shape
carat
color
clarity

13.62 carats natural ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
I have 13.62 carats natural ruby .Can any one let me know the price to sell this stone . Coz its hard to get the prices of the same. Its certified.

ruby.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$10
rolleyes.gif

I thought I saw this lucky number around here recently... yours is the second ~13 cts ruby getting on PS this month. Here's the other (LINK)...

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It's tough to tell from the photo, cool guy.

From what I can see, it looks like a promotional quality stone (heavily included, fair color, poor cut). These quality rubies don't usually bring big money.

You might consider shipping it to Richard Hughes of Pala International to take a look. He's a top ruby expert.

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Thanx !!! for your information . Yes the color seems to be different ... But still any gemmologist or appraisor can let me know soemthing about it ..
rolleyes.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Coolguy,

Who certified the stone? Was it the seller? What does the certification say?

Richard M.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Well if there is a lab report with this stone the problem is that if the laboratory is a good one then the report is much more expensive than this stone.
This stone looks to be a low quality grade heat treated opaque ruby from India or Africa, with a lot of polysynthetic twinning and bohemite. The stone is probably limit opaque to translucent.
I would say that a stone like that for more than $10 is expensive... But some people can give more depending the market you are trying to sell it. If you get more than $20 for it without the deceive your customer then you will be lucky.

Anyway this stone is the kind of stone used by crooks in Thailand or other tourist rich countries to make money on greedy and/or ignorant tourists. The reports provided are usually from unknown labs or sometimes from labs that just dont exist!
Typical.

But you are right its difficult to get the price of this kind of stone as many companies are not selling anymore this quality in western markets. Even thaigem have stop selling this stones as "wonderful awesome pigeon red ruby 10 carats 10 dollars"...
They were famous for that. This stones are just sold locally and in markets like India for very very cheap prices.

Anyway if you are trying to buy the stone: My advise is simple: If you like it, and if the price suits you: Buy it...
If there is something wrong with it or its price, just let this stone go, dont loose your time (like I'm doing now on this kind of stone )and search for better or cheapper!

Now if you are trying to sell the stone. Well I dont think that you will find somebody to buy this stone here or even to tell you any other price that the $10 Ana has given you. This is the wrong market... Here people like brilliancy and diamond clarity stones!

Good luck "Cool Guy"...

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
It is certified by IGI.

The certificate says:

mounted or unmounted : unmounted
color : red
type of cut : round mixed cut
refrative index : 1.76 - 1.77
dichroism : distinct
isotropic/anisotropic : anisotropic
microscopic examination : lamellar twinning is observed

remarks
from the above tests the stone/mineral is identified as
***** NATURAL RUBY *****

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IGI...

of course they are right: the report identifies the mineral as ruby. So are the red spots on my mousepad (a slab of ziosite with ruby inclusions). Chemistry does not make gems precious, but this piece has the right chemistry to be called "ruby". That's that. I hope this piece of mineral has not been involved in some shoddy transaction (as Mogok mercilessly points out) as yet.

Large pieces of this quality would make great carving material (think ounces not carats) and get valuable for their scarcity - quite a shame to break such a thing in worthless gem size pieces...

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Speaking of big rubies, this 10,000+ carat crystal from Mogok, Burma was acqired by Pala International. It's called "Big Mama."

Richard M.

big_mama2.jpg

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
To add something to Richard photo, this is the hole "Big Mama" is coming from: A primany hard rock mine in near Bawpadan village in the Mogok valley.
I've taken this photo 2 months ago visiting Mogok during the mining season. Now the mining there has stopped as the rainy season has begun in Mogok. You can see miner breaking the calcite near the entrance of the mine (wich) is in fact a crevace with some wood sticks as ladders to go down.... I was told there that "Big Mama" was found around 1000 feet deep inside the mountain.

All the best,

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hum...
Here is the photo of the mine....
Sorry!

big-mama-mine.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mogok,

Thanks very much for posting the information/image about the Bawpadan-area mine. That 'completes the circle,' so to speak. When I see world-class specimens like Big Mama I always wonder where they came from and how they were mined.

Richard M.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello Richard,
Here are 2 other pictures of Bawpadan as is probably looks like today. The first one was taken nearly exactly 2 years ago when I was already there early in the morning. You can discover the main Bawpadan street with over it the Kolan mine (famous for rubies). A horse is carrying down some staff from a mine... Bawpadan is one of the older villages in the Mogok area: Probably around 1000 years old.
I have taken the second photo when I went down following this young Shan miner in a pit which is less than 100 meters from the hole "Big Mama" was born. As you see this mine use a natural crevace and some wood sticks were posed as a ladder to go down. They dont make any hole, but just use dry wood than will expend with the humidity of the mine. This is enough to make this simple ladder strong enough for men to use it. Going down the mine is as you see quite an adventure by itself: No security rope, a candle to have some light and several hundred feets of darkness under us. The wood sticks are humid and slippery: Scary! Down in the mine, there were 2 light bulbs and 4 miners working taking out the calcite after the black powder blast: In Bawpadan and generally in Mogok Hard rock mines, they dont use dynamite but locally made black powder in order not to break the rubies.
"Big mama" sadly presents a large broken area not because of a blast but because the chief miners has broken the stone in order to take out an area that could have been gem quality.

For information, I've taken these 2 photos 2 years ago and at this time "Big Mama" was still in the mine.

All the best.

bawpadan pic.jpg

gehandxb

Rough_Rock
Hi Cool Guy,

I need a natural ruby of this weight what is your price ?

Best regards,

Mr. G

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results