shape
carat
color
clarity

1.98 h ACA or 2.05 g PS

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I’ve been back and forth between these two. Any insight would help. I’m inclined to go w the 1.98 and have it on hold as I’m prioritizing cut but the G color is tempting and is very well cut as well. The 1.98 is also .01mm larger in diameter too ( not that that’s possible to see). And also just seems to edge out the 2.05 in fire when looking at the videos.

Thanks for your insights! Seems like there isn’t a wrong choice.

this WF ACA 1.98ct H vs2

And this WF PS 2.05ct G vs2

And here’s a side by side photo comparing color.

Attachments

• 69BF74EE-E777-40AD-BA06-AA0B17CF9497.jpeg
    69BF74EE-E777-40AD-BA06-AA0B17CF9497.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 50

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hand down the the 2.05 G VS2! It crosses the 2ct mark, it is whiter, beautifully cut, at the same price and with PS, you still get WF’s amazing upgrade policy, so you can always upgrade it in the future if you are not happy or want something else.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
With the 40.7/34.4 and 61.6% depth, the 1.98 looks on paper to have the better dimensions I think (compared to 40.6/35.5 and 62.6).... and in the bigger stone the extra weight is hidden in the depth. However, the video does suggest that the 2.05 looks noticeably whiter, so maybe depends on how color sensitive you/the recipient are.

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
With the 40.7/34.4 and 61.6% depth, the 1.98 looks on paper to have the better dimensions I think (compared to 40.6/35.5 and 62.6).... and in the bigger stone the extra weight is hidden in the depth. However, the video does suggest that the 2.05 looks noticeably whiter, so maybe depends on how color sensitive you/the recipient are.

Thanks for the feedback. Do either of you notice any haze around the perimeter of the table in the G photo? Or is that just relflections?

I’d say we’re fairly color sensitive. G wouldn’t be an issue but H could potentially. But if the 1.98 sparkles harder than the 2.05, I think that’s ultimately what we are going to see day to day and across the room. It would take a seriously close eye to differentiate the color.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Based on my own recent experience, if you're not sure about the H and think you're colour sensitive, I'd be wary - you may catch glimses of it....so it depends if this will annoy you. If you're ok with H, I think the 1.98 is nicer.

The plot on the GIA diamond does say 'additional clouds not shown', so it would be worth checking with the vendor....but very unlikely to be an issue given it's PS.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Hafrica13 I'd say reflections, since there is no trace of texture in the many other shots. The little glare makes the H look nicer.

I am smiling at the ridiculous precission of the 1.98 !

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I'm sweet on the 2.05 as I originally recommended. As already pointed out, G color for the same dollars and crosses the psychological barrier of being 2+ carats.

That said, no denying the 1.98 is a performer. Although the differences may be minimal, it's the better cut stone. And I think the video is a tad stronger as well.

You're in a great situation as there is no "loser" but just preference instead.

One thing I'd like to point out. I love the WF videos but let's be real, they are glamour videos to demonstrate the full capability of each stone.

IRL you aren't going to be walking around in that lighting conditions all the time, nor have that magnification. So while the video is important, we need to further assess two stones like these.

This is where WF is golden. They are honest to a fault and I think you need some human eye comparisons in various light conditions.

Call WF and ask them to pull both stones and analyze them closely for color, clarity and fire differences in an array of lighting conditions.

I'd even ask for a video of the ordeal. Or possibly a video call where you get first hand reactions and possibly some of the same viewing differences they detect.

As I mentioned before I almost bought my wife a WF PS with a 36/40.6 combo. They pulled and compared against several ACAs and seemed to prefer the PS and wondered why it wasn't ACA. I'm not saying all PS stones will garner such a response but it's plausible you have such a situation.

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
@Hafrica13 I'd say reflections, since there is no trace of texture in the many other shots. The little glare makes the H look nicer.

I am smiling at the ridiculous precission of the 1.98 !

Thanks for the input. And yeah, as an engineer, the precision of the 1.98 has me grinning too.

My thinking is that extra rays of sparkle (even 0.1%) can be seen regularly from afar while color is something you can only really see in the rare case you’re examining for color. That’s what I’d like to think at least. =)

Reactions: AV_

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
Call WF and ask them to pull both stones and analyze them closely for color, clarity and fire differences in an array of lighting conditions.

I'd even ask for a video of the ordeal. Or possibly a video call where you get first hand reactions and possibly some of the same viewing differences they detect.

As I mentioned before I almost bought my wife a WF PS with a 36/40.6 combo. They pulled and compared against several ACAs and seemed to prefer the PS and wondered why it wasn't ACA. I'm not saying all PS stones will garner such a response but it's plausible you have such a situation.

Great info. Thank you. I’ve been in process with them and we’re working on a custom solitaire setting. We have the 1.98 on hold but I’ll ask them about doing that. I feel like I’ve been asking a lot of them already w pics and color comparison but that would be really helpful. I agree that crossing the physiological 2ct threshold with better color would be the ticket, so long as it’s not at the expense of too fire performance. And that 1.98 seems to do really well!

Thanks again for the time and feedback.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt in real life you would notice the difference between the two but there is something about the 1.98 in the photos I like better.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough choice. I'm a G/H guy. the G is too deep for me at 62.6, so I'll go with the 1.98 ct.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The G VS2 is priced so well.
Top cut stone with WF service, QC/QA, and upgrade policy at virtual inventory pricing. It is a rare opportunity. A stone like this does not show up often.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a big color.difference. if color is important to you, get the G. For me, size is not as important as color, but color comes after cut. Therefore I'd pick the ACA. I'd rather have a little less diamond and know that I've got the best. Silly, but there it is. Either way is a great choice.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input. And yeah, as an engineer, the precision of the 1.98 has me grinning too.

My thinking is that extra rays of sparkle (even 0.1%) can be seen regularly from afar while color is something you can only really see in the rare case you’re examining for color. That’s what I’d like to think at least. =)

I actually feel the opposite of that sentiment!

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
I actually feel the opposite of that sentiment!

Thanks. I get that too! For as much as I think I know through my research, this is still my first diamond purchase.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I get that too! For as much as I think I know through my research, this is still my first diamond purchase.

... and I think sometimes it just has to do with the diamond ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not worried a bit about the G being 62.6 because the two stones face up almost exactly the same diameter! I love ACAs and ordinarily would choose one. However, in this case, the light return images on the G are excellent and you're getting a color grade higher and over the 2 ct mark. I'd choose that one for myself.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... as an engineer, the precision of the 1.98 has me grinning too.
My thinking is that extra rays of sparkle (even 0.1%) can be seen regularly from afar while color is something you can only really see in the rare case you’re examining for color.

I agree. Besides, the macro shot makes the two carat stones look as ten carat ones of the same color grades - not the same thing.

-

footnote: this 'flash from adistance' effect is all there is obviously beautiful to see from the simplest, oldest 'cut' models [not quite cut, but at most cleaved octahedral crystals - the point www & table 'cuts' www , www etc.] that look quite dissapointing close up - few ever happened to come close to critical angles [irredimably far from the cleavage directions; diamonds grow the wrong way ... ] for any semblance of brighteness; a sort fof minor magic, IMHO; rattling off obscure likes.

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
So here is a video of both. I may see a but more fire patterning coming from the 1.98, but I think the 2.05 keeps up enough to justify the color bump. Any second opinions? Thanks yall!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is a video of both. I may see a but more fire patterning coming from the 1.98, but I think the 2.05 keeps up enough to justify the color bump. Any second opinions? Thanks yall!

I absolutely 100% would pick the 2.05 G VS2 - what a stunning diamond at a fantastic price and paired with WFs generous upgrade policy. This is a rare find, seriously don’t overthink it.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The fire difference is negligible, the colour difference is stark.

Just spotted @flyingpig's response after I posted. Ditto.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.05 G VS2 all day long.

The color is detectable. The difference in fire is negligible. Both are rock solid performers. Too many things going for the G to not buy it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't tell a difference between them in terms of sparkle, tbh. But I can see the color difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results