shape
carat
color
clarity

1.6 ct vs 1.8ct

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
My gf is about a 4.25 ring size with slightly longer, slender fingers. She was trying on things from 1.5-2 and seemed to think that she’d like something a little more than 1.5 but not as much as a 2. I think this pic is a 1.5 but honestly I’m not sure. I’m also not sure if the shape of the diamond will make it look bigger or smaller.

I’m getting a decagon from Jannpaul, and it’s a decent amount more to increase from 1.6 to 1.8 but if the pros here truly believe a 1.8 would look more proportional or better then I’d do it! Thank you

IMG_3021.jpeg

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s a noticeable difference when the diamonds are compared side by side. I don’t think the issue is so much about looking proportional, as either will look nice, but perhaps more about budget and desire.

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
It’s a noticeable difference when the diamonds are compared side by side. I don’t think the issue is so much about looking proportional, as either will look nice, but perhaps more about budget and desire.

Thank you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - either would be beautiful but it depends on what size she would prefer or be comfortable wearing. Of course, budget always comes into play as well. Not sure what color or clarity you are thinking about, but those things can be adjusted as well if size is the most important part of the diamond to either of you.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess the main thing is what she’s comfortable wearing, assuming you have the budget to buy it. The diamond in the picture looks pretty sizeable on her finger, though, any bigger might be too much?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see a relative side-by-side of rounds on a size 4.25 using this tool. Might help some.

Things to take into consideration...
- does a 1.6/1.8 decagon face up about the same as a 1.6/1.8 round
- Round depths are usually in the 60-62.3%...do decagons fall in the same range (related to the first comment)
- We tend to say go bigger because we get used to a certain size on our finger very quickly (but there is the trade-off with cost)
- What is the standard size in your neck of the woods? Most people wear around 1 carat or more like 2 carats?
- Your GF has fairly small fingers so smaller sizes give a "bigger" look on her and as @Dreamer_D said, most people
wont notice the size difference unless side-by-side (which probably wont happen).
- just curious if JP has any kind of trade-up program? I dont think its ever been brought up so I dont know. I'm curious
myself...if they do, it may take the pressure off because you'll be able to trade it in in the future (say 5 or 10 years) and
go bigger. Or, this may be her forever ring...and no trade up is ever planned (so nothing to consider here).

Anyway, just a few things to think about.

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
You can see a relative side-by-side of rounds on a size 4.25 using this tool. Might help some.

Things to take into consideration...
- does a 1.6/1.8 decagon face up about the same as a 1.6/1.8 round
- Round depths are usually in the 60-62.3%...do decagons fall in the same range (related to the first comment)
- We tend to say go bigger because we get used to a certain size on our finger very quickly (but there is the trade-off with cost)
- What is the standard size in your neck of the woods? Most people wear around 1 carat or more like 2 carats?
- Your GF has fairly small fingers so smaller sizes give a "bigger" look on her and as @Dreamer_D said, most people
wont notice the size difference unless side-by-side (which probably wont happen).
- just curious if JP has any kind of trade-up program? I dont think its ever been brought up so I dont know. I'm curious
myself...if they do, it may take the pressure off because you'll be able to trade it in in the future (say 5 or 10 years) and
go bigger. Or, this may be her forever ring...and no trade up is ever planned (so nothing to consider here).

Anyway, just a few things to think about.

Thank you! I’m gonna go back to a store today just to confirm things but I appreciate what you said. I know this is mostly splitting hairs

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Their decagon faces up pretty similar to a 57 facet round, in terms of area, from what I’ve seen. I think either option is going to look great and both will definitely look big given her ring size.

Honestly, if the 1.6 ct doesn’t satisfy her in terms of size I’d be surprised if 1.8 ct does. You can tell the difference if you compare them side by side, but there’s only a 8% difference in surface area.

Regardless of your choice, it’ll be a lovely diamond!

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Their decagon faces up pretty similar to a 57 facet round, in terms of area, from what I’ve seen. I think either option is going to look great and both will definitely look big given her ring size.

Honestly, if the 1.6 ct doesn’t satisfy her in terms of size I’d be surprised if 1.8 ct does. You can tell the difference if you compare them side by side, but there’s only a 8% difference in surface area.

Regardless of your choice, it’ll be a lovely diamond!
Here’s a 1.5ct vs a 2ct for reference!
IMG_3078.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her fingers are slim but long so she can certainly carry off the two carat. Just not sure if the budget will stretch that far? The 1.5 looks nice too - what did she think about the two carat?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Both look great! Add some people say, you only feel the pinch once. But either 1.6 or 1.8 will look lovely.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
You'll need to go 2.2+
:lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
I know you said you were getting a decagon from Jann Paul, but how does this two carat super ideal cut diamond compare in price? Bear in mind that this is an E color, VS1.

Both look great! Add some people say, you only feel the pinch once. But either 1.6 or 1.8 will look lovely.

Yeah honestly I really don’t care one way or the other, I think she wants something in between the 1.5 and 2 hence why I’m looking at 1.6 vs 1.8. If I had to guess she’d probably prefer the sound of the 1.8 but I think if she didn’t know any better she’d like both equally. I may go bigger just to be safe lol

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Her fingers are slim but long so she can certainly carry off the two carat. Just not sure if the budget will stretch that far? The 1.5 looks nice too - what did she think about the two carat?
She liked both of these, I think she felt the 1.5 was a little small and the 2 was a little big. That’s why I’m between the 1.6 and 1.8 lol

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The liked both of these, I think she felt the 1.5 was a little small and the 2 was a little big. That’s why I’m between the 1.6 and 1.8 lol

Well. 1.75 is the middle of those two - the final decision is up to you I guess. Keep us posted!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does she want a specialty cut like this? It’s a big price hike.

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Yeah I don’t mind spending for it lol

chung ka ming

Rough_Rock
Never get a reply from jannpaul via email/whastapp I wonder how you in touch with them

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
They’ll fairly busy, they’re 13 hours ahead of the US, and the response time also depends on the sales associate from my experience. You may need to follow up if it’s been more than a few days.

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all who helped! I decided to get the 1.8 decagon on the 90-10 platinum iridium solitaire design I picked out and also bought a 1.3ct blue decagon 90-10 platinum pendant

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all who helped! I decided to get the 1.8 decagon on the 90-10 platinum iridium solitaire design I picked out and also bought a 1.3ct blue decagon 90-10 platinum pendant

I'm very excited for you and envious of the blue decagon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results