shape
carat
color
clarity

1 carat dimensions help

BayouKip

Rough_Rock
Hello fellows, so I'm totally new to this diamond shopping, I think I've learned alot from this forum, and I'd like to thank you all for your time in making this forum a valuable resource.

So here goes: I'm looking at a stone, I want it to be about 1 carat, I was told by a friend a 1 carat should have a diameter of between 6.4 to 6.5 mm, and that I should rule out a stone with a dimension of 6.2 or 6.6. Is this true?

Second, I have found a stone that scores well using the HCA. However it has dimensions of 6.58-6.62 mm x 3.94, I am worried, is this to big, will it affect the visual performance, thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post the proportions you used for the HCA.

BayouKip

Rough_Rock
Depth 59.7
Table 57.6
Crown 33.8
Pavilion 40.9

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the diametre and depth are the result of all the proportions - if the proportions work together to produce a pretty stone the diametre and depth are inherently fine. So don't worry about just those numbers by themselves - just focus on finding a pretty stone, and everything else naturally falls into place :)) HCA that SC suggests is a good weeding tool, it'll help you get an inventory of fifty down to five or ten that are "likely worth further investigation".

Numbers look fine, but numbers don't tell the whole story - can you get pics/scan? Or have you seen it in-person, and compared it to other stones in various types of lighting, and did you consistently prefer it to those others?

BayouKip

Rough_Rock
I'm shopping from an online vendor, so I haven't seen it. They do offer a good return policy though. If I go with this stone I intend to have it appraised immediately

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.6mm will be very nice if the stone ends up being beautiful!

BayouKip

Rough_Rock
The AGS cert has a computer generated light performance map, giving it a score of 0 or ideal, what does this mean in real life terms

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BayouKip|1306709909|2933320 said:
The AGS cert has a computer generated light performance map, giving it a score of 0 or ideal, what does this mean in real life terms

crop and post the map

simulated aset can be a useful tool - it is a simulation of diamond appearance through the scope when the diamond girdle plane is directly perpendicular to the scope - same configuration as the 'actual' ASET photos you find on various vendors' sites. Prefer the actual photo, as we don't have info on scanning/programme uncertainty in the simulation.. simulation is strictly based on proportions - does not consider light return influences like stone body colour, inclusions, etc.

more info on using ASET and reading output here http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_howto.asp

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scan looks fine - nothing to worry about there. Stone is no H&A unless something is quite wrong w/ the scan.

Based on that I would be interested in having it shipped out to inspect in-person/get appraised, since you know vendor has a good return policy.

BayouKip

Rough_Rock
Can you offer any advice on what i can expect with the inclusions... i believe i am limited to an SI2 by my budget, and whats H&A mean

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't tell you anything at all about visibility of inclusions from the plot on the report. Even with photos - what you can see, and what you find acceptable, depends on your vision and preferences. Ultimately it is a reasonably sized SI2, if you are expecting clean from the sides you'll most probably be disappointed, clean from face-up will depend on that stone and your requirements/vision.. now if the vendor had the stone in-hand you could specify what you're looking for (totally clean in most lights w/ 20/20 vision from 6" face-up, from 12", from the sides..) and have them check, but it does not sound like this is an in-house specimen?

H&A - hearts and arrows patterns resulting from a stone cut with high optical symmetry - intro here https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/hearts-and-arrows-diamonds and lots more threads if you do PS searches in Rocky Talky and Research subforums.

BayouKip

Rough_Rock
H&A, got it! Thanks, fascinating in it's own right... I'll request the eye clean check, thanks a ton!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results