shape
carat
color
clarity

14k YG vs 18k YG?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
How much of a difference in appearance is there between 14k YG and 18k YG? Is it worth it to dump an extra $50 into a solitaire engagement ring for the 18k?

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
Hi, its personal preference, 18k has a little richer yellow look, but a bit softer. Higher implied value, 14k is more of the common yellow, a little stronger/harder, and less expensive.

Bacily it boils down to color, and what you like best

RoyalAsscher

Rough_Rock
david is totaly right!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David,

Maybe this thread is the right place for a quick question...

Is there any way to get the very yellow look of Asian jewelry in 18k or 14k? I like the look of almost pure gold, but the softness of the thing limits what one would want to do with it - or at least this is what I am told quite often. Is it really worth using lower gold alloys for durability alone?

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunatly not, the rich yellow deep color that is from 20k to 24k is unmatched by anything. The durrability is an issue...but most commonly the reason why it is not done here is the price, The high karats are more dense, and more expensive, kind of like platinum, more metal, more $ for a finished piece. The answer is usualy to go a bit thicker, a basic tiffany mount in 22k would bend like a paperclip...worse than a paper clip. Thicker rings do just fine.

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
here is an example of some fine gold I recoverd via refining/recycleing from scraps, Pure has such an amazing color.

FINEGOLD2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results