shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5ct Diamond -- Am I worried over nothing?

juno3093

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I've been reading up on all the things one needs to consider in getting that perfect diamond (for that perfect someone), and I think I found a good one within my budget. I'm worried that I'm overlooking something big. I need some knowledgeable opinion on a diamond I just picked out. Here are the specs on the diamond:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06663730

Cost: 14,027
Carat: 1.57
Shape: Round
Cut: Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
L/W Ratio: 1.01
Depth %: 58.4%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Cutlet: 0
Flourescence: Strong
Measurements: 7.61 x 7.57 x 4.51 mm
HCA Score: 1.0

Any input and thoughts would be appreciated! One of the things that worries me is the flourescence, but it seems to be a matter of opinion type of thing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't get to the page with the grading report. Is it graded Ideal cut by AGS? Can you link the grading report or give us the report number at least.

I am assuming the price is due to strong fluorescence which doesn't bother me as long as the fl. doesn't have any negative effect. However, I'd like to see the angles on this stone. It is probably not a diamond I would choose based on the cut unless I could see images of the stone AND had light return images such as idealscope or ASET.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
All it does is tell me it's unavailable.
What are the crown and pavilion angles. I have a feeling those are going to be problematic given its a shallow 60/60 style stone. I do see a big red flag there.

HCA is a rejection tool. You realize that right? It's not a selection tool. All a score under 2 means is the angles are complimentary so"investigate further." That means the specs still matter and should be in a certain range.

As for the fluorescence, you have to ask them to pull it and tell you if it makes the stone hazy at all.

Do you mind if I ask why you are even considering a VVS stone?

If you dropped to eyeclean VS2 you could get a better proportioned diamond.

That one is so cheap because it's a 60/60 with Strong Flu

juno3093

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response! Here is the GIA Report.

gia_23.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angles aren't bad. It might be acceptable. I just usually don't recommend buying a diamond blind unless the numbers are within very tight parameters. But you could order it and have an independent appraiser evaluate it for you.

juno3093

Rough_Rock
Sorry! I mistyped the depth in the initial post. It is a 59.4% depth, not a 58.4%.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results