shape
carat
color
clarity

1.50 carats vs. 1.40

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
I am wondering if on a round cut the size difference between a 1.50 carat and 1.40 carat diamond would be noticable? Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 9:32:06 PM
Author: JulieN
Not really.
JulieN, you musn''t qualify your answers so.

How about...all other things being equal?

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
The 1.40 carat is E color, Vs2. The other is 1.52 carat F color, SI1. Both are Ideal cut with VG polish and Excellent symmetry. The prices are about the same. Which one would you choose?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have the other specs? measurments, depth % etc.?

I agree all things being equal you probably aren't going to be able to see a big difference.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 9:42:04 PM
Author: Regular Guy

How about...all other things being equal?

All other things can''t be equal if the weights are different.

Sorry Ira, couldn''t resist...
25.gif

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
I do have that infor. The 1.40 Depth 62 Table 57. Measurement 7.12 x 7.17 x 4.43
The 1.52 Depth 62 Table 56 measurement 7.38 x 7.43 x 4. 59
Thanks

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker...you don''t have enough info from my point of view. See your earlier thread...

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
What information are you refering to?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Well...my post in the other thread. You would like to be able to populate the fields, for example, at the upper right on this board, where it says: Tools...and then "Cut advisor." In any case...you'd like to have also crown & pavilion angles. If it's an older certificate, without that info, it could be available through other means. I wouldn't make a significant purchase, such as you're planning, without that info.

A majority here are likely to agree. Did you read that other thread...edited to add...nevermind...that is an odd little thread, where, in that particular thread..most people really are just talking about table sizes.

But...do read the tutorial. It's well covered. You want more data than table & depth, for sure.

niku414

Rough_Rock
based on the specs you gave -- i would pick the 1.5 ct F SI1 :)

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 9:30:23 PM
Author:DiamondSeeker7
I am wondering if on a round cut the size difference between a 1.50 carat and 1.40 carat diamond would be noticable? Thanks!

Being both Ideal cut (ie AGS Ideal), there won''t be much difference in optical spread (how brighter things appear bigger) or physical spread (is it fat or tall for its weight), you''re probably looking at around 0.2mm (1/128") difference in diameter. You won''t see it.

A 1.52 carat stone will attract a premium for simply reaching the popular 1.5 carat mark, that 1.4 carat stone (which are hard to find) should be relatively good value.

Stebbo

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
The prices of the stones are actually within $100 of each other. Which one would you consider to be the better value?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked to see if the SI1 is eye clean? Without knowing that, I would go for the E VS2.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
F SI1 is a better value than E VS2.

1.4 is a better value than 1.5

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
But what would be the better value- the 1.40 that is E VS2 or the 1.50 that is F SI1. I am still waiting to find out if the SI is eye-clean.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 10:43:02 PM
Author: DiamondSeeker7
But what would be the better value- the 1.40 that is E VS2 or the 1.50 that is F SI1. I am still waiting to find out if the SI is eye-clean.

It depends how you rate value.

If you value a better spec'd diamond, even if it can only be appreciated on paper or with instrumentation, the E/VS2 is better value.

If you value knowing you have a 1.5 carat diamond, not a 1.4, even if the size difference won't be noticed, the 1.5 is better value.

SI1 will most probably be eye clean. Can't you find a 1.4 F/SI1, that's easy!

Stebbo

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
I think value isnt the word I am looking for, I should reword and say quality.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 10:00:36 PM
The 1.40 carat is E color, Vs2. The other is 1.52 carat F color, SI1. Both are Ideal cut with VG polish and Excellent symmetry. The prices are about the same. Which one would you choose?
Ummm.....I'll bet you a dollar that only one is conventionally ideal...and that only one will actually be more favorably cut, and that that one would be more attractive....that you are likely to want to make the decision based on cut information that you're not including. Currently, you're only going on the vendor's statement that they're ideal...or is the statement that they're ideal premised on knowing only the table & depth (most likely). Do you even know that they have certificates from the same agency? Or...that they have certs at all...you haven't said?

Diamonds can be fabulous, of course, without certs. Quality tends to be consistent with the cert. All things being equal.

With best wishes...

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
They are both GIA certified as being premium cut

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
What are the crown and pavilion angles?

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 11:08:02 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Ummm.....I''ll bet you a dollar that only one is conventionally ideal...and that only one will actually be more favorably cut, and that that one would be more attractive....that you are likely to want to make the decision based on cut information that you''re not including. Currently, you''re only going on the vendor''s statement that they''re ideal...or is the statement that they''re ideal premised on knowing only the table & depth (most likely). Do you even know that they have certificates from the same agency? Or...that they have certs at all...you haven''t said?

Diamondseeker, like Ira mentions, it is appearing that we''re not talking about AGS Ideals here from the ''mall'' specs you''ve presented so far, which means one or both could be dogs as far as light performance goes.

Get the light performance sorted out first, then you can consider sizes, colors and clarities.

Stebbo

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 11:12:46 PM
They are both GIA certified as being premium cut

The plot thickens...

GIA don''t have ''premium cuts'', nor ''Ideal''.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker, premium is a cut grade that is vendor speak...and actually...usually engaged only when they want to communicate to you that the diamond is less than ideal. For example...James Allen, a vendor on this site, may also ignore certificate categories, and ranks all diamonds as a) ideal, b) premium, c) ...I'm not sure.

See here GIA's page. Their categories are: a) excellent, b) very good, c) good, d)...etc...

(eta...btw...GIA as a certficate is pretty good news...)...

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
Very interesting stuff. I requested a copy of the GIA reports for those diamonds. Should all that information be included on them? Then after I get those I will really need everyones help!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Older certs simply won't include crown & pavilion data. Newer ones will. Unless your vendor either has the newer ones, or is willing to get you that info by other means, which will take some effort....you can do better with your money by finding diamonds with this info.

The tutorial will help a lot. The HCA can be used readily for free, and although it's not necessary, and there are other ways to bring some kind of rigor to this evaluation (that's why you're here, right?).....It's your money.

Best wishes,

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 11:32:22 PM
Very interesting stuff. I requested a copy of the GIA reports for those diamonds. Should all that information be included on them? Then after I get those I will really need everyones help!

Just ask them if they have the GIA report #''s, then you can go to GIA''s Report Check to see an online representation of the report, to save waiting on what could be average stones.

Stebbo

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
By the way the vendor I am dealing with is Engagement Ring Direct, if that helps at all. Also, I live close by so I will go see the diamond before purchase. Thanks so much!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
They do have a good reputation here...but I believe either carry, or make available diamonds with widely ranging quality. If you''re willing to specify for them the definition of cut quality you''re seeking, they can meet that.

Is an HCA of 0 - 2 sufficient...it''s pretty broad? If GIA...and it were me...I''d specify a cut rating of at least excellent, tell him you''ll screen with the HCA...and then...well...start there, anyway. Maybe that''s enough....of course...presuming you also like it. Very important!

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 11:42:11 PM
By the way the vendor I am dealing with is Engagement Ring Direct, if that helps at all. Also, I live close by so I will go see the diamond before purchase. Thanks so much!

Unfortunately the 1.4 stone has an incorrect GIA report # on their site, and the 1.52 (or 1.50?) doesn''t seem to be on there. Can''t really help much until you get the correct report #''s.

Stebbo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results