shape
carat
color
clarity

1.89 ct light yellow oval in vintage setting from Ouros Jewels

OECfan

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

First time posting in MMD forum... I wanted to share my piece from Ouros Jewels.

This is supposedly a 1.89 ct M VS oval. It's 8.83 x 7.1 x 4.05 so a bit shallower, but it's not a spready stone because the crown is taller (I think?)
The cut was sold as an "old mine" (which I find some vendors tend to use interchangeably with "antique") oval, there is a tiny little culet, but the cut is quite confusing to me.
I feel that it's a bit warmer than an M, has slight brown undertones, and I can see some interesting inclusions under a loupe. The diamond isn't certed so I can't verify.

It's definitely not the best performing oval in terms of brilliance, but has crazy chunky fire and good scintillation, which I love in old cut stones--whatever cut this is :lol:

Either way... this was straight out of their inventory and not custom cut so I got it for a pretty killer price. I also had Ouros make the setting for me, which is inspired by a Stuller setting.

Pretty happy with how this turned out, especially since it ended up being less than some of my moissanite rings!

I wish Ouros would post more old cuts - I see some of their current inventory are cut wayyyyy shallow and I'm hesitant to get them to custom cut for me.

VaqSl7t.jpeg IEb4DAc.jpeg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that is so pretty! Enjoy :)

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I love this! I have a new love for Ovals. The setting you chose is beautiful!

OECfan

Rough_Rock
I love this! I have a new love for Ovals. The setting you chose is beautiful!

Thank you! Yes, I have a newfound appreciation for ovals... I have some smaller oval diamonds but they have the bow tie which doesn’t look great in a stone that size. I was quite amazed this one really doesn’t have it and the difference it makes!

Blingloverbyday

Shiny_Rock
Congrats @OECfan, this ring is stunning and hope you enjoy it for many years! :kiss2: I will need to check out this vendor!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
wow! that video shows the absolute sparkle! this is really cool and unlike anything else I've seen from Ouros. Thanks for sharing! it's gorgeous

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
That is absolutely gorgeous and so unique, it looks so expensive. I love the light yellow, it really sets it apart.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I love the setting you chose--perfect for the stone and so much finger coverage.

OECfan

Rough_Rock
wow! that video shows the absolute sparkle! this is really cool and unlike anything else I've seen from Ouros. Thanks for sharing! it's gorgeous
The thing I do like about working with Vijay is that he’ll make pretty much anything happen... this oval seems to be a one-time deal (he called it a “masterpiece” he can’t replicate lol) but it seems like he’s willing to cut anything you want.

I am already working with him on another ring... this time an Art Deco Navette-type ring, a first for me!

OECfan

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! I love the setting you chose--perfect for the stone and so much finger coverage.

Thank you! I was worried it would be TOO big based on dimensions but it turned out great! Initially the top and bottom scrolls were more voluminous but I asked for those to be cut down a little.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and ring! I think you got a bargain. I have to agree that Vijay isn't cutting old cuts traditionally with some very shallow crowns on his OECs. I'm still years away from a big OEC purchase so I'm hoping that with time, he'll do more traditional old cuts and get those crowns tall. Enjoy this beauty!

OECfan

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone and ring! I think you got a bargain. I have to agree that Vijay isn't cutting old cuts traditionally with some very shallow crowns on his OECs. I'm still years away from a big OEC purchase so I'm hoping that with time, he'll do more traditional old cuts and get those crowns tall. Enjoy this beauty!
I was *this close* to asking him cut a 2.5 ct OEC for me. I already had the quote but was worried he would cut it too shallow and I’d be stuck with a stone I didn’t love and can’t get a recut of. I ended up finding a natural 2.1ct that I love, but also hope 3 ctw OEC lab diamond earrings are in my future!!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@OECfan That's pretty much what I'm afraid of at this stage. My theory is that Vijay cuts for visual weight (so spready stones) so new customers do feel that his stones are value for money (and they are), but with OECs in particular, their charm is in their height. I reckon he probably can cut them to order and do a great job (India has a fair few cutters lol) but I'm waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig! LOL I do love Rhino's stones though so at this stage, I will likely get an OEC from him even if more expensive.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I really, really, dig this ring. I am hoping that Ouros begins cutting more antiques to perfect those particular cutting styles and gets the perfect wonky flavor; because I might have money someday! I might!
I want an OMC and an OEC and an moval and a...

OECfan

Rough_Rock
@OECfan That's pretty much what I'm afraid of at this stage. My theory is that Vijay cuts for visual weight (so spready stones) so new customers do feel that his stones are value for money (and they are), but with OECs in particular, their charm is in their height. I reckon he probably can cut them to order and do a great job (India has a fair few cutters lol) but I'm waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig! LOL I do love Rhino's stones though so at this stage, I will likely get an OEC from him even if more expensive.
When I enter my oval’s dimensions and a cushion (which I just bought yesterday) from Vijay into diamdb, they are actually considered “inadequate”! Both of these are small face up and the oval is shallow, which I can only speculate means the crown is taller. But that’s weird because his OEC’s are not very tall-crowned at all, so I’m not really sure what’s going on.
This goes back to why I’d like to see his stones first vs. Custom order - if it looks good in pics and videos then it’s all good! I’m not going to be super picky about getting an ideal cut for lab diamonds in fun jewelry.
He does have an old mine-like cut (don’t remember if he called it antique cushion) but is wayyyyy shallow and looks very window-y.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
When I enter my oval’s dimensions and a cushion (which I just bought yesterday) from Vijay into diamdb, they are actually considered “inadequate”!

Looking at the videos though, I think she's pretty. Not a big performer but I'd be happy to have her dance on my finger :D Yeah... I wouldn't hesitate ordering a dress ring or tennis bracelet from Vijay but I'd like to see more improvements on cut before I commit to a 2+ carat stone.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Just getting into ovals myself and have a true love for anything antique. This is gorgeous, and looks stunning on you!!! Enjoy it!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results