shape
carat
color
clarity

18.5mm white SS with silver overtone or 19.4mm white SS or 18.4m white SS?

Which one of these FABULOUS SS pearls shall I get?

• The 19.5mm white SS with so-so lustre, Don''t you know that SIZE is everything?!!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I went to have a look at some SS pearls today, with the intention of buying a strand of SS pearls. Well, I left empty-handed (practically, I did buy a strand of Akoyas and a beautiful peacock Tahitian - both as presents to other people, he he). The reason was because the SS strands were very expensive, at least the ones that I wanted!
15.gif

But there were some gorgeous and LARGE white single SS's that really caught my eyes. There was one at this one shop, that was a completely blemish free (at least with the naked/ unaided eye) white SS with really majestically silver overtone. It was 18.5mm. Guess what the price was? About USD6k!
6.gif

I then went to another shop and they had two (amongst several) that I quite liked also. One was a MASSIVE 19.4mm but the lustre was not top-notch (I'd say AA). Another was 18.4mm but had beautiful lustre (I'd say AAA). I'd say that both have a more creamy/ white/ very slightly rosy overtones. I've asked the shop owner to take pics and am awaiting the emails. They were asking for the large pearl also USD6k and USD4.5k for the smaller.
6.gif

As this is a substantial purchase, I really need your help, you guys. I'd like to ask which one you'd go for? Pls help me to decide. I'd love to get them all but of course money doesn't grow on trees, LOL!
2.gif
1.gif
Anyone of those would make an AWESOME pendant, but I'd like to get "The Best One". I was thinking I could put my late mom's 5 loose 0.20's diamonds with the pearl to make a KILLER pendant!
36.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ARRRGGGG!! I had a third choice, the 18.4mm white SS pearl with beautiful lustre but for some reason that didn't come through!!
29.gif

It seems I've had a lot of problems with compiling a poll lately!!
29.gif
I don't know why!! I've messaged Admin and shall see that they say.

(I see I've also made some typos w.r.t the measurements in my poll which I can't edit. Pls just ignore them).

[PS Admin - The third item has been added ]

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this pic of a SS on American Pearl website. The silver overtone is very similar to that on the pearl I saw today (perhaps even a touch more silvery), except that the pearl I'm considering is perfectly round.

SS with silver overtone.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are all 3 of the pearls perfectly round and blemish free? Sight unseen, I voted for the 4.5k pearl with beautiful lustre. According to your description of the 3 pearls, I can''t imagine you wouldn''t be just as happy with that pearl as the others for 1.5k less. That way you can apply the $ to a gorgeous custom setting for it!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Personally if I''m going to spend that much on pearls then I would rather spend more and get exactly what I want and am in love with so I voted for the 18.4 mm with silver tones. I would hate for you to buy another pearl and just constantly think "what if." That has happened to me twice and i still kick myself for it. Trust me spend the extra money and get what you want- if that is what you really want.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, cushioncutnut and Sarahbear, for your suggestions and also to everyone for voting. I still haven't decided yet.

I got some pics from the vendor of the white SS's with the white/ creamy overtones and attach them herewith, so you can see better.

First of, the 2 side by side...I have to say though the lustre of the two looks the same in the pic, but IRL the smaller one definitely has better lustre. Also, their lustre is much more creamy/white than is shown here.

white SS.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one, side by side:

white SS_1.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smaller peal:

SS_smaller.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Larger pearl:

SS_larger.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2 pearls with my LM pear ring for context (also because I wanted to see my ring, ha ha!
2.gif
1.gif
):

white SS_a.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to ask the vendor of the pearl with the silver overtones to take pics for me. Then I''ll post the pics for you guys to see and help me decide. Thanks.

WOW!!!!!! Those are huge!!

I am not sure about the lighting.. but I like the lighter colored one with your skin tone (neither is bad, obviously, but if I had to pick JUST ONE)...

Woooowww!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 6:05:16 AM
Author: Phoenix
The 2 pearls with my LM pear ring for context (also because I wanted to see my ring, ha ha!
2.gif
1.gif
):

How on earth will you choose?especially if the one from the other vendor is even more gorgeous?? ...and your ring, SWOOON! I just love your ring!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
If you can go for the bigger, most beautiful pearl, then why not??? I guess I should retract my vote as why would I sell yourself short?? LOL!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 11:19:40 AM
Author: swedish bean
WOW!!!!!! Those are huge!!

I am not sure about the lighting.. but I like the lighter colored one with your skin tone (neither is bad, obviously, but if I had to pick JUST ONE)...

Woooowww!!
Yeah, they are, aren''t they?!
3.gif
1.gif

I''m not sure which one you mean is lighter coloured? Do you mean the larger one? And do mean the one that looks in the pic to be more white and less ivory?

You''re right, the lighting IS weird. They''re actually both the same colour IRL, the difference is very minimal - both creamy white.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 4:44:38 PM
Author: cushioncutnut

2.gif
1.gif
):

How on earth will you choose?especially if the one from the other vendor is even more gorgeous?? ...and your ring, SWOOON! I just love your ring!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
If you can go for the bigger, most beautiful pearl, then why not??? I guess I should retract my vote as why would I sell yourself short?? LOL!!
Thank you, sweetie!
1.gif

I''m a little distracted at the moment, with the thought that perhaps my 3 ct diamond might have been switched (thread on RT).

I''ll go look at the pearls some more and if possible, I''ll post pics of the other pearl and let you guys know which way I''m leaning.

Thanks, all, for yr help.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2010 11:39:31 PM

Date: 5/13/2010 4:44:38 PM
Author: cushioncutnut

2.gif
1.gif
):

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Thank you, sweetie!
1.gif

I''m a little distracted at the moment, with the thought that perhaps my 3 ct diamond might have been switched (thread on RT).

I''ll go look at the pearls some more and if possible, I''ll post pics of the other pearl and let you guys know which way I''m leaning.

Thanks, all, for yr help.
23.gif

That is horrible... I will have to look at that thread if I can find it!
6.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results