shape
carat
color
clarity

12 grams of platinum - how does it weight in?

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Still on the trail to finalize my Emerald Cut Three Stone ring. This has taken much longer than anticipated. The latest design is attached. I am changing the band back to a squarer top closer to previous versions but overall I'm pleased with the heavier, less flat appearance. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...d-final-touches.165178/#post-3014625#p3014625

I'd love an honest opinion about whether the ring will be 'overweight''? Does anyone have experience with a setting this heavy?

Platinum: 12 g
18kw nickel free: 9 g

My ring size is 5

Thanks as always!

5840 - 3st emerald7.jpg

5840 - 3st emerald8.jpg

5840 - 6.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi quaddio! i had a setting that weighed 12g (12.8g to be exact, i think) and i did find that it was too heavy. i don't mind taking my rings (ering and wedder) off at night, but i am one who likes to wear my rings all the time otherwise, and i was *always* conscious of it. it hurt if i clapped, and it was very uncomfortable when it got wet. i always felt it between my fingers, and by the end of the day (earlier, really, like dinnertime) i was more than ready to take it off and put it away which made me sad. i like admiring my rings while watching tv at night! i also found myself taking it off more during the day for comfort, or wanting to leave it at home during certain 'events' so it wouldn't bother me. i traded in the diamond and am trying to sell it now, and one of the reasons was its weight. i like heft - my preference is for platinum over gold for that reason - but there is heft and there is.... weight. for a RHR it would have been great, or if i didn't wear it every day, but for an every day, important ring such as my ering, i found it to be too much. it sure felt mentally luxurious though!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
12g of platinum-you will definitely feel the weight. Can you try on rings of similar weight at a local jeweler? You may have to slip on a plat men's wedding band to get an idea or a wider ladies plat band.

Like rainy, I like heft, but 12g on a daily basis may be too much. My heaviest ring weighs 7g (size 4.5), and I could stand a little more, but not too much for daily wear. I'd definitely go out and try to feel that weight at a local shop.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
my ring is 5.4 grams platinum, size 5. I have not worn other rings but it feels like a good weight to me :)

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your wonderful feedback!

I based the design on mall store sample attached. It weighs 7.5 grams in 14k yellow gold and is a size 7.5. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the inside (palm side) of the ring. My diamonds are larger than the sample and I kept the width in line with stone length (~4mm). This adds to the weight but I am reluctant to stray too far from the sample design.

At the jeweler I tried on a man's band that was 4mm comfort fit. It was too big for any finger to be a realistic sample. I have very little jewelry wearing experience.

To me the main advantages of platinum are hypoallergenic and low maintenance rather than prestige. I find yellow gold very beautiful and feel white gold is a compromise. My boyfriend prefers the contemporary look of white metal too. I'm buying the ring for myself as a RHR to wear it in high rotation. I have no other rings/jewelry.

Is white gold a better option to save a few grams?
Does the comfort fit lessen the weight issue at all?

2011-07-23_18-18-09_286 FLIP.jpg

2011-07-23_18-18-24_422 - Copy.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would think that comfort fit would add more metal? can you slim down the entire design a bit?

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In my previous post I received a comment that the sample had a rounded fullness that is unusual. I don't want to lose those qualities but need the ring to be wearable Hopefully the next changes will be a little slimmer and with some squareness.

When slimming down the ring is there a weight I should be aiming for? 10 g? 8 g? 5 g?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could easily keep the fullness in the shoulders but cut some weight from lower in the shank, like the bottom and the very sides that will be up against neighboring fingers. Personally, I wouldn't want so much bulk between my fingers. It looks uncomfortable.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would be fairly heavy. My setting that was stolen was I think 10g and it was HEAVY AS HELL. I mean, I got used to it, didn't bother me but still.

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Would you consider palladium in place of platinum? Looks almost identical, is similarly workable, slightly more durable, has the same hypoallergenic quality, but is 40% less dense and substantially less money.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I purchased an A Jaffe wedding band in patinum for my husband. It is 16.5 grams. I have noticed him taking it off now and then because it is a little heavy for him. It is a little heavier than your ring, but I tried it on to see. And imo it would be great for a second ring but not something to wear everyday.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
My platinum wedding band and e-ring together weigh 9-ish grams, so 12g in one ring on a size 5 will be pretty heavy. It also might be more prone to slipping off your finger becasue of the weight.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd be so clueless without this forum and my jewelers! Thanks everybody. I'm really glad to hear the different viewpoints about ring size. Since the ring is 4mm the weight is distributed around a larger area. I tried on two 2mm platinum bands together that weighed 5g each - I didn't like the feeling of two rings together but the weight seemed ok.

SLG you were right that comfort fit adds to the weight rather than decreases. Affguy - great suggestion and I looked at palladium but didn't get that special 'precious' feeling as it feels light and hollow compared to gold. The input from my previous posts and this topic has directly influenced the design - especially Ame and Missstepcut this time. The jeweler has slimmed down the sides/back a little and recreated the squarer front.

Overall I'm much happier with this design than previous versions. I definitely didn't want the ring to have a 'flat back' or appear overly square and I think this is accomplished. I'm glad in a way that my ring is unique even though it's pretty traditional. Any final thoughts?

EC3stone v09.jpg

EC3stone v09 2.jpg

EC3stone v09 3.jpg

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
...all together view in a more reasonable size

Finalview2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results