shape
carat
color
clarity

1890s krementz pearl/diamond/ruby pin.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I went to the NYC spring antique vintage jewelry show, lots of amazing vendors including some well known ones like Jewels by Grace, Jogani, Courtville etc. I was on a mission to enjoy every piece of eye candy and come away with one treasure that I thought was unique, spoke to me, and was in budget haha. After spending 4 hours looking at every vendor, I eventually decided on this piece, in part because of the pearl since I’m a huge pearl fan.

It’s a Krementz piece from the 1890s, 14k gold with enamel, a single cut diamond, a small but very red ruby, and of course a natural pearl.

So many things I love:

The bail swivels and can hinge down to hide when you wear it as a pin!

The pearl is drilled through and held in place by a small pin which you can see from the back.

The leaves! Oh my goodness these leaves. The detail of the veins, the beautiful ombre enamel coloring, the sharpness of the outside edges like on real leaves. The graceful organic curves. Swooon.

The richness of the gold.

I love how red the ruby is even though small.

The curly bit of gold at the bottom so you can hang other charms from it!

How meticulous and sturdy the construction is.

The pearl whose natural shape fits so well as a flower bud.

And I love that I bought it from a lovely and knowledgeable wholesaler, who had no website or instagram, so if I haven’t gone to the show I would never have seen or bought this pin! At least not at the wholesale price!

Some teaser pics since there’s no more sunlight. Better photos tomorrow IMG_3701.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m a little obsessed with krementz these days and I saw your pin in your pearl thread and immediately recognize his style! I love it so much. I have added one of these pin/brooches to my list!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I love it!!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
gorgeous!!! Were the prices better compared to regular retail or online vendors? TIA

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gorgeous!!! Were the prices better compared to regular retail or online vendors? TIA

I think so. I bought it from a wholesaler, she doesn’t have a storefront or site so only sells to other dealers mostly except for these shows. Maybe it’s cause I went during the day on Friday (first open day) but I think half the buyers were dealers.

The seller actually assumed I was a dealer, I said I wasn’t but she gave me the wholesale price anyways.

I looked at hundred of brooches today and this one was really special in terms of the details and texture and workmanship I thought. I think that’s one of the best parts of these shows is being able to compare so many pieces in person!

I’ll be posting lots of pics of details tomorrow morning when the sun is back!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a little obsessed with krementz these days and I saw your pin in your pearl thread and immediately recognize his style! I love it so much. I have added one of these pin/brooches to my list!

I’ve never heard of him but googled a bit before buying. Lang had a lot of similar 14k brooches but for 3x the price.

I had found almost the exact same one on eBay but for more than double the price https://www.ebay.com/itm/3860267186...b19c81250437cd47a2f30330f0ed03551c4efdaf3409e

Similar (and on my watch list lol)

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve seen a bunch on eBay. Prices all over the place!!

Yours is gorgeous and of course the pearl makes it even more special.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen a bunch on eBay. Prices all over the place!!

Yours is gorgeous and of course the pearl makes it even more special.

If you ever get a chance to go to a show like this I highly recommend it! It was so much fun to see things in person from so many vendors. Highly recommend! I can’t wait for the next one!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you ever get a chance to go to a show like this I highly recommend it! It was so much fun to see things in person from so many vendors. Highly recommend! I can’t wait for the next one!

Oh how I would love that! I live in a moderately sized town and would need to travel by boat to get to the big city :lol-2: But it might be worth a trip some day! I love love shows like that.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I went to the NYC spring antique vintage jewelry show, lots of amazing vendors including some well known ones like Jewels by Grace, Jogani, Courtville etc. I was on a mission to enjoy every piece of eye candy and come away with one treasure that I thought was unique, spoke to me, and was in budget haha. After spending 4 hours looking at every vendor, I eventually decided on this piece, in part because of the pearl since I’m a huge pearl fan.

It’s a Krementz piece from the 1890s, 14k gold with enamel, a single cut diamond, a small but very red ruby, and of course a natural pearl.

So many things I love:

The bail swivels and can hinge down to hide when you wear it as a pin!

The pearl is drilled through and held in place by a small pin which you can see from the back.

The leaves! Oh my goodness these leaves. The detail of the veins, the beautiful ombre enamel coloring, the sharpness of the outside edges like on real leaves. The graceful organic curves. Swooon.

The richness of the gold.

I love how red the ruby is even though small.

The curly bit of gold at the bottom so you can hang other charms from it!

How meticulous and sturdy the construction is.

The pearl whose natural shape fits so well as a flower bud.

And I love that I bought it from a lovely and knowledgeable wholesaler, who had no website or instagram, so if I haven’t gone to the show I would never have seen or bought this pin! At least not at the wholesale price!

Some teaser pics since there’s no more sunlight. Better photos tomorrow IMG_3701.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg

i am overjoyed such a beautiful pin has been given a new life with you

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha as you can see I am now also obsessed! Now I want one that’s bigger!

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
I am pretty sure I saw that brooch when I went to the show yesterday and thought "Wow that's beautiful". And I'm almost sure I saw you there too, probably talking to Grace lol. Congratulations on finding a gorgeous piece! Honestly I had to try really hard yesterday to walk away with only -one- thing.

I acquired a Krementz Forget-Me-Not flower shaped brooch a few months ago and am waiting to receive a 2nd crescent that I found at a different store (modifying the brooch so that it can convert to a pendant); I'm becoming a bit obsessed with them too! I find their metal work to be really detailed and beautiful.

Pendant or pin?
Which charm looks better?
IMG_3769.jpeg IMG_3787.jpeg IMG_3780.jpeg IMG_3775.jpeg

Both look great but I like the length of the blue

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure I saw that brooch when I went to the show yesterday and thought "Wow that's beautiful". And I'm almost sure I saw you there too, probably talking to Grace lol. Congratulations on finding a gorgeous piece! Honestly I had to try really hard yesterday to walk away with only -one- thing.

I acquired a Krementz Forget-Me-Not flower shaped brooch a few months ago and am waiting to receive a 2nd crescent that I found at a different store (modifying the brooch so that it can convert to a pendant); I'm becoming a bit obsessed with them too! I find their metal work to be really detailed and beautiful.

Both look great but I like the length of the blue

Oh! Haha. I was wearing a lot of pearls and black boots with rainbow laces and rainbow glasses. I wish I knew you were there, it would have been fun to window shop with another jewelery nerd.

What did you get?!?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic pin! I love how you style it. That star sapphire is AMAZING!!

I was there too, with another PS friend. I knew a lot of PSers must be there, but I didn't know which they were. I did overhear someone introduce David Atlas to someone, but I didn't want to intrude. I didn't buy anything.

However, a few weeks ago I did buy a similar enameled pin from that period by one of the Newark manufacturers on ebay. Mine is not as nice as yours, I'm not 100% sure the pearls on it are original, and it isn't a watch pin (= doesn't have a hook for a pendant) or a loop to make it convertible into a pendant.

Lots of Newark manufacturers made these lovely enameled pins, and they often didn't mark them. I can't find a mark on mine. Is yours marked?

IMG_8005.jpeg

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Oh! Haha. I was wearing a lot of pearls and black boots with rainbow laces and rainbow glasses. I wish I knew you were there, it would have been fun to window shop with another jewelery nerd.

What did you get?!?

PXL_20240420_155526454.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

I bought a ~2mm carre cut ruby yellow gold band; have been looking forever for a reasonably priced one. Almost bought a pair of tear drop shaped opal dangle earrings too, and was tempted by so many other gorgeous pieces. I had lots of fun lol.

I was not sure if I would go on Friday or maybe Sunday, but I wrapped up work ASAP and made it after all. I was wearing a pink top and jeans, rocking all yellow gold - gold watch chain, Jedi spinel dangle earrings, red spinel OEC band and chunky OEC band. Definitely should coordinate for the October antique show!! I'm sure my husband is sick of me reporting back to him about all the stuff he doesn't want me to purchase hah.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I love it so much!! It's gorgeous and that you can add charms as well......makes it really special! Just think of all the different pearls charms you could add.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pendant with blue charm!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was there too, with another PS friend. I knew a lot of PSers must be there, but I didn't know which they were. I did overhear someone introduce David Atlas to someone, but I didn't want to intrude. I didn't buy anything.

However, a few weeks ago I did buy a similar enameled pin from that period by one of the Newark manufacturers on ebay. Mine is not as nice as yours, I'm not 100% sure the pearls on it are original, and it isn't a watch pin (= doesn't have a hook for a pendant) or a loop to make it convertible into a pendant.

Lots of Newark manufacturers made these lovely enameled pins, and they often didn't mark them. I can't find a mark on mine. Is yours marked?

IMG_8005.jpeg

Yup mine has a 14k mark and the Krementz makers mark

I’m so amazed how well the enamel has lasted for something 125 years old
IMG_3801.jpeg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I love it so much!! It's gorgeous and that you can add charms as well......makes it really special! Just think of all the different pearls charms you could add.

Haha I know. I’m gonna have to make some!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yup mine has a 14k mark and the Krementz makers mark

I’m so amazed how well the enamel has lasted for something 125 years old
IMG_3801.jpeg

Beautiful!

I think the clasp on mine was replaced (it appears to be silver rather than gold), which was probably where it was marked (if it was marked).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bought a ~2mm carre cut ruby yellow gold band; have been looking forever for a reasonably priced one. Almost bought a pair of tear drop shaped opal dangle earrings too, and was tempted by so many other gorgeous pieces. I had lots of fun lol.

I was not sure if I would go on Friday or maybe Sunday, but I wrapped up work ASAP and made it after all. I was wearing a pink top and jeans, rocking all yellow gold - gold watch chain, Jedi spinel dangle earrings, red spinel OEC band and chunky OEC band. Definitely should coordinate for the October antique show!! I'm sure my husband is sick of me reporting back to him about all the stuff he doesn't want me to purchase hah.

Yes ! October nyc show gtg!!!
And yeah I saw some very nice bands there. Though almost no engraved vintage bands which I was keeping an eye out for.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I’m a broken record but I just cannot get over the details and textures. Blows my mind.
If anyone has leads on a larger piece like this please let me know. Would love something in the 3” range if I can afford it lol.

IMG_3820.jpeg

I also find it funny that I seem to have entered the “old lady” era of my jewelry phase. I’m all about pearls, brooches, and engraved pieces right now.

IMG_3810.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_8005.jpeg

oh that is lovely :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you happen to have a link for the October show?

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Do you happen to have a link for the October show?

It's the NYC Jewelry & Watch show, Oct 24-27 at the same venue.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I’m a broken record but I just cannot get over the details and textures. Blows my mind.
If anyone has leads on a larger piece like this please let me know. Would love something in the 3” range if I can afford it lol.

IMG_3820.jpeg

I also find it funny that I seem to have entered the “old lady” era of my jewelry phase. I’m all about pearls, brooches, and engraved pieces right now.

IMG_3810.jpeg

Hey, I resemble that!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, I resemble that!

Oh I’m not it’s bad or actually indicative of old age. In fact it’s fabulous and I’m loving it. Just musing about the “stereotype” I seem to have landed in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results