shape
carat
color
clarity

1.8ct diamond - let me have your comments?

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
Dear all

After 3 months of searching and learning (and also enduring rising prices for diamonds - more than 10%), Sarah at GOG has finally find one which I think may be worthwhile for fellow pricescope'ers to help me examine.

To start, I should say that I'm in Australia but most of the diamond vendors here do not hold very high quality stock or have prices that are usually quick a bit more expensive. Having discovered pricescope forum about 3 months ago, I thought I might give internet purchase a try, after doing some extensive learning. I settled for WF or GOG as a vendor due to their very generous return and trade-up policies.

My budget is about $30k and I had a bit of hard time deciding between whether to go for a 1.7-1.8/F/VS1 or 2/G/VS1. The latter proved to be very very hard to come by (at least for an ideal/H&A cut), and I only saw one at WF 2 months ago which was snapped in record time. In any event, my partner's finger is about 4-4.5 ring size, and she has stated previously that she didn't want something that's too big. So I thought 1.7-1.8ct would be ideal.

Finally, the diamond! - it's a 1.8ct, F color, VS1 diamond. The stats and images are provided below. My original impression is that the diamond appeared to be quite well made. It did not make the "superior" symmetry grade of GOG because I think the hearts had a bit of split end and the "pointers" of the heart did not display *perfect* symmetry. So, what do you think?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8400/

Carat Weight: 1.80ct
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Premium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Width: 7.78mm
Length: 7.80mm
Depth: 4.82mm
Table Percentage: 57.39%
Depth Percentage: 61.95%
Crown ∠: 35.18°
Crown Depth: 15.06%
Pavilion ∠: 40.81°
Pavilion Depth: 43.13%

Pic1_1.jpg

Arrows_0.jpg

ASET_7.jpg

Hearts_2.jpg

Sarin_1.jpg

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
An alternative to consider is the 1.73ct/F/VS1 ACA diamond from WF:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2564410.htm

Depth % 61.5
Table % 56.2
Crown Angle 34.7
Star 53.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.1
Lower Girdle % 78.0
Measurements 7.69x7.74x4.74

download.jpg

download%20(1).jpg

download%20(2).jpg

This one displays perfect H&A. The price difference between the two diamonds is about $300 ($31550 vs $31180)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flip a coin? ;))

Is there a particular reason you want such a colorless and high clarity stone? You are paying a hefty price for those features. I also wonder if you are set on an H&A?

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
I guess I started off with a budget and then went from there.

G/VS1 is an alternatively (about 10-15% cheaper than F), but I think I don't want to go down to VS2 for psychological reasons.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to present a comparable, this is the same price. Great numbers, GIA Ex, good HCA score. Not an H&A. Photos is wonky but that is just the photo me thinks. Could request an idealscope.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1378804.asp

Couple others to think about for comparables if you are interested at all:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2632198.htm
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1380810.asp
ETA: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8377/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
RayEarth|1306552016|2932199 said:
I guess I started off with a budget and then went from there.

G/VS1 is an alternatively (about 10-15% cheaper than F), but I think I don't want to go down to VS2 for psychological reasons.

LOL. VS2 is still very high clarity to many of us. I consider it mind clean, but it is your perogative. Anyways, both your selection are beautiful. I posted a couple other to think about if you want.

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dreamer_D. The 1.79 VS2/G is interesting. I guess its $6000 between F/VS1 and G/VS2

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
RayEarth|1306552624|2932206 said:
Thanks Dreamer_D. The 1.79 VS2/G is interesting. I guess its $6000 between F/VS1 and G/VS2

I think for you that is the best comparable. Bigger than the comp and less money. There is a large per carat price increase at the F/G boundary, and the cost of clarity is greater for more colorless stones, so there is where the difference comes from. I would consider asking WF to compare the two stones for you. I wager if seen in person you would not be able to tell them apart. But in the end, any of the stones you are considering will look amazing. It is all up to your psychology and pocketbook at this point.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if F VS1 is in your budget, then either of the first two stones would be wonderful! Honestly, I would prefer less than 2 cts. myself, so I would also go to a higher color and clarity if I were lucky enough to have that budget! In fact, F VS1 is probably exactly what I'd choose if I had to spend that amount on one diamond. I do have a VS1 stone and am very glad!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1306558351|2932261 said:
I think if F VS1 is in your budget, then either of the first two stones would be wonderful! Honestly, I would prefer less than 2 cts. myself, so I would also go to a higher color and clarity if I were lucky enough to have that budget! In fact, F VS1 is probably exactly what I'd choose if I had to spend that amount on one diamond. I do have a VS1 stone and am very glad!

I guess my point is you don't *have* to spend the whole budget. Would you spend the whole amount for an F VS1 or would you be happy with a G VS1 or VS2 to save $5000 or more? Purely academic, the OP can of course do what he chooses!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1306562281|2932271 said:
diamondseeker2006|1306558351|2932261 said:

I guess my point is you don't *have* to spend the whole budget. Would you spend the whole amount for an F VS1 or would you be happy with a G VS1 or VS2 to save $5000 or more? Purely academic, the OP can of course do what he chooses!

Yeah, I know what you mean. It would matter to me because that would be a LOT of money for me to spend. But someone needs to buy the D-E-F high clarity stones, and I just figured if he wants to spend $30k on a diamond and she doesn't want one too large, then F VS1 under 2 cts. would be fabulous! If I had the extra money (as in winning the lottery or something ;)) ), I'd go for F VS1. Oddly, I don't really have a desire for D-E because I think F looks extremely colorless to me! And I can't see VS1 inclusions with a loupe, so that is mindclean enough for me! :bigsmile: All my stones are G-H and VS1 or VS2 because that is what works with my budget and size preferences. But there are people on both sides of that who choose lower color/clarity to get more size and those who choose higher color/clarity just because they can afford it! I'd never recommend someone spend that much unless they simply have the extra money. So you are of course right that he should do what works for his preferences and budget!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results