shape
carat
color
clarity

1 Carat or 2 carat Princess diamond???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
hi there

I am replacing a lost engagement ring, and was hoping for some advice.

I have found two engagement rings I like - the problem do I chose quality over quantity??

The first is a 1.01 ct, G colour, S1 clarity around 6mm for $11,000 AUS ($7500 US) or 2.04 ct, J colour VS1 clarity around 7.5mm for AUS $15,000 ($9,900 US). Both are set in 18ct white gold in a bezel setting.

I personally a big diamond, but do not want to buy an inferior diamond..........

Any suggestions, most welcome!

Cheers!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there!
1.gif
Well I guess it depends on how well each diamond is cut but a 2 carat princess will be about the same size as a 1.5 carat round brilliant. This chart might helps http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/actual-diamond-size.pdf . Have you tried on a princess cut diamond? The reason I ask is because I was in your shoes a couple of years ago and had to replace my ring and thought I wanted a Princess; I don't have long fingers so it made my fingers look shorter. I am not trying to sway you either way; I would just go try on some stones and see what you like best.
12.gif
Also if you give us your budget we can help you look
35.gif
Or can you give us more information on the stones you posted? For the round brilliant, crown, pavilion, table and depth numbers are needed please?

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hello Skippy123

thankyou so much for your reply!

Yes its definetly a princess cut diamond I want - all my friends have a round brillant so I do want to be abit different from them!! I have tried on all the different shapes, and I keep coming back to the princess - thankyou so much for your suggestion though.

I have no other info on the diamonds except they are both GIA certified, and near identical to look at bar the size. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt paying too much for either of them. If it helps the 1.01 ct is from a retail jeweller, but the 2.04 is being sold 'on the side' by a master jeweller....

ANyhow, I do appreciate your help!
18.gif

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
What make a diamond superior/inferior to most of us is cut- for example, a very poorly cut 1 carat princess can face up almost as large as a well cut 2 carat, but won''t be as attractive.
If there are no certs and you have no desire to get them certified/appraised -which is harder to do in mounted jewelry- then just get the one you like more.
The G will be whiter then the J, but if you''re not too sensitive to color, you might be able to go G. The SI1 should be eye clean, but you will want to verify with the vendor, and if possible your own eyes, that it is.
Much luck bugaboo!

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
just checking on the math re: a 2 carat princess = spread of 1.5 carat round. no. if you look at the chart you''ll see a round 2 carat = 8.2 mm diameter. a princess (square) = 7.5 mm per side. simple math shows area of square = length X width. area of circle = pi X radius X radius.

i think some people forget that you can''t straight compare a circle with a square. when comparing the width of a square versus width of a circle you have to take into account the area in the corners of the square which is missing from a circle with the same width.

i apologize for my nerdiness. it''s just that i''ve heard that same argument countless times and people just seem to accept it.

anyhoo, there is generally a small difference in area when comparing princesses to rounds. rounds are usually a little bigger, however, not to the extent that i''ve seen people express here.

back to your diamond dilemma...

if you can deal with a J and it seems white enogh for you then the 2 carat would definitely be the best bang for your buck. that seems to be the only variable.

your dilemma is a yummy one!
18.gif

good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 8:30:46 PM
Author:bugaboo
hi there

I am replacing a lost engagement ring, and was hoping for some advice.

I have found two engagement rings I like - the problem do I chose quality over quantity??

The first is a 1.01 ct, G colour, S1 clarity around 6mm for $11,000 AUS ($7500 US) or 2.04 ct, J colour VS1 clarity around 7.5mm for AUS $15,000 ($9,900 US). Both are set in 18ct white gold in a bezel setting.

I personally a big diamond, but do not want to buy an inferior diamond..........

Any suggestions, most welcome!

Cheers!
Well both sound fine with their colour and clarity specs ( assuming GIA or AGS graded), it is the cut which will get you a beautiful diamond, have you seen the diamonds in person?

One thing you could do is to purchase an ASET scope which would help you judge the cut of the diamonds in person.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hello again

Yes, I have seen both in person, but the diamonds are set already in the rings. I prefer the bigger diamond as it is just so much more eye-catching. I was just abit worried about the J grading, but after researching on PS I have concluded that there are great J colours out there if you know what you are looking for! There is no way we could a 2.04 carat in G/H my preferred colour ..........

Thankyou to all the advice, I was going to see if each jeweller would enable me to get a valuer to have at look at them, just so I have a third party to give me some advice - i am no expert!

thanks again and much appreciated to all you experts
18.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 4:02:03 PM
Author: bugaboo

Hello again

Yes, I have seen both in person, but the diamonds are set already in the rings. I prefer the bigger diamond as it is just so much more eye-catching. I was just abit worried about the J grading, but after researching on PS I have concluded that there are great J colours out there if you know what you are looking for! There is no way we could a 2.04 carat in G/H my preferred colour ..........

Thankyou to all the advice, I was going to see if each jeweller would enable me to get a valuer to have at look at them, just so I have a third party to give me some advice - i am no expert!

thanks again and much appreciated to all you experts
18.gif
That is a splendid idea, you could try this tool to find an independant appraiser in your area.

http://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

And thank you so much for your very kind words, for the most part we are just consumers who enjoy helping!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results