shape
carat
color
clarity

1.83 ct GIA diamond. Good deal?

rook02

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a good deal on a round cut diamond 1.7 - 2.2 ct. I want something eye clean.

Found this:

GIA
1.83 ct
Round
SI2
J
7.81x7.87x4.87
Excellent cut
Faint fluorescence

$7,900

Is this a good deal? Does anyone know of any better deals?

I can find better deals with EGL certified diamonds, but have heard/read a lot of bad/worrisome things about that, is it worth looking at EGL diamonds?

Thanks

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I would only consider GIA or AGS. They are the most consistent labs in the world. The problem with EGL is that they are known to be inconsistent and therefore it's impossible to compare one to the other or to one with a report from a different lab all together to determine value of the stone and if you are getting a fair price. Sometimes EGL is off by 2 grades, sometimes they are off by 6 or more, it's impossible for you to know what you are really purchasing. If I were you I would do a PS search and read some of the threads that discuss EGL lab reports. I would NOT purchase EGL under any circumstances without making the sale contingent upon an independent appraisal. By independent I mean by an appraiser that does not sell jewelry and has no interest in where or what stone you purchase.

can you post the report for the GIA stone you are considering? We really can't tell you much based on the information that you provided.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Christina. Look for only GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal cut. I would also advise you to only buy from a vendor who has photos of the stone and preferably idealscope images. Many SI2's are not going to be eyeclean, and that may well be reflected in that price.

You'd have to ask if these are eyeclean and ask for idealscope images.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1518050.asp ($8304 with wire/pricescope discounts)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1522655.asp ($8422 " ")

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1396107.asp ($8766 " ")

rook02

Rough_Rock
So I don't know if there was any confusion with my original post, but I agree I am planning on GIA. What do you think of the original diamond I had posted about? Good deal or can I find something better?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just did a quick search with your parameters in the PS diamond search (see top of page) and no diamonds came up with those parameters. EGL diamonds came up via Abazias in the $5K - $6600K range. PS recommends GIA/AGS for MRB diamonds. EGL is not one of the favoured labs for MRB due to their softness on grading colour and clarity.

It may not be about the financial "DEAL" as much as getting the diamond quality. Did you like any of the JA diamonds that DS posted for you?

rook02

Rough_Rock
The diamond I am looking at is not through pricescope.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's fine if its not thru PS, but just wondering if you liked any of the alternate options suggested. Perhaps having a look at those and comparing the stats between them would help you feel better (or decide to look further) regarding your own diamond. Have you seen this one you are posting about? JA does provide photos as well, so while its not quite the same as real life, you'll get a good loupe view of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results