shape
carat
color
clarity

128-facets: New Technology?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

W150T401

Rough_Rock
The chain People's Jeweller's have an "exclusive" 128- facet diamond. It is more expensive, with other factors being equal because the new cut allows for greater brilliance. I've seen them and they DO appear more brilliant, even larger for the same carat!

What are your thoughts, is it worth the extra money? (I think they are maybe 10% more expensive)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
If it's a round stone, light return depends on the same angles and proportions. If they are correct the diamond will look nice.

More facets can increase scintillation for the bigger stones.

You noticed the diamond was more brilliant. Was it in the jewelry shop only or in other lightning environment as well?

It would be interesting to see the proportions and angles for this stone and the facet plot. I can try to model it in Diamond calculator and check its light return and the contrast.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The diamonds with more than 58 facets have been tried many times before. There was one with 144 or 142 facets (I can't remember I'm old). They can look very nice but I believe if you compare them to well cut traditional diamonds you will not see much of a difference. In most cases the well cut traditional will look better! I tend to call these fad cuts. I have never seen one last and catch on. Who knows, maybe this one will but I have my doubts about it.

See if you can compare it to an Ideal cut in a more lighting friendly environment and see what you think. Please let us know.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend has bought me a 0.82CT 128 facets diamond from peoples.. and it does look more sparkle than other diamond rings regardless of different lighting... so I think it does worth the extra money to get a peoples' diamond...

^_^

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
If that's the Huismann's 144 cut, the patent expired a long time ago. If I recall correctly, they sued GIA because it did not agree with their claims of higher brilliance.

People need to remember that sparkle/scintilliation and brilliance (light return) are not the same thing. More facets will give an appearance of more sparkle because the reflections are broken up into more pieces. That doesn't mean you're getting more light return.

What science has been applied to this question pretty much indicates that the 57/58-facet design will give the best light return, although the jury is still out.

captainahab

Rough_Rock
Perhaps you mean the Star 129 diamond? It has 129 facets. I started a thread aweek or so ago about it, check it out:
Star 129 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results