shape
carat
color
clarity

How can i tell if a diamond is real or not?

sonja

Rough_Rock
is any method that i could testify easily? would like to have a diamond ring in the short future

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
How about learning something on the 4C principles before choosing the diamond? Here is a simple introduction:
Color grading
It is the relatively difficult part but east to applying part among the four C principles. The evaluation of quality on diamond is aimed at clear to pale yellow (brown, grey) series. The completely clear and transparent diamond is very rare and expensive as well, for most diamond is with slight yellow. The grading of diamond is to compare the “about to grade” diamond with clear and transparent diamond, and the difference between the grades of colors is so little that the average consumer is hard to distinguish. However, it is the slight difference that affects the price of diamond seriously.
Purity grading
It is used to describe the rendered degree of flaws of the internal and external part of diamond. It is very difficult for natural diamond to be pure enough to not have any flaws, for most diamond are with flaws naturally or gained its weakness in the producing process. The purity of diamond is determined by the size, number, location and category of flaws.
Cutting grading
It is based on some cutting standard on both of the grinding ratio and the modification degree of finished diamond, which is the only unnatural property evaluation among the “four C” principles.
Quality grading
It is the most objective evaluation of the four C principles; bare diamond can be evaluated with standard measurement scales directly. Though the diamond inlaid within a pendant can not be weighed directly, but various measuring tools can be used to get exact data and then the quality can be evaluated with calculated formula.
It is very important to get to know about four C principles when buying diamond.

(Those words might not that native, for I am not English learner, hope that would not bother you)

dianawatson

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hands down the #1 question I’m asked online is "How can I tell if my diamond is the real thing?" People want to know if there is some simple test they can do at home or little tricks of the trade to tell if the ring they own is a valuable heirloom or of the Cracker Jack variety.

Without question the quickest and most reliable method for authenticity would be an independent appraisal. This can be accomplished easily enough by looking under "Appraisal (Jewelry)" in your yellow pages. When you call to inquire about their services you want to ask three questions:

1.) Can you schedule an appointment or is it first come first served.

2.) Ask the fee; $35.00-$75.00 is considered a fair price.

3.) Ask if the jewelry will always be in your presence. If the appraiser says they will not evaluate the jewelry in front of you, find another appraiser.

If spending 50 bucks seems a little too steep to uncover the identity of your rock, you can head to your local jewelry store and ask their in-house gemologist to take a peek and give you their opinion. Since opinions are like belly buttons (everyone’s got one) understand that in a lot of these quick 30-second evaluations mistakes can be made. Especially since most jewelers won’t charge you for 30 seconds of their time. (Just like with independent appraisals, don’t let the merchandise out of your site.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results