shape
carat
color
clarity

10 days to view typo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

12monkeys

Rough_Rock
I want to thank all on this site for the topics and responses to all questions posed.
The wealth of knowledge and direction is infinite.
This form helped me immensely.

I found the DIAMOND I want at Whiteflash.com
They have a 10 return policy.
I want the stone to be set in a Vatche ring.

My question is, Should I have the stone appraised and verified first then get it set?, or can it be appraised and verified after it is set?

student

Shiny_Rock
The appraiser can do a much better analysis of the stone while it is loose. I have read that appraisers will set stones for you after appraising them. If I end up getting my stone and setting from the same place, I'm planning to have both sent to the appraiser, with the stone loose, and then ask the appraiser to set the stone. That way you get the advantage of having the stone appraised loose but don't need an additional appraisal to ascertain the value of the complete ring.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I have read that appraisers will set stones for you after appraising them.
------

Student, you’re right. The only nuance here is that Vatche prefers to set the stones himself. Otherwise, you loose the Vatche guarantee.

.[/u][/u]

12monkeys

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion and information.

12monkeys

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion and information.

student

Shiny_Rock
I'm thinking of Vatche myself--so would the stone go from the vendor to the appraiser to Vatche and then to me? (That's a lot of travel!) Could the appraiser issue an appraisal for the complete ring without seeing the setting if he knew exactly which one Vatche was going to use?

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I think (correct me if I am wrong) that appraisers such as Dave preferred to view the diamond loose first. And then when you have it set, no matter if it is from who you bought it from or someone else, you have to either send it back or have the jeweler who set it for you contact Dave and give him the setting information. In order to have a proper insurance appraisal it needs to include setting information.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I'm thinking of Vatche myself--so would the stone go from the vendor to the appraiser to Vatche and then to me? (That's a lot of travel!) Could the appraiser issue an appraisal for the complete ring without seeing the setting if he knew exactly which one Vatche was going to use?
----------------

Student, I think it depends on what do you want from the appraising.

If you want to check and verify your diamond independently, then yes - you better have it loose. If you need an appraisal for insurance, you have to appraise the whole ring.

Some people who are comfortable with their vendors are buying a diamond and get them set without shipping back and forth. Others like to check the loose stone first.

Each approach is fine as long as it makes you feel comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results