shape
carat
color
clarity

18k white gold vs. Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cavv123

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm planning to purchase an engagement ring and wedding bands in 18k White gold. My questions are...Is 18k white gold very similar to platinum? Will someone be able to tell that they are not platinum by just looking at it?
Finally...which will widstand the daily use better?

Thanks for your help.
CAVV123:rolleyes:

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Hi CAVV123,

Well, as far as appearences are concerned, there is hardly any difference between Platinum and white gold. White gold is dipped in Rhodium to give the final product a whiter look, this will wear off within a year or two, and your ring would appear with a slight yellow tint.
Platinum, on the other hand, does not require any plating.

Platinum is definately more durable than 18kt.

Having said all this, please keep in mind, that after you bought your ring, it is still recommended to visit your local Jeweler for cleaning and polishing, at least once a year.

Good luck.

scaasi

:wavey:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
White gold will last a lifetime, while platinum will last three or four lifetimes. Which is one of the reasons it costs about four times as much as white gold.

It is a heavier, more dense metal, wearing better than white gold. It also is 100% precious metal, while 18k is 75% precious metal and 25% alloy. The precious metal of platinum is intrinsically more valuable than gold as well.

Platinum has a softer, duskier look to it, while white gold has a shinier, slightly harder look to it (very subtle nuances). A platinum prong setting is a must (in my opinion) for diamonds 3/4 carat and larger (although a lot of people insist on their high quality 1/3rds to 1/2's being set in platinum as well). White gold prongs can "break", while platinum prongs "give". The latter reaction is a much better one for keeping your diamond in the setting.

That all said, would I choose platinum over gold? Not necessarily. If the extra cost of platinum didn't bother me, and I didn't have something else I'd rather spend it on, I'd get the platinum. Otherwise I'd get the gold and take a week's vacation with the difference.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Another platinum question?

I was also told that the differences between the two are:

1)white gold, when scrached, rubbed, knicked, and so forth, the actual metal coating and the gold under it gets rubbed off; whereas with platinum gets moved around and when polished gets put back in place and is smooth again. Thus you don't loose the platinum.

2)A downside to pl., if you bend a pl. prong or band, it is very difficult to reshape and repair the prong or band, in comparison to w.gd.

Any truth to these statements?

Also does anyone know much about the new titanium rings out there? I have only seen them in mens rings!

cavv123

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I really appreciate the prompt responses on my question.

Thanks,

Carlos V:twirl:

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
My sister totally bent her PLAT engagement ring out of shape and beyond repair. It cost her $250 for a new shank.

(4) of my diamond rings are WG including my engagement ring.
I have (1) sapphire ring that is PLAT and I happen to like the WG rings better.

PLAT is very heavy and looks dull.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Carlos;

Go with the Platinum. Costs more, but it's
well worth it. Sturdier, color won't fade,
and most importantly the prongs will hold your
diamond securely; the same can't be said for white-gold.

You do this once, friend; do it right.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

BigLou

Rough_Rock
There have been a lot of good responses but there were some key things brought out that are worth really looking over before you make your decision.

Platinum although more dense and more expensive has two cons that bother me. 1) is that yes it is more durable but the quality of the original shine will most likely never be reached again. The metal is very difficult to buff back to the original shine and therefore it has tendency to "matte" over time. Even with visits to the local jeweler. 2) Platinum, when scratched, does not lose a thin piece of metal; it changes the whole structure of the ring (even if only on the smallest level).

WG will lose the the rhodium finish and have a tendency to yellow or "warm" over time. It can always be buffed back to it's orignal shine but when it is scratched it will lose a think piece of metal.

In the end you have to weigh the pros and cons yourself and just pick. I would suggest that no matter which choice for the setting you should get a platinum head. It will keep the stone more secure over time. Good Luck.

skc28

Rough_Rock
Are the comments for white gold also applicable to yellow gold? Also, does anyone know a good jeweler or website for higher-end yellow gold settings?

Thanks!

BigLou

Rough_Rock
The answer to that is yes except anything about the rhodium plating. Yellow gold is untreated and therefore the color (to my knowledge) will never change. I would suggest finding a local jeweler who makes his/her own jewelery. You may pay more, but you can be a part of the entire process. It takes out more of the guesswork. Good luck.

lynscott

Rough_Rock
I've been seeing titanium and stainless steele options for men's rings out there - how are these comparable to platinum and even to the white gold? I'm leaning toward platinum since I know my fiance is going to be out in the elements with his ring and want it to be the strongest available.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results