shape
carat
color
clarity

14k White Gold v 18k White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Ok, help me out again here pricescope. I always thought 18k white gold was the route to go, but was told by Jim at James Allen today that they like to use 14k. He said he finds it harder (easier to work with) and whiter than 18k white gold. Is this true?

I''ve tried researching on PS, but have not found a consensus (maybe there isn''t one). What are the opinions on this. Is 14k good, is this true? Platinum isn''t an option as my girlfried doesn''t like the patina over time and wants white gold. Please voice your opinions.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with 18k white gold. Either will be rhodium plated regardless, and the 18k has more gold in it than 14. All the better quality designer jewelry I have seen in white gold is always 18k.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi antiqueasscher, I would agree with DS - I prefer 18K. For me it''s because it''s more gold (75% as opposed to 58%) and 18K sends a signal of "quality".

However, remember that gold is a yellow metal, so the less gold, the more white alloy that can be used. I would agree that 14K WG will probably appear whiter longer than 18K. My 18K "Promise Ring" needs re-rhodium plating after about 6 months. The ring has started to discolor on the palm side of the shank.

Personally, I prefer the platinum patina to the battle with discoloration. That''s a personal preference though.
1.gif

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
I don''t mean this in a bad way at all, but it almost seems like the 2 responses and others that I read advocating 18k were simply because they had more gold in them. Is it simply the allure of having, knowing or being able to say there''s more gold in the ring or is there a better reason than that? I personally don''t care what percentage of gold there is, but rather which is better for a piece of jewelery: durability, whiteness, strength, etc.

I''d love to hear others opinions.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
18K yellow gold has a finer look. I only own yg, no white. But I have 14, 18, 24, and they all look different. OF course the colors are all different, but the texture and finish are different.

But I think the experts seem to prefer 14K white? I am a gold snob, so that''s why I don''t own white gold. Lots of my male friends have heavy necklaces/bracelets in high carat yellow gold, so I''ve got a bit of a complex.
15.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went with 14k because it''s harder and stays whiter longer. And I prefer the look of white gold to platinum after it''s worn for a while. Plus, while I can see a visible difference between 14k and 18k yellow and rose gold, there''s probably not much difference in appearance between 14k or 18k white gold since both are rhodium plated. I personally don''t really care about whether it''s more gold or not...I guess I''m a diamond snob, not a metal snob!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results