cause problems? And how can I clean it? Would a ultrasonic machine help? And is it possible that the gold content is not 19.2K as claimed?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_9373.JPG
    IMG_9373.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9376.JPG
    IMG_9376.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9378.JPG
    IMG_9378.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9380.JPG
    IMG_9380.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 71WpI+MADdL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpeg
    71WpI+MADdL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 85

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s tarnish or oxidation of the metal, unless 24ct gold it is a gold alloy ie other metals mixed in and it’s the other metals reacting to the oxygen in the air, skin oils and/or hair products, creams etc. It seems to be the solder points that are affected. It could be the solder is a different / lower type of gold alloy? An ultrasonic won’t remove it, I’d try soaking in white vinegar for 15 minutes then scrubbing with a toothbrush before rinsing under water. You may need to clean them regularly to keep the tarnish at bay.
You could also use an impregnated silver cloth, note this is a mild abrasive polish, but getting into the filigree and small corners will be tricky.
If in doubt about gold content, take to a pawnbroker or gold buyer who has a XRF gold testing machine.

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
It’s tarnish or oxidation of the metal, unless 24ct gold it is a gold alloy ie other metals mixed in and it’s the other metals reacting to the oxygen in the air, skin oils and/or hair products, creams etc. It seems to be the solder points that are affected. It could be the solder is a different / lower type of gold alloy? An ultrasonic won’t remove it, I’d try soaking in white vinegar for 15 minutes then scrubbing with a toothbrush before rinsing under water. You may need to clean them regularly to keep the tarnish at bay.
You could also use an impregnated silver cloth, note this is a mild abrasive polish, but getting into the filigree and small corners will be tricky.
If in doubt about gold content, take to a pawnbroker or gold buyer who has a XRF gold testing machine.

Thank you so much! I actually tried the boiling water + aluminium film + baking soda method yesterday and it managed to clean the tarnish!!

Do you know if storing gold jewellery with tarnished silver jewellery will cause the (18/19K) gold (to tarnish as well?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any metal unless pure can tarnish.
I had an 18ct ring stored in a cheap ring box for about 6 months and that alone made it go weird. Was able to clean it off but it was some reaction with either the dye or glue used in the ring box.
I would store them separately from silver, but that’s just me.

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
Any metal unless pure can tarnish.
I had an 18ct ring stored in a cheap ring box for about 6 months and that alone made it go weird. Was able to clean it off but it was some reaction with either the dye or glue used in the ring box.
I would store them separately from silver, but that’s just me.

Wow that’s good to know, thank you so much! Sorry to bother you again … but how did you clean the 18k ring that time? Were you able to clean the tarnish using the vinegar method? I’m thinking of trying it next time if my earrings tarnish again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results