shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking into buying Center stone for engagement Ring..

Azzy

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buying an engagement ring. I wanted to go through Robbins Brothers or Zales or another store where I could Go in and pick out a ring. After reading around, it seems like my best bet would be to buy a diamond online and then get the setting from a store.

I was looking into purchasing a 1 - 2 Carat Diamond. My budget is around $12,000 with a setting. $10,000 would be even better. What would be a size carat diamond I could realistically get for around $10,000.

I know she really would want a diamond closer to 2 carats, but that just seems like with that budget it would be unrealistic.

I am looking into princess cut, round cuts or cushion cuts.

VS1- VS2 and I-G

What websites do you guys suggests? and are all these sites really trustworthy?

Azzy

Rough_Rock
Ill add a bit more information. I am looking to spend a bit more for a bigger diamond. I know she wouldn't want me to spend $10K but for the size rock she wants, I know it won't cut for that budget.

I make a 66k Salary, what would you guys think my budget should be?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI!
Welcome to PS- it's a bit slow on the weekends, hence lack of reply.
You're asking very good questions.
About the salary, if we listen to the promo materials, you "should" spend 2 month's salary.
Personally I feel it's presumptuous to suggest to someone how to spend their money.
$10k is a generous budget- but not necessarily for a 2ct center diamond.

As you will discover, there's a range of different type of services offered by sellers.
The most costly would generally be a brick and mortar store.
A lot of folks feel that it's worth it, being able to walk into a store as opposed t buying online.

Looking online will net you a variety of different types of sellers- offering different levels of service.
They range from sellers of "virtual" diamonds- lists with many thousands of choices, most without photos. Yo u can also see a lot of sites with photos- right up to some of the biggest names in the business, that sell online.

My own feeling is that consumers are best served figuring out which type of seller is best for them. I also feel that buying stone and setting together can protect consumers, and avoid certain pitfalls.

Do your due diligence- research both online as well as Brick and Mortar stores ( relatively easy online)- then speak to the sellers to see where you feel most comfortable.

My perspective is as a seller.
I'm quite sure other PriceScope members will also chime in to give you some thoughts from a consumer perspective.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree there is no amount of money you "should" spend on an engagement ring. I find its a mix of salary, location, age, and social circle that usually sets the budget. If you are comfortable paying 10k thats great! Thats much more than many have for a ring. But to reach the size youd like, youd have to lower some specs to get there. for example, this stone is pretty low in color, but over 2ct for just over 10k

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/223ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/27849013_3rQnfH#!i=2372623533&k=G72VcZf

Now, many people would love a stone like that on here, but then again, your GF very well may NOT be one of those girls. So i think its important to know just how important size is to her. Where you live is it common to have a 2 ct ring? Do most of her friends have that large a stone?

Because i "really would want a diamond closer to 2 carats" too, but I know my social circle, age, and budget constraints, and would never actually expect to get one at this point in my life.

Also, its important to note a 2ct cushion or princess will face up smaller than a 2 ct round.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results