shape
carat
color
clarity

10 Year Anniversary coming up!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adrienne10

Rough_Rock
First, let me say what a fabulous site this is! I am so happy to have found it and have been scouring over it for the past few days. My husband is about to disconnect our DSL ;-)

So...our 10th anniversary is coming up and I want t new ring! And my husband wants me to have a new ring :) We were starving students when we were married and while I love my ring, I just feel like it''s time for a change. And I really want to mark this momentous occasion! My ering is yellow gold, with a small round stone in the middle and 3 teeny tiny diamonds on either side. The wedding band is yellow gold with 6 teeny tiny diamonds. Both bands are very slim which is good because I have short stubby fingers!

So...now on to my question. I guess the biggest one is what is most flattering for short stubby fingers? I think I wear about a 6.5. There just is not a whole lot of space between my hand and knuckle, so a wide band or huge stone is not an option. Besides the fact that we still don''t have a ton of money. We have two small children now and are saving up for a house, so I''d like to try to stay under $3000. Is that possible? I don''t know if it would be possible to get a new set for that much, but I don''t want it to look like I''m just wearing an ering, so maybe a band? Maybe an eternity band? I''m thinking white gold might be my best option. Just a side note - typically the Tacori style has been my favorite - I like all the intricate details. But I think anything like that would be in our price range and I don''t know if it would look good on me.

I live in pretty expensive area, so I think ordering online or maybe a trip to the Los Angeles Diamond District is in order. Does anyone have any experience on eBay? I found a seller on there who has really great feedback, but I just don''t know about that. Am I allowed to post a link to show you all?

Is that enough information??? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

- Adrienne

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome adrienne anc congrats on your anniversary!
35.gif

first of all....please (please please please) don''t spend your money on ebay. i love ebay and buy things there all the time BUT i only spend money that i can afford to lose. because really...it is just like gambling.
7.gif

there are some great vendors here with great diamonds, great prices and most importantly, great return policies.

i think a semi-eternity would be a great option (full eternities cannot be easily sized) if you want to go the ''band ''o diamonds'' route.
2.gif

you could also get a great stand alone 3stone!

lots of options.

just....please, no ebay.
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some lovely 5 and 7 stone rings at Signed Pieces in your price range. link

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
You sound like my wife (10th anniversary, stubby fingers, student edition engagement ring etc.)

The combined PS wisdom recommended something elongated for stubby fingers when I asked, an oval, marquis, or along those lines. For what it''s worth I think you can get some very nice rings for under $3000 so I wouldn''t worry about the budget being too small.

If you wouldn''t mind a ''used'' ring, some of the antique or vintage rings on www.faycullen.com are very nice - art deco, filigree etc. If you like intricate it''sa great place to look and some of the prices are very reasonable. In the eternity ring category there are loads of options that could fit the bill.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Adrienne, and congrats!

I quickly pulled a ring together for you, just to give you an idea of what you could do setwise. This stone is higher color than I''d recommend, but I couldn''t find exactly what I wanted. If you took this down to an H, and kept the clarity, you would be able to go a little bigger.
31.gif

Stone

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=937901

Setting example

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?module=setting&cid=57&item=937

You would also get a discount from JA on the stone, but I''m not sure exactly what.

Then just get a simple band to go with.

Not saying you should do this, in case you''re leaning towards a diamond band, just wanted to show you your options.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I''m a little biased...but my five stone band in WG (mine is plat) would be about 3200 and it is *very* blingy. It looks much more expensive than it is and I love love love it!!! You could keep it below 3k if you want to have the stones ever so slightly smaller. It''s a great look for the money and very comfortable to wear. This might be a way for you to get more for your money compared to a solitaire.

Here''s the thread about my band:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-5-stone-u-shaped-amazing-wedding-band.54795/

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Here is another option that will give you more of a vintage look, especially if you like sapphires with diamonds:

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=2655616

http://www.abazias.com/database/newjewelryinfo.asp?stock=ENG-SS-12-1249

That would be a beautiful combination for the Tacori style without the price. I think you have a nice budget to work with and should be able to get something extremely nice. If you want to invest most of your money in the diamond with a basic solitaire setting you should be able to get something very nice around 3/4 carat, G/H, VS/SI with an ideal cut, or around a 1/2 carat if you want to invest a little more in the setting as well as the diamond.

The only thing about the ring I proposed above is that you won''t be able to easily find a wedding band to fit flush against it, if that''s something you want.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 9:33:54 PM
Author: kcoursolle
So I''m a little biased...but my five stone band in WG (mine is plat) would be about 3200 and it is *very* blingy. It looks much more expensive than it is and I love love love it!!! You could keep it below 3k if you want to have the stones ever so slightly smaller. It''s a great look for the money and very comfortable to wear. This might be a way for you to get more for your money compared to a solitaire.

Here''s the thread about my band:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-5-stone-u-shaped-amazing-wedding-band.54795/
KCOURSOLLE, I CHECKED OUT YOUR LINK AND LOVE YOUR 5 STONE!! IT IS A TIMELESS CLASSIC, THAT WILL ALWAYS BE BEAUTIFUL AND NEVER GO OUT OF STYLE!!! I HAVE A SMALLER VERSION OF IT WITH THE U PRONGS, AND I LOVE THE SIDE VIEW ALSO. I WEAR MINE AS AN ANNIVERSARY BAND ON MY RIGHT HAND, AND SOMETIMES WITH MY 3 STONE E-RING INSTEAD OF MY REGULAR WEDDING BAND. YOURS IS AWESOME, AND A STAND ALONE PIECE, FOR FUN YOU COULD TRY A 2MM PLAT HIGH POLISH BAND WITH IT IF YOU EVER WANTED TO CHANGE UP. (THAT''S MY THING TO CHANGE UP BANDS FOR DIFFERENT LOOKS, BUT, GIRL, YOURS IS PERFECTION!!!
12.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, thanks preacherswife. I really do love this ring...perhaps even more than my ering! It''s a great value and looks very blingy. It''s also really comfortable. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who wants something substantial and classic looking without spending a ton of money.

adrienne10

Rough_Rock
Wow...thanks everyone for all your advice!

I''ve spent the last few days browsing this site like crazy but now I''m more confused then ever!!!

Now I don''t know what I want. I do know that I LOVE Kaleigh''s ring - the round with pear sides. And with the band - heaven. And I also love 3 stone cushions. BUT we don''t have a big enough budget to get a really fabulous ring. Even if we doubled it to about 5K, I just don''t know. I''m not sure if I should just get a 3 stone of whatever I can afford, or hold off until I can afford a bigger ring.

Maybe I should just go with a semi-eternity or 5 stone for now, with a plan to buy a coordinating ring in the future? If I plan on getting a 3 stone to wear with it down the line, then I''ll need to figure out what style setting would look best with it and not rub the wrong way, and what size diamonds to get for the band.

What do you think???

Thank again!!!

- Adrienne

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have a great idea to get a beautiful 5 or 7 stone band now, and later, maybe for the 20th, get a larger e-ring diamond to wear with it. I also love Kaleigh''s ring, but that center stone is over 2 carats, and it is simply not going to look the same as a half carat center with tiny sides. When you do get to that point, do come back here, though, and we can direct you to some high quality stones that can even be upgraded later! But I''d look at Facets/Signed pieces and find a beautiful diamond band for this anniversary!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2007 5:03:01 PM
Author: adrienne10
Wow...thanks everyone for all your advice!

I''ve spent the last few days browsing this site like crazy but now I''m more confused then ever!!!

Now I don''t know what I want. I do know that I LOVE Kaleigh''s ring - the round with pear sides. And with the band - heaven. And I also love 3 stone cushions. BUT we don''t have a big enough budget to get a really fabulous ring. Even if we doubled it to about 5K, I just don''t know. I''m not sure if I should just get a 3 stone of whatever I can afford, or hold off until I can afford a bigger ring.

Maybe I should just go with a semi-eternity or 5 stone for now, with a plan to buy a coordinating ring in the future? If I plan on getting a 3 stone to wear with it down the line, then I''ll need to figure out what style setting would look best with it and not rub the wrong way, and what size diamonds to get for the band.

What do you think???

Thank again!!!

- Adrienne
First take a DEEP breath. Exhale. Diamond shopping is both fun and overwhelming. Now that you''ve checked out PS it''s time to do some shopping at regular stores. (called B&M on PS) NO NO don''t buy anything there. Just to try on all different styles and see what looks good on YOUR hand.

A setting or style might look great on your hand but terrible on mine. You''ve got to find out what looks good on you. If you like the 5 stones focus on them. Find out how thick the band should be. Even try it on with some erings to get an idea of the future look. If you want it smaller to go with your current ering and plan to upgrade later go with a vendor with a good upgrade policy.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results