shape
carat
color
clarity

10th Year Anniversary 1/2 Eternity - Did I mess up?

holmatt

Rough_Rock
Great website....Ive been reading the threads for the past 2 hours and decided to post myself...now I'm really confused and hope I didn't mess up....I celebrate my 10th anniversary next week and decided to go with a 1/2 eternity....My initial intention was to go full eternity but my designer talked me out of it by going with just 1/2....I went with a size 5 ring...11 diamonds...EF colour/SI/WG and 13 pointers with a Lucida setting....Now I'm concerned b/c:

a) I didn't think about the spinning issues...perhaps I should've went with full or at least 3/4...
b) the Lucida setting makes the diamonds sit up a little...most of the threads talk about a low setting but this one I designed actually sits up---will this be problematic? Her e-ring is 18 YG 1.2 carat so she probably wont be wearing them together...I bought this as an alternative to wear...

Any insights will be greatly appreciated...I pick up the ring on Tuesday and will post pictures.

Thanks in advance.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
1/2 is going to be more durable and sizable so i think you made a good choice. If it spins you can have small sizing beads added to the inside of the shank.

ETA- sometimes a high profile can be uncomfortable and you should discuss with the jeweler. you might try just 7 stones over the top so they don't cut into her pinky and middle fingers.

holmatt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response....the ring is already made and ready for pickup...the concern that you mentioned is precisely what i am concerned with the higher setting...I liked the looks of the lucida setting but didnt consider how it would feel....Oh well...I should have found this website a month ago when I started the process...

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Don't sweat it until she's tried it on. The jeweler might be able to shave down the prongs or lower the stones if she finds it uncomfortable.

I'm sure she'll love it! You're extremely thoughtful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 11 stones will go around the sides of her fingers, so it may be uncomfortable if set too high. I think 7 stones at that size would be plenty to cover the visible area of the finger (I have a ring with 7 ten-pointers and it covers my 5 1/2 finger). When you give it to her, tell her it can be reset if it doesn't fit comfortably. I feel like the jeweler is a little at fault for not suggesting fewer stones with the high setting or a very low setting if using 13. She may also want to wear it on her right hand since it cannot be worn with her e-ring, so it may need to be resized at least.

Also, is some of her jewelry white gold? Because if she prefers yellow gold, normally you'd set this ring with a yellow gold shank and white gold prongs which is how I would think her e-ring would be done. Here is an example:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00361&mcat=148210&cid=287466&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+5-p+7-c+287466-r+101323351+101323339-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

Oh, and they have a 7 stone ring with 13 pointers just for you to see the proportions. Their setting is quite low:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP00108&mcat=148210&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+3-c+287466-r+101323351+101323340-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let her get it and try it on for a while before you sweat it too much. It sounds stunning!!!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
My e-ring is a half eternity and it is sized well to my hand so it doesn't spin much and it's not an issue to me. I think as long as it's sized properly you won't have any issues! I also have large knuckles that the ring needs to get over so it is a little loose, but like I said, it rarely ever spins.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 5 stone (16 ptrs) and it rarely spins. I think as long as the ring is sized correctly its not an issue.
Mine are set a little bit higher than most eternity rings but I like it that way because it sits really nicely
with my engagment ring.

Wait till you get it and see what she has to say...looking forward to pics!

holmatt

Rough_Rock
Thanks 4 the input ladies....I spoke with the designer and although it is set higher...it is only slightly and it shouldnt have an effect...My wife had to get a couple of her other rings resized so I know the size is correct...I cant wait to pick it up and to see it...Any ideas on how should I give it to her? We are going out for dinner on the actual day and planning a weekend away at a resort...should I give it to her on the day or wait for the weekend?

Any thoughts/experiences/reflections would be appreciated.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds lovely. I am sure she'll love it.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful anniversary surprise! If it were me I would want to receive it on the actual day of my anniversary and then be able to wear it on the weekend trip. Please come back and post some pictures of the ring for us.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'll sacrafice comfort for diamonds any day!! ;)) I'm sure that she will love it, post some pics, I'd love to see it! What a great anniversary surprise!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results