shape
carat
color
clarity

10 ct diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jdoc21

Rough_Rock
i need to know where i can get a idea of value on a 10 ct dia. sol. its perfection si2 color mno (yellow not browm). i have a lady wanting to sell it. bo
34.gif
34.gif
ught in 1974 with an appraisal of 90,000.00 dated same.

Zoomed In  12.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/27/2007 8:12:42 AM
Author:jdoc21
i need to know where i can get a idea of value on a 10 ct dia. sol. its perfection si2 color mno (yellow not browm). i have a lady wanting to sell it. bo
34.gif
34.gif
ught in 1974 with an appraisal of 90,000.00 dated same.
Just an idea...
31.gif

Get it appraised again (2007)...
2.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
wouldn''t even begin to give a fair price for it before taking it out of the setting and examing further.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wouldn’t it be great if there were professional services available where people could go to consult with an expert about exactly what they have and to get unbiased advise on how much they could expect to get from a sale? I wonder what you would call such a service?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2007 11:34:53 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Wouldn’t it be great if there were professional services available where people could go to consult with an expert about exactly what they have and to get unbiased advise on how much they could expect to get from a sale? I wonder what you would call such a service?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
LOL!!!
9.gif

In case you didn''t get the subtle hint, no one should sell a 10 carat diamond without a current appraisal. What scares me is that stone is likely very underinsured if the last appraisal was in 1974!!!
6.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Ok, the same person posted the same question, two weeks ago, in this very forum. Proper advice was given the first time. Maybe they don''t really want to know the value?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is actually a major problem that appraisers face more or less daily. The client, meaning the owner of the ring, has taken it to a jeweler because she wants to sell it. The jeweler has some ‘facts’, possibly based on their own observations or possibly simply copied from that anonymous 1974 appraisal about weight, clarity and possibly color. The jeweler was hoping to look it up in a price chart to produce a number that represents what it’s ‘worth’. Since the charts don’t usually go up to 10 carats he’s looking for an alternative way to get a free answer and the jeweler is who keeps posting the question here.

Of course he/she doesn’t want a correct answer or any dissembling about value being related to a particular marketplace, not just a particular item and a price chart. What they want is a big number that can then be used as an advertisement. Isn’t that what appraisals are for? They want the customer to think of them as an expert and referring her to an outside service completely defeats the point. This risks losing an obviously valuable client or potential seller. They want an opinion for free and they can’t imagine the possibility that there are people out there who know more about this than they do. Since their opinion has no value, how could an appraiser’s be any better? At the same time, the owner has no clue at all that this is going on. She went to a jeweler to inquire about how to sell her ring because that’s the obvious choice for where to go. For most people, the only other alternative they can think of is a pawn shop. Independent appraisers are few and far between and fakes are common, more common than the real ones unfortunately.

Sooner or later the jeweler is going to have to answer the question. He can just make something up, which is free, or he can get credibile sorucing, which is not.

The sensible way to market a 10ct stone involves not only an appraisal so she knows a reasonable price to expect but a lab exam to answer the question of clarity, color, weight and possibly other things. Based purely on the photo and description, I wouldn’t be surprised if that stone is more like S/T color than M. That’s 8 grades! Yes, it makes a difference. Who said SI2 and why should you believe them? I1 and SI1 are importantly different. You can bet that any potential buyer who is seriously willing to spend this kind of money won’t be relying on this 1974 ‘appraisal’ for their grading and pricing so why would a seller put themselves in a position of knowing less than their customer? That's just a bad business decision no matter what you're selling but especially if there's a lot of money involved. Oh yeah, it saves a few hundred dollars in professional fees and it makes the jeweler look smart, at least until she figures it out. An anonymous opinion from an unknown Internet source who has never seen the stone is so much better. It’s free! What could be wrong with that?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

free candy.gif

jdoc21

Rough_Rock
sorry im new here and thought i would get emails when someone replyed. i have not seen anything on last post and i guess i dont know where to go and see them. this time i bookmarked it and was checking and boom, here are replys.wow cool.
Date: 10/29/2007 9:51:31 AM
Author: denverappraiser
This is actually a major problem that appraisers face more or less daily. The client, meaning the owner of the ring, has taken it to a jeweler because she wants to sell it. The jeweler has some ‘facts’, possibly based on their own observations or possibly simply copied from that anonymous 1974 appraisal about weight, clarity and possibly color. The jeweler was hoping to look it up in a price chart to produce a number that represents what it’s ‘worth’. Since the charts don’t usually go up to 10 carats he’s looking for an alternative way to get a free answer and the jeweler is who keeps posting the question here.

Of course he/she doesn’t want a correct answer or any dissembling about value being related to a particular marketplace, not just a particular item and a price chart. What they want is a big number that can then be used as an advertisement. Isn’t that what appraisals are for? They want the customer to think of them as an expert and referring her to an outside service completely defeats the point. This risks losing an obviously valuable client or potential seller. They want an opinion for free and they can’t imagine the possibility that there are people out there who know more about this than they do. Since their opinion has no value, how could an appraiser’s be any better? At the same time, the owner has no clue at all that this is going on. She went to a jeweler to inquire about how to sell her ring because that’s the obvious choice for where to go. For most people, the only other alternative they can think of is a pawn shop. Independent appraisers are few and far between and fakes are common, more common than the real ones unfortunately.

Sooner or later the jeweler is going to have to answer the question. He can just make something up, which is free, or he can get credibile sorucing, which is not.

The sensible way to market a 10ct stone involves not only an appraisal so she knows a reasonable price to expect but a lab exam to answer the question of clarity, color, weight and possibly other things. Based purely on the photo and description, I wouldn’t be surprised if that stone is more like S/T color than M. That’s 8 grades! Yes, it makes a difference. Who said SI2 and why should you believe them? I1 and SI1 are importantly different. You can bet that any potential buyer who is seriously willing to spend this kind of money won’t be relying on this 1974 ‘appraisal’ for their grading and pricing so why would a seller put themselves in a position of knowing less than their customer? That''s just a bad business decision no matter what you''re selling but especially if there''s a lot of money involved. Oh yeah, it saves a few hundred dollars in professional fees and it makes the jeweler look smart, at least until she figures it out. An anonymous opinion from an unknown Internet source who has never seen the stone is so much better. It’s free! What could be wrong with that?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

jdoc21

Rough_Rock
ok. i dont know why i didnt think of getting it appraised. the closest place is 2 1/2 hours away. so i guess i will have to ship it somewhere. anybody have any idea what to value to put for insurance??????????

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2007 6:15:20 AM
Author: jdoc21
ok. i dont know why i didnt think of getting it appraised. the closest place is 2 1/2 hours away. so i guess i will have to ship it somewhere. anybody have any idea what to value to put for insurance??????????
$29.95

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Giving a sight unseen figure based on a mediocre photo of an uncertified 10 carat diamond with a questionable description is something not many appraisers are going to bite on.

Small things can make a big difference in value on a large stone like that, and nobody wants to be responsible for "guessing" incorrectly. An appraiser carries the possibility of legal repercussions every time he opens his mouth, so most tend to be cautious, especially when putting something in writing on a public forum. Intended helpful advice can boomerang back on you years later to cause you grief.

I would suggest you research databases like Polygon or DiamondFloor.com to see what you consider like quality diamonds to be bringing on the market. You might try the Pricescope search engine as well to see if it turns up anything.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to the insurer about it. If this is owned by a consumer, there's a decent chance that there's an insurance company already involved. A 2 1/2 hour drive or a short flight might be worth the trouble. I have clients who do this regularly but I guess people in my part of the country are less put off by that sort of thing.

Where are you?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/3/2007 6:15:20 AM
Author: jdoc21
The asking price of the ring plus 10%+/-

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results