shape
carat
color
clarity

10k white gold and metal allergy/sensitivity

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi.
I'm looking into purchasing a pair of 10k white gold earrings (with posts made from the same metal). I have very sensitive ears and they usually get irritated when I wear earrings (which I never do now). I'm guessing I have a metal allergy, probably a nickel one. Most of my earrings are not high-end. I was walking around in sterling silver earrings yesterday and my ears seemed fine. Tricks like putting Neosporin on the earrings seems to help as well.

I've heard that white gold contains nickel. Are these earrings going to irritate me? I love the look and I'm ready to buy them, but I'm afraid I'll get a reaction.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears that you are allergic to the nickel in white gold jewellery. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver with the remaining 7.5% made up of copper. I don't think SS contains any nickel. 10K white gold is typically 41.7% gold, 33% silver, 25% copper and some nickel to add hardness to it. It is extremely likely that any white gold earrings are going to irritate your ears.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock
well this is quite old so i apologize for bumping...but i thought i'd give an update in case anyone finds this thread with a similar question.

i bought the earrings and they don't bother me one bit! very happy with them. so in my case, i can wear white gold despite my metal allergy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results