shape
carat
color
clarity

100 Carats: Icons of the Gem World

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I had seen that earlier. Ill try and get there this month. We went to LACMA today and they had some stunners spread throughout various exhibitions.

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
I went to see the exhibit today and did not want to leave! Beautiful gemstones that were so large that they almost didn't seem real. The Jonker I diamond was breathtaking! Of course I'm slightly biased in favor of my birthstone, so my favorites would have to be the sapphires, especially the 177.91ct Eastern Star sapphire.

The exhibit runs through April 21st so there's still time to catch it if you're in the area. For additional background, there's an interesting podcast featuring interviews with the curators of the exhibit. (https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...th-carol-woolton/id1564034433?i=1000644568452)
JonkerIDiamond_cropped.JPG TheEasternStarSapphire_cropped.JPG

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for bringing this up! I kept seeing the ad but thought it was just another sales ad and ignored the fine print. Will have to catch it!

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for bringing this up! I kept seeing the ad but thought it was just another sales ad and ignored the fine print. Will have to catch it!

You're welcome! I think you'll love it -- the entire Gem and Mineral Hall at the museum is worth exploring! The vault where the "100 carat" gemstones are displayed can only accommodate a limited number of people at a time, so I suggest going early if you can to avoid a long wait. Also, keep in mind that many schools are on Spring break, which means there are plenty of families with children visiting the museum.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
The star sapphires have super prominent stars and there’s a smaller 101 ct set in a stunning ring. Beryl fans need to go check out the giant aquamarine crystal! The aquamarine set in the pendant next to it is 78 ct as a point of reference.
IMG_2467.jpeg
IMG_2468.jpeg IMG_2458.jpeg IMG_2459.jpeg

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
The star sapphires have super prominent stars and there’s a smaller 101 ct set in a stunning ring. Beryl fans need to go check out the giant aquamarine crystal! The aquamarine set in the pendant next to it is 78 ct as a point of reference.
IMG_2467.jpeg
IMG_2468.jpeg IMG_2458.jpeg IMG_2459.jpeg

Thank you for sharing! Your photos for those stunning pieces came out much clearer than mine.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@0-0-0, thank you so much for posting this!!! I went first thing this morning and had the gem vault completely to myself for about 20 minutes. It was heaven!!!

It was amazing to see how refractive the diamond wa compared to the other gemstones in the same lighting. What a feast for the eyes! Highly recommend!

And that podcast is a great listen, too!

IMG_7735.jpeg IMG_7736.jpeg IMG_7738.jpeg IMG_7737.jpeg IMG_7740.jpeg IMG_7739.jpeg

Last edited:

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Nice video of the Jonker I! Lucky you had the vault to yourself! It was busy when I went and felt rushed in the vault. It was challenging to take photos/videos in there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results