shape
carat
color
clarity

14ky or 18ky

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I have been trying to find pictures of 14k and 18k yellow gold bands. I am trying to see how much of a difference in color they are. If anyone can please help me, that would be so great. I only wear white metals, but I found a very pretty ring that's made in 18kyg. Normally I woundn't even consider but the details on it are almost too good to pass up. Thanks.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did my best - it's getting dark and I've lost my grey card

GOLD2.png GOLD1.png

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thanks Yssie. 18kyg does look to be more rich. The piece I'm looking at the gold looks like this.

It looks like antique gold, if theres such a thing.

james.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 18k is definitely richer IRL than the 14k. They're both highly polished, which kinda washes them out - a brushed (antiqued?) finish would highlight the rich colour a lot more.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
18 kt weighs more which is nice.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually just knowing purity is relatively useless in terms of gold color, need to know the alloying metal too.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reponses. I guess I can show the piece as I think I'm going to get it. It's just so pretty that I think I can like the yellow gold.

1400.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun ring !!!!!!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun ring. JM?

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, and yes it is by JM. In fact I ordered it and should have it by Monday. Hubby said the color almost looks like brass.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had several 18k yellow gold over the years, and they seem to be the most consistent in color. However, my 14k yellow gold are all over the map, I"ve had some that were just a shade lighter than my 18 yellow gold, then, there are some in between, then I have some with a rosey hue (although not as coppery pink as my Rose GOld 14k) so it really depends

See this link from Hoover & Strong with the different alloys used to produce varying gold color

http://www.hooverandstrong.com/product/ALL+YCB+++W07+y/

castingalloyhooverandstrong.JPG

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
D&T thanks for the post. I love the rose gold. Someday I want to get a piece in rose gold. It's so pretty.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Gothgrrl|1308720356|2951736 said:
Oh thanks Yssie. 18kyg does look to be more rich. The piece I'm looking at the gold looks like this.

It looks like antique gold, if theres such a thing.

I think JM uses some oxidization technique to make the gold look antique-ish. I love that unique look. My DH has an 18K YG ring from JM. The color looks pretty rich in person. It is the attractive kind of rich, not sickening rich, as the oxidization and JM's other nice touches balance it out.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Cookie, is that what it is? Oxidization. It doesn't look as yellow. I love the effect. I cant wait to get it. I have been looking for a rose cut diamond for a while now.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! It's so pretty and unique! I love it! :love:

okay so I'm sure that it will seem obvious after I get an answer but being a newbie still and all......JM? who? :oops: :roll:

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
James Meyer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results