shape
carat
color
clarity

1 wk. old ring, loose dia. X2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.82 diamond in a 4 prong platinum setting. I had the prongs tightened on Sat. because I could turn the diamond in the setting about a 16th of an inch. Now it wiggles again, though not as bad. The jeweler told me that I may need to get a different setting. Any suggestions? BTW, the place I got the diamond has a replacement guarantee against loss as long as I go back to them for any repairs.

Gueneth

Rough_Rock
Are the jeweler and the place you bought the diamond one and the same? If so, have them fix it until they get it right! If not, then I'd consider getting another setting...preferably with 6 prongs for the size of your diamond. You don't want to risk losin' that baby.
errrr.gif

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
The man who does the repairs is hired by the store that I bought the ring from. The setting is a very simple tiffany. I'll soon be replacing it with a heavier duty one. Till then, I'll keep getting it tightened. Thanks for your help.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the diamond keeps coming loose, the setting is probably notched incorrectly. If the setting is notched incorrectly, the setter is probably not the best.

With a 1.82, I'd make sure to have the best set it, using a new head. Even if you have to go somewhere else and pay for it.

Also, I would recommend a platinum setting versus white gold. The platinum settings have a much better ratio of not "losing" stones than white gold.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
The jeweler that has tightened & sized the ring for me is more than likely not the stone setter. I will talk to the jeweler & the store about getting a different setting at little or no cost to me. The setting doesn't have a head that can be changed. Thank you for the platinum advice. I really want platinum but have heard conflicting stories.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Forget the conflicting stories. You're much safer with a platinum head than white gold. I've seen the performance of both over the past 23 years, and there's no comparison.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Quick update. Took ring in today & jeweler replaced the head with a heavier duty one. Still 4 prongs but so far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results