shape
carat
color
clarity

12 Affordable and Unusual Gemstones... if you can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not all beautiful stones are expensive. Some are rare enough only found in a single or limited source to be viable commercially. I have compiled some unusual and interesting stones fit for jewelry use. Budget-friendly with many just currently costing a few bucks in the market, they will make good jewelry (some maybe not for ring though) - if you can find them! It can be a challenge to hunt some of the stones, depending on your location. :)

1. Dumortierite in Quartz

This is a very beautiful stone that usually comes from Brazil, with most stones going to the Chinese and Japanese markets. Many traders lost money dealing with the stones as they bought stocks at a higher price when word came out that the Brazilian mine was depleting, then suddenly, a surge of supply was released. So you might find big variations on the price of the material in the market.

The more opaque, and even colored stones are sometimes sold as sapphire in India of which GIA had identified as Dumortierite Quartz rock.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-2013-gemnews-dumortierite-quartz-rock-sapphire

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Burmese Red Amber

Also know as Burmite, Burmese Amber is one of the oldest known amber, dating back during the Cretaceous period, approximately 100 million years ago. Yet there is a coveted variety of this old amber, which will require quite a hunt even in Myanmar - the reddish color pieces. Since amber is a lightweight material, even less than a carat will look big.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. Peruvian Pink Opal

The pink opals from Peru are more stable and more affordable than their blue counterparts, and sometimes, with a bit of search, you will be able to find it in translucent, bubble gum pinks.

image.jpeg

4. Lilac Moon Quartz

It looks like an Opal but with the hardness of quartz. A rare form of quartz, the pinkish purple stone usually comes from Brazil though recent finds from Bolivia which can have orange flashes have reached the market. Also known as lavender quartz or pearl amethyst, it is neither chalcedony nor amethyst, but more like rose quartz super-charged with manganese and/or titanium.

Unique and mysterious, David Yurman has used the material in his designs.

image.jpeg

5. Fire Agate

Found in only a few places in the US and Mexico, the multi-layer structure of the stone causes an unusual iridescence that is fascinating especially when combined the stones botryoidal structure.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. Petroleum Quartz

Usually a super cool stone for collectors, they don't cost a lot. The road block in these stones are they are difficult to cut, especially in gem facet form. I was told that apart from smelling bad when cutting, it's challenging to avoid those pocket spaces filled with liquids, where you can end up with a big cavity or a shattered stone if not cut properly. But once a faceted stone is archived, it's super cool to watch the the liquid petroleum and bubbles move and enjoy the fluorescence in UV light. You can also have them in natural double terminated crystals that doesn't need cutting or requires only a bit of polishing.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7. Chrysocolla in Chalcedony (excluding Arizona Gem Silica)

Arizona Gem Silica is highly prized, but chrysocolla in chalcedony from other sources can be striking, too - but not as highly priced. If you don't have the budget for those neon Paraiba tourmalines, these alternatives are also copper-bearing, and can have the neon glow. In fact, cut en cabochon, they can some look very similar to Paraiba tourmalines! Stones in the photo are from Congo (small glowy ones) and the bigger blues with pseudo malachite inclusions are from Israel.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. Bacan Stone

Speaking of chrysocolla chalcedony, there is a verdant, vivid green version! Hailing from Indonesia, they are called Bacan stones, named after an island in the region. There are other colors of Bacan stones, some are Carnelian colored, some are the blue greens. But the pure greens make a good alternative to green lovers that cannot shed some bucks on emeralds and jades.

The Bacan Stone was also mentioned in RWWise's Secrets of the Gem Trade.

image.jpeg

9. Mexican Yellow Opal

Lesser priced that the red and orange fire opals, these translucent stones can be a very bright lemon yellow or canary yellow.

image.jpeg

10. Rainbow Garnet

The rainbow garnet is an andradite garnet with a rainbow iridescence at the surface. Found in Japan, it is difficult to cut and mostly opaque and small, though transluscent to transparent stones can be found. It can be cut as stones with simple facet or slices to show the iridescence and is quite a curiosity for a garnet.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. Moldavite

Though not the best greens in the gem world, Moldavite is a contender of being one of the most interesting stones. Classified as a tektite, it was formed upon a meteorite impact on earth. It is the only translucent/transparent tektite. Mostly mined in Czech Republic, they can also be found in Germany and Austria. The huge meteorite impact that caused it occurred about 14-15 million years ago, it is one of the rarest minerals on earth.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. Owyhee Blue Opal

This stone originates from Oregon and can be opaque to transluscent. What makes this stone unique though is it can have this very pleasing milky cornflower blue color than reminds me of the light blue swirls of a cupcake frosting, a color hardly seen in other gems. The can't blue color is truly delicious!

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Other stones that are also interesting and beatiful are....

Quantum Quattro from Namibia (stattuckite, malachite, chrysocolla, and dioptase in quartz matrix)...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Other colors of Chalcedony (the dark blue ones are usually cut thinner, as they occur in bands or at the rim of thunder eggs) and green chrysoprase from Australia which can have a bit of a glowy feel...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Medusa Quartz from Brazil (aka Gilalite Quartz) which is found in the same location as paraiba tourmalines...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Some Jaspers with fantastic patterns....

image.jpeg

Fossilized coral...

image.jpeg

And the opals that are blue greens and blues from Peru (although pricier and you cannot place them in constant heat like display lights...they will dry out and craze).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Seaglow what a treasure trove of fascinating gems. So many beauties and so little $$$$ in the bank. Boo Hoo.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've so far only really spent time learning about diamonds on here - Coloured Stones are a whole other world of education!

They all look very interesting, thank you for posting them :)

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That was FUN! Thank you!
FM

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow. You have all of them. Does GIA teach these stones in class? Does some of your chrysocolla / gem silica change colour? I have never heard that pink opal comes in a translucent form. Is the pink opal stable? You should have a museum to display your collection.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want the bacan stone!!!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great list, thanks!! Many of the opaque gems in this list are often dyed and/or stabilized, so just be weary of treatments if looking for one. Moldavite is basically a green/brownish form of glass, so it's very soft, and I'm sorry, although I love the other gems on this list, I think moldavite is one of the ugliest colors ever for a gem, and it's often dark too.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Seaglow! I am in awe of your collection, and your generosity is amazing. Wow.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the list and pictures! I need some owyhee opal in my life! I love the denim looking color.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How fascinating and educational! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I love the pink opal and that petroleum quartz- so otherworldly! So fun learning about these beautiful miracles of nature.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow. You have all of them. Does GIA teach these stones in class? Does some of your chrysocolla / gem silica change colour? I have never heard that pink opal comes in a translucent form. Is the pink opal stable? You should have a museum to display your collection.

Some random stones can be discussed at GIA Events such as GIA Gatherings, and there can be updates on latest treatments or recent findings that are not included in the books. I'm not finished with the Colored Stones course but I did hang out with the previous Colored Students while I was taking the Diamonds Course heard you that usually you get the major gemstones, quartzes, silicas, feldspars, beryls.... and some can be quite tricky in corundum in Gem ID practical exams because some synthetics are mixed in the exam. And ofcourse you have to determine similar looking stones like morganite and kunzite. The rarer and unusual stones are included in the charts and manuals though.

My silicas are fine. They haven't changed but I'm observing them still.

The untreated pink opals are quite a challenge to find in transluscent form but they are stable.

Great list, thanks!! Many of the opaque gems in this list are often dyed and/or stabilized, so just be weary of treatments if looking for one. Moldavite is basically a green/brownish form of glass, so it's very soft, and I'm sorry, although I love the other gems on this list, I think moldavite is one of the ugliest colors ever for a gem, and it's often dark too.

In particular, Ethiopian opals can be dyed blue, pink, purple, and orange in most cases...soaking in water may reveal the dye or a bit destructive, on hydrogen peroxide solution. The Mexican yellows and Peruvian pinks, greens, and blues do not have a play of color in general so any play of color in these body colors are suspicious.

Ofcourse common treatment are the gray agates are dyed and sold as chalcedony and chrysoprase...

Moldavites are indeed natural glass and has a hardness of 5.5, most are indeed a hideous green, but some are quite nice. The photos show the best Moldavite colors I could get (faceted ones in earrings and rings) which I bought at Czech Republic. Moldavites are notoriously faked in China but the identification of naturals are easy under magnification.

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! I thought it was fun to compile affordable yet beautiful'or interesting stones. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some random stones can be discussed at GIA Events such as GIA Gatherings, and there can be updates on latest treatments or recent findings that are not included in the books. I'm not finished with the Colored Stones course but I did hang out with the previous Colored Students while I was taking the Diamonds Course heard you that usually you get the major gemstones, quartzes, silicas, feldspars, beryls.... and some can be quite tricky in corundum in Gem ID practical exams because some synthetics are mixed in the exam. And ofcourse you have to determine similar looking stones like morganite and kunzite. The rarer and unusual stones are included in the charts and manuals though.

My silicas are fine. They haven't changed but I'm observing them still.

The untreated pink opals are quite a challenge to find in transluscent form but they are stable.

In particular, Ethiopian opals can be dyed blue, pink, purple, and orange in most cases...soaking in water may reveal the dye or a bit destructive, on hydrogen peroxide solution. The Mexican yellows and Peruvian pinks, greens, and blues do not have a play of color in general so any play of color in these body colors are suspicious.

Ofcourse common treatment are the gray agates are dyed and sold as chalcedony and chrysoprase...

Moldavites are indeed natural glass and has a hardness of 5.5, most are indeed a hideous green, but some are quite nice. The photos show the best Moldavite colors I could get (faceted ones in earrings and rings) which I bought at Czech Republic. Moldavites are notoriously faked in China but the identification of naturals are easy under magnification.

I see moldavite sold on the shopping channels, and I've never seen a nice one on tv or in person. It's nice to hear there's some more attractive samples. I think they would be fascinating from scientific aspect considering how they were created. Thanks again for the great information and sharing!!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This was such an interesting read! I love seeing beautiful gems that are outside the dozen commonly known types. Thanks for this!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing, some beautiful colors and other qualities! I am a fan of chalcedony, though only have 1 not very nice one. I bought a tumbled quartz with rutile in it because I thought it was beautiful, now I want a dumortierite in quartz! Pink opal really pretty as well.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The fossilized coral reminds me of Petosky stones that we hunted on vacation a few times. The kids love them but they give me the creeps!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the rest of these stones, though! :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just took a risk on eBay from a vendor in China. Crossed fingers! Quite pricey for quartz but the price is dependent on the pattern. It seems that the Chinese vendors hoarded the material and you can hardly find them anywhere!

One goes to collection and one will be set in gold.

89B6C7D0-E92E-4F1B-A303-9B8A35790918.jpeg CD472EC7-B181-42CC-A52B-049678412568.jpeg

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great list, thank you so much for making this! Always nice to see some of the more uncommon stones get some love!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just took a risk on eBay from a vendor in China. Crossed fingers! Quite pricey for quartz but the price is dependent on the pattern. It seems that the Chinese vendors hoarded the material and you can hardly find them anywhere!

One goes to collection and one will be set in gold

89B6C7D0-E92E-4F1B-A303-9B8A35790918.jpeg CD472EC7-B181-42CC-A52B-049678412568.jpeg

Those are really nice. Do you think the color will be as blue as in the pics? What are the sizes and which one gets set? I think I like the first one best...no wait, the second one...
I am so attracted to rutile inclusions. They are my second love after the schiller in Oregon sunstone.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can't wait to see your photos when you get them!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One goes to collection and one will be set in gold.

In The first one, the 2 puffs look snuggled together, almost as if they are very close friends! The second one is like fireworks! Just lovely! Truly micro universes.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much for such a beautiful presentation. All the stones are amazing and beautiful.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are really nice. Do you think the color will be as blue as in the pics? What are the sizes and which one gets set? I think I like the first one best...no wait, the second one...
I am so attracted to rutile inclusions. They are my second love after the schiller in Oregon sunstone.

That’s the thing with Dumortierite inclusions. Some are really an azure blue and some pale and grayish. The stone in the top photo costs more than the 2nd one. The top photo is 6.5 carats and 2nd is 4.5 carats. I paid a bit more than usual for these 2 stones because they look amazing. The color can be an amazing blue but I would know for sure when I get them. :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In The first one, the 2 puffs look snuggled together, almost as if they are very close friends! The second one is like fireworks! Just lovely! Truly micro universes.

The first one costs more because of the color. The 2nd one I bought because they remind me of blue corals in the ocean floor. :)

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are gorgeous! (I need to find new adjectives.) It looks like little fireworks exploding in them.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a delicious post!
Thank you for sharing this. This is very kind of you. You have such an amazing collection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results