shape
carat
color
clarity

100 Facets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
This aimed at the experts either by trade or consumer...but what is the deal with the 100 facet diamond? Is it more sparkly, does it have better fire or brillance? Do the extra facets hide flaws or mask color? I was reading Martha Stewert Weddings and they had an ad for 100 facet diamonds. I could not see much of the diamonds in the ad, which I attached. Has anyone here heard of them? I did a quick search but mostly came up with items for sale on QVC...
33.gif

100facetsrcad.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
a while ago I posted a url for a list that shows all the branded diamonds out there. there are TONS of extra faceted diamonds...it''s so interesting. i wish i could recall that link or thread, i think it was from the AGS site and it had a huge listing of all the branded diamonds along with what their names were, facet #''s, owner of the brand etc.

i think the general feel is that the extra facets are supposed to add extra sparkles, but in reality for me, having seen some of them out there, it''s too chaotic of a sparkle for me. they don''t look like ''regular'' rounds to me, but more like cut glass sparkles, maybe more like a radiant or cushion. which is perfectly fine if you want that, but i think it''s funny that they are round brilliants, ''modified'' i think is the term and yet they don''t look like what most would consider a typical round.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Miss Mara...I tried searching but ya. Oh well I will post the link if I find it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
more is not always better. it makes for good marketing though.
21.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be interested in seeing one, but have my doubts.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I saw one one in person at a local store and it''s just as Mara described--a more "cahotic" sparkle vs. the well-defined flashes and fire of an H&A or regular Ideal cut RB.

It''s a different look, almost like a cut unto itself. I didn''t care for it over my Ideal RB but that''s me.
2.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
There are always going to be variations on classic themes. Here is a pdf listing proprietary cuts. Notice that there are many modified rounds with added facets that have come and gone. Others linger.

There is a reason the 57 facet RB endures. Simply put, the traditional configuration achieves a harmonious balance of performance factors in every size. The 'chaotic' look some of you have noted is a common descriptor for rounds with extra facets.

To that end (and in my personal experience), diamonds with added facets look best in larger sizes (1.5ct+).

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have looked at several of the "many" extra faceted diamonds (100+). I also checked out the diamonds with my idealscope.

My opinion based on the two brands that I looked at was that that they tend to add sparkle to an otherwise poorly cut diamond. i.e. adding sparkle to make up for lost light return (lots of leakage indicated by the Ideascope).

I also felt that the diamonds were "too busy" at the 1 carat and smaller size, but did seem to look better at a 2 carat size range. I could not directly compare them to a well cut regular diamond. But, I''d bet that a well cut (good Idealscope image) normal 57 facet diamond would look bigger in the 1 carat or smaller size range).

There are dozens of commonly available extra cut diamonds. I have it from both Good Old Gold and NiceIce that one of the better is the the Eighternity (with I belive 83 facets), in that it does not sacrifice table size and apparent size, tends to be a well cut (high light return) diamond. I have not yet inspected any Eighternity dimonds (but I will).

Perry

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
John posted the PDF link that I was thinking of...from GIA...yay!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ya''ll! I am likely to be asking other crazy questions as I just found out the aprox budget for my center stone and I know a RB. I want to make sure that I have one that sends off as many sparkles as possible. I am soo glad I found PS!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
EDITED: [Sorry, wrong thread]

madrock

Rough_Rock
My earrings are Roberto Coin centro diamonds (E VS2 1.24 and F VS1 1.28) and they are incredibly sparkly -- but now that I''ve discovered pricescope, I''m not so sure they are worth the premium my hubby paid.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matatora:

My advice is for you to get an IdealScope and lightable (I recomend the professional model - I think you will appreciate the added quality and magnivication of the lens).

Focus on getting a great light return diamond, That will have more of an impression than just some sparkles from an otherwise poorly cut diamond (paying for wasted weight).

Then, you can determine how much sparkle you need based on the size of the diamond.

For less than 3/4 carat I do not see any advantage to added facets.

Perry

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I dont want one I just like knowing things about diamonds...but thanks Perry.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey John, thanks for posting that link to the patented cuts! Very informative!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results