shape
carat
color
clarity

14k vs 18k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

synth19

Rough_Rock
If you had to pick 14k vs. 18k for an engagement ring, which one would you choose and why?

edit: never mind found some good threads on this.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Probably 18k just because it a higher quality, but it is up to you.
1.gif

synth19

Rough_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/14k-18k-white-gold-facts-please-t1310.html

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
18kt gold is a little softer than 14kt, just like 14 kt is softer than 10kt and will bend/scratch a little easier because it's purer gold.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for white gold or yellow gold? There are some newer threads than the one you posted that I think talked about 18K being harder than 14K due to alloying? David and Griffin used to post more frequently mentioned that, but I can't remember.

I've also read that 19K white gold does not need to be rhodium plated and keeps its white look so that would one of my choices if I wanted white gold. Unfortunately I haven't had a gold piece made recently so I' m not totally up to speed.

KSparkles

Rough_Rock
My fiance got 14K because it's harder than 18K...however the issue of 19K never needing to be replated is pretty good testimony for that particular metal. What are you planning on buying?

KSparkles

Rough_Rock
Oops sorry - just realized you found the other threads!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results