shape
carat
color
clarity

1.60 RB Good Proportions? Any Red Flags?

jddibley

Rough_Rock
I reserved this 1.60 RB SI1 with I color and medium fluorescence, but I was hoping to get some second opinions from you all. The gemologist says this stone is eye clean with very nice fire and brilliance. The proportions seem good to me, but I'd love to know if there are any red flag I'm missing. Thanks!

Shape Round
Weight 1.6 Ct.
Grading Lab GIA
Cut Score 93.7
Cut Quality Excellent
Clarity SI1
Color I
Fluorescence Medium Blue
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Laser Inscribed No
Size 7.56 x 7.54 x 4.63 mm
Ratio 1.003
Depth 61.3%
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Table 56.0%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Crown Height 15.0%
Crown Angle 34.5°
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
gia_5.jpg

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Specs look good though I'm wondering if the VG for symmetry might underlie some cutting irregularities that could lead to diminished light performance.

jddibley

Rough_Rock
Here are the Idealscope, ASET, and Diamond Image. The gemologist says that this Diamond is eye clean, should I be concerned with the dark cloud of inclusions in that regard?
1_427.jpg 1_428.jpg 1_429.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jddibley|1444834646|3938170 said:
I reserved this 1.60 RB SI1 with I color and medium fluorescence, but I was hoping to get some second opinions from you all. The gemologist says this stone is eye clean with very nice fire and brilliance. The proportions seem good to me, but I'd love to know if there are any red flag I'm missing. Thanks!

Shape Round
Weight 1.6 Ct.
Grading Lab GIA
Cut Score 93.7
Cut Quality Excellent
Clarity SI1
Color I
Fluorescence Medium Blue
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Laser Inscribed No
Size 7.56 x 7.54 x 4.63 mm
Ratio 1.003
Depth 61.3%
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Table 56.0%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Crown Height 15.0%
Crown Angle 34.5°
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
gia_5.jpg
As a trade member I cannot recommend or criticize another vendor's stone. But I can address your question about "red flags" by saying that it depends on your goals. Polish and symmetry faults can result in diminished performance, but at the very good level any dropoff it is not likely something you will notice. Having said that, GIA Triple Ex is becoming the baseline standard for well cut diamonds and as such you might want to compare this against other offerings in the Triple Ex realm. The ability to trade or sell in the future will be enhanced by having a Triple Ex report, if that is a consideration for you.

Fluourescence is another issue that you might want to explore in detail if you have not already. While medium blue will not affect the appearance in real world viewing, there are some other pros and cons to consider. Medium blue pared with I color is generally thought of to be neutral to beneficial by most commentators, but you should decide for yourself. You can get an overview of the issues here: http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
So, as I thought there is some light performance loss but it's somewhat minor. As for the inclusions they could be hidden by a prong so you won't notice it when viewing it from a top down view. Now whether they are reflected through the stone when viewing from the pavilion is a different story. It may not be eye clean from this view and unless you halo or bezel it, it could be noticeable.

jddibley

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input regarding the future value of the diamond with VG polish and symmetry, but given that their isn't a highly decipherable difference between EX and VG, I think it may be worth it for a stone with these proportions. Solgen, do you think this diamond is a decent value at $8,150?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a pretty good price given the reflector images. I'd just be cautious of how it looks when viewed from the side. I looked at similar stones with a carbon inclusion near the girdle. While it could be hidden with a prong in the face up view when viewed from the side it reflected through the pav and instead on just one carbon inclusion there were 8.

Depending on the vendor I guess you could always order it and return it should the inclusions be too much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results