shape
carat
color
clarity

1.58 E VS2 Price Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

guy57

Rough_Rock
I'm in the process of buying a diamond and came across this: GIA cert
round brilliant cut
E color
VS2 clarity (light feathers on the peripheral)
1.58ct
56% table
61.8% depth
35.8 degrees crown angle
40.8 degrees pavillon angle
very good symmetry and polish I used the HCA and got 0.7, which is in the range of a fiery ideal cut. Is this stone worth $14,000? Thanks for your help in advance.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Guy57,Based on the data you posted, price looks quite reasonable even for the Internet. It should be very nice diamond.Did you find it in the web or brick and mortar store?

guy57

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. I found it in a real store, referred to by a friend.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Mounted diamond cannot be analyzed as accurately as the loose one because some parts will be hidden and metal will affect the color.Appraisal can be made for the mounted and loose stones of course.Off to gym for a while
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Then it should be a great deal. The price is close to the Internet lowest prices. Congrads!Just make sure to check the stone with an independent expert.

guy57

Rough_Rock
I actually posted the pavillon angle wrong, it should be 40.4 degrees according to the sarin report. The ratings are ex-ex-ex-vg. Total score is 0.9.But if I use 40.8 degress, the ratings go to gd-gd-gd-vg. Total score is then 3.9.It's a little scary how much 0.4 degrees can change. Can any experts shed some light on this? It looks to me like the numbers in the sarin report are averages, so it's likely the stone has some pavillon angles at 40.4 degrees and some at 40.8 degrees. BTW, I look at the stone in real life and it looked good (but I'm a newbie, so what do I know?).

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Guy57,You can take the stone to independent expert to run independent Sarin measurements. It will not cost you much. David Atlas (Oldminer) said he provides this service for $10 only
smile.gif
You could tell your dealer that you concern about steep crown and would like to repeat measurements.However, it seems you are getting rather good deal and I'd not split hairs too much.Did you have a chance to look at super ideal/symmetrical diamonds like Hearts and Arrows with Tolkowski proportions and compare them with this one?Then you will be able to tell whether you can see any difference.

guy57

Rough_Rock
I am buying the stone from another state, however, I can return it within 30 days. Should I get it as a free-standing stone, take it to an appraiser, then send it back to get re-mounted? The extra $200 in insured shipping is pretty costly.I do think I'm getting a great deal. There's just this part of me that wants to make doubly sure (and that's costing me sleep too).

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Well, actually 0.4 degree is not so little. For example, to be AGS 0 class (quite broad), diamond should have pavilion angle within 40.16° - 41.25°.Pavilion angle is the most critical because light rays should be reflected twice from pavilion facets in order to exit back from the table or crown.It is very much depends on particular combination of crown and pavilion angles. The system is not linear and some times 0.1° can change the score dramatically while other C&P combinations produce more steady result.In your case, when the crown is a bit steep, decreasing of pavilion should correct the combination of the angles.If you are interested to learn more about this stuff, take a look at these links:
www.cutstudy.com/cut/ www.cutstudy.com/cut/english/document4_1.htm www.diamond-cut.com Yes you are right, due to the measurement errors and other factors (symmetry, specific facets, etc) HCA result should be considered as a preliminary filter. Once you have HCA score below 2, you have very good chance getting great diamond (less than 3% of all diamonds would score < 2). After that you have to take other factors into considerations.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean
smile.gif
But I'm afraid you are the only one who should make the decision.Usually it is recommended to bring the diamond to independent appraiser as a prudent measure. You should do it anyway if you want to insure the diamond. However you might trust the vendor so it's completely up to you

guy57

Rough_Rock
Can I only get the diamond appraised as a free-standing stone, or does it matter if it's mounted?I definitely plan to bring it with me to local jewelers and compare, when I get it.Thanks!

guy57

Rough_Rock
leonid,Thanks for the very detailed explanation. Do you have any suggestions as to what else I can do to increase the chance that the stone matches up closer to the one scoring 0.9 and not the one scoring 3.9?If I managed to get the variances from the dealer, how should I use those numbers with the HCA?Thanks again! This is a great discussion board that helps keep people like me sane, being able to ask all these questions that normally I can't get answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results