color
clarity

1000$ for a lab emerald?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2010 11:14:58 AM
Author:RockHugger
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-22Ct-OWNERSPRIDE-RICH-GREEN-NATURAL-EMERALD-COLUMBIA-/260615070451?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3cadde62f3

Saw this on ebay. This thing SCREAMS lab emerald to me. What do you think? It looks NOTHING like a columbian emerald.

It actually reminds me a bit of my Columbian emerald in incandescent light (my stone is more bluish green though), and I do see some inclusions in there, but they are synthesizing emeralds with inclusions. Regardless, the seller does not appear to have a reputable lab certificate, so I would stay away. $1100 for a stone like that is exceptionately cheap, and therefore, it''s highly suspect.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh trust me, Im not buying it! I just saw it and had to post it for you guys to take a look at. An emerald NATURAL that size and color I would expect to go for $$$,$$$. And not on ebay.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2010 11:22:30 AM
Author: RockHugger
Oh trust me, Im not buying it! I just saw it and had to post it for you guys to take a look at.

Thanks RH, it''s always good to see potential suspect gems from ebay or elsewhere.
1.gif

iLander

Ideal_Rock
There''s something really glassy about the reflection. Looks fake to me . . .

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like the part where they say that if you have left negative feedback you are not welcome to bid.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
It looks glassy to me too.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what it is. But aren''t lab emeralds more expensive than lab created rubies and sapphires.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Nothing on Ebay really surprises me these days.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I am no emerald officianado, but to me that''s the color an emerald should be... Am I crazy? When I hear emerald, that''s the color to which my mind jumps.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That one is extremely suspicious. It looks very close to an ideal color and the clarity is wonderful, I would caution that it could be synthetic. Emeralds like that are either synthetic or sold with lab reports for significantly more than that item. Something of this quality normally wouldn't be going through Thailand either....

--Joshua

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone bought it...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An emerald that huge, that clean and with that colour for under $2K? Either someone got the deal of the century or was ripped off big time.
38.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully it wasn''t the same person that bought the so-called pink diamond pear that Amguy pointed out.
face21.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 11:01:40 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Hopefully it wasn''t the same person that bought the so-called pink diamond pear that Amguy pointed out.
face21.gif

LOL!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The image on the left is of a flux grown synthetic emerald taken by Alberto Scarani and submitted to the Gemology Project. The image on the right is a blown up section of the emerald for sale on E-Bay. Notice the similar "boiling water" look of the light being transmitted through the stone ? This looks pretty close to me and would certainly keep me from considering this stone. It''s funny really. Often times you can spot curved growth lines and other obvious signs of synthetic origin on E-Bay images and people still bid the stones up WAY past their value. They just keep HOPING that they''ll get a good deal, but that''s an awful lot of $$$$ to be wasting on a wish. I sure hope that the buyer gets it checked and can return it.

EmCompare.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael I saw those growth lines in the vendor photo, but I didn't recall if they were in flux or natural emerald, so I didn't say anything. Thanks for the photos. It's highly suspect as a very good fake.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results