shape
carat
color
clarity

14 k v 18k yg?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

I have found a piece on etsy.com in yg I love (thanks to elmerton) but it is in 14k yg. Is there a practical wearabiliy or colour difference between 14k and 18k yg? I love buttery yg. I guess why wouldnt I get this 14 k piece iykwim.

thanks
d2b

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
You'd have to feel sorry for us Aussies then. The overwhelming standard for gold jewellery over here is a lousy 9k!!!
32.gif
38.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/17/2009 1:20:21 AM
Author:D2B

I have found a piece on etsy.com in yg I love (thanks to elmerton) but it is in 14k yg. Is there a practical wearabiliy or colour difference between 14k and 18k yg? I love buttery yg. I guess why wouldnt I get this 14 k piece iykwim.

Hi, d2b- What does iykwim stand for? I probably shouldn't answer the question without knowing, but I will :). 14K gold has less gold and more other metals in it. It is stronger than 18K gold and and a little lighter in color. The color difference is not very noticeable. 18K gold, therefore, has a bit more gold in the alloy than 14K gold does and is a deeper yellow color (closer to the color of pure-24K gold, in other words).

In my opinion there is no reason not to buy a piece in 14K if you like it. I just bought myself a pair of 14K gold earrings for my birthday. I will try to post a picture of them in this thread or the gold thread later today. The price of 14K gold is usually lower than the price of 18K gold, which is another reason that one should not refuse to consider it!

That 14K and 18K gold are useful and beautiful does not mean that sometimes some of us do not want a piece in the deep yellow of 22K or 24K gold. Those "high karat" golds are quite expensive and soft and their bright yellow is jarring to the eye of most westerners.

Deborah
34.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your replies.

Lara online I am heading to australia soon, so will have to check out the metals and jewellery collection
26.gif

Thanks AGBF, iykwim stands for "if you know what I mean" , and used a lot in some non american boards I frequent. I have decided to go ahead with the etsy purchase, and I cant wait.

The piece I am after is this one....
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_2&listing_id=21065755&ga_search_query=hammered+gold+disc+pendant&ga_search_type=tag_title

will probably get the matching earrings while they are available.
D2B

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 9:50:00 AM
Author: D2B

The piece I am after is this one....

(snip of link that led to my destruction)

d2b- have you heard us speak of enabling? You have engaged in it, my friend! You have introduced me to a site where I can have a garnet ring made up in 14K gold in my daughter's very hard to find size (3.5 on her left hand ring finger and a 4 on her big right hand fingers)! For $64.00! And there are many more pages at which to look! I do not need this kind of temptation! My husband keeps reminding both my daughter and me that we are in a recession and that we have lost huge amounts from our retirement accounts! (And I keep her college account and can see how much money that has lost!)

My daughter is 16. Don't you want her to be able to go to college!!!? ;-)

Deb
34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i find that in earrings i don''t mind 14k gold but it bothers me in rings. the piece your after doesn''t bother me that its 14k because ITS HAMMERED GOLD. and i absolutely do think that the finish makes a difference: 14k gold usually just has too much shine for my taste. i say go for it if yo haven''t already.

mz

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have yellow gold, I have white. But, my hubby told me that he will NEVER buy me a ring in anything higher than 14k because it gets softer the purer you go, and he doesn''t think it''s "durable enough". I can see his point, but I do like the look of the higher purity gold, especially in yellow gold!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results