shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 ct Tanzanian violet spinel cushion in LOGR baguette mount

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I finally got my spinel set if anyone remembers my original thread. I have an affinity for violet spinels, and I think this one is very tanzanite like.

Here it is in indirect sunlight pouring into my house.

TLvioletspinelset1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is with another violet 2.9 ct spinel I just purchased.

TLvioletspinelstogether.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one has my head shadow on it, but I love all the sparks of light that come from it. The LOGR is a bit on the dainty side for me, but the diamonds are very clean and white, and I think it allows the spinel to be the center stage. I thought a halo might overpower the stone.

TLvioletspinelset2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Direct sun - look at that sparkle!! The stone goes more purple in incandescent light.

TLvioletspinelset3.JPG

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!! That violet color is stunning! I love your collection :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I remember that one, still nice and sparkly...you''ve done good
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a cuprian violet tourmaline with similar coloration to the new spinels, and I thought this was a cool shot.

The tourmaline is the largest stone in the picture.

TLvioletspinelandtourm.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more with my orchid spinel, which has some silk in it. I don't think this gem, the orchid spinel, is very photgenic in diffused white light where I'm taking the pics. It looks better in indirect sunlight, but the violet spinel is more saturated as you can see, and has better luster.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooops, forgot pic.

TLorchidandlavender.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the new 2.9 ct spinel (it's more like a purple/blue) with two lavender spinels of much greyer saturation. I thought this was a pretty cool shot, and I think the really bring out the color of the larger one more. This new spinel goes more purple in incandescent light. Thanks for looking!!
35.gif

TLthreevioletspinels.JPG

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
No halo??? In any of the pics? Has someone has stolen TL''s PS identity?
9.gif

The violet spinel looks great in that setting -- and the color is terrific.
36.gif
The photo of the two spinels with the purple tourmaline is also great. Always love your photos, particularly those showing different types of gemstones and rings side by side. I have a violet/periwinkle spinel from gemrite and this may be just the inspiration needed to join the LOGR baguette club
2.gif
Did you upgrade the stones in the ring or ask for any customization?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty - I have a real thing for violet and purple gemstones.
30.gif

Have you thought of setting the tourmaline in the same setting? I''m setting a large square Aqua in one as we speak and the setting looks more substantial because the baguettes (which are fairly short) go nearer to the edge of the finger (if that makes sense).

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
So pretty, I love it with the simple lines of the baguettes!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely combo! I really like the baguette setting with the stone.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thats really lovely TL!
30.gif

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 1:51:35 PM
Author: tsavvy
No halo??? In any of the pics? Has someone has stolen TL's PS identity?
9.gif

The violet spinel looks great in that setting -- and the color is terrific.
36.gif
The photo of the two spinels with the purple tourmaline is also great. Always love your photos, particularly those showing different types of gemstones and rings side by side. I have a violet/periwinkle spinel from gemrite and this may be just the inspiration needed to join the LOGR baguette club
2.gif
Did you upgrade the stones in the ring or ask for any customization?
Thank you Tsavvy!

I guess someone has stolen my identity, LOL!

The ring from LOGR is an oval, so I customized it for a cushion with my stone's dimensions. I think he'll do this ring for just about any shape and size. The diamonds with this ring are already advertised as VS, so no diamond upgrading was required.

ETA: LaurenThePartier and BrownEyedGirl also have this same setting for various shapes and size stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 1:58:41 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Very pretty - I have a real thing for violet and purple gemstones.
30.gif

Have you thought of setting the tourmaline in the same setting? I'm setting a large square Aqua in one as we speak and the setting looks more substantial because the baguettes (which are fairly short) go nearer to the edge of the finger (if that makes sense).
Thank you LD!!

I actually bought a white gold LOGR for the tourmaline a long time ago. It's not a halo, and it has a few round diamonds on each side, but for some reason, I'm not loving the tourmaline in white gold. I think the finer luster and higher RI of the spinels makes them more advantageous to white gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Burberrygirl, Ma Rae, Bella, SCN and Arcadian!!
1.gif

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Great ring TL. That setting is so sleek.
1.gif

m00sie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Love, love, love the colour :) that is gorgeous. The setting is pretty too, nice and simplistic.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous spinel! I love tanzanites, regardless if they are blue, violet or lavender, and yours is definitely very tanzanitey. The 2.9 spinel and the cuprian tourmaline are equally gorgeous. Where is the 2.9 spinel from (sorry if I missed it), and why is it so darn hard to find purple cuprian tourmalines?

This thread has given me a craving for purple!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 4:28:32 PM
Author: Kim Bruun
Absolutely gorgeous spinel! I love tanzanites, regardless if they are blue, violet or lavender, and yours is definitely very tanzanitey. The 2.9 spinel and the cuprian tourmaline are equally gorgeous. Where is the 2.9 spinel from (sorry if I missed it), and why is it so darn hard to find purple cuprian tourmalines?

This thread has given me a craving for purple!
Kim,
It's actually a spinel too, not a tanzanite. That's funny you thought it was a tanzanite, so did my jeweler when I brought it in for it to be set. The cuprian I won about a year ago on ebay (I forget the seller), but it's GIT certified. There were over 30 bidders, and it's 6 carats. I'm very lucky to have it because it's large, clean and a very rare color. It's one of my prize stones. Purple cuprians are hard to find because most of them are heated to blue, and I was told this one would as well. I decided to leave it as is.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kunzite and Moosie.
1.gif

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I misread the title and initially thought it was very rich for a light tanzanite. Then I read your post again, realised my mistake, and fixed my own post - but you were already in the process of replying, I guess.

I know that most purple cuprians are heated to get the swimming pool blue colour, and I find that to be a great pity. While I do think the swimming pool blue is lovely, the purple can be just as beautiful, as your stone exemplifies.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
TL LOVE your new ring! Gorgeous color and I love the setting you put it in - just a delicate, romantic but modern look.
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 5:19:29 PM
Author: Kim Bruun
Yeah, I misread the title and initially thought it was very rich for a light tanzanite. Then I read your post again, realised my mistake, and fixed my own post - but you were already in the process of replying, I guess.

I know that most purple cuprians are heated to get the swimming pool blue colour, and I find that to be a great pity. While I do think the swimming pool blue is lovely, the purple can be just as beautiful, as your stone exemplifies.
Thank you Kim!! The violet color on the cuprian does have some grey. The heating drives away the grey and the purple, leaving only the blue.

Here's a page with more purple cuprians. Mine is similar to the 12.06 carat oval in the middle of the page, but my stone is much cleaner. It also shifts color lilke as well (violet to more purple).

http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Tourmaline-Mozambique.htm

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 6:40:49 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
TL LOVE your new ring! Gorgeous color and I love the setting you put it in - just a delicate, romantic but modern look.
30.gif
Thank you BEG!! Well, I fell in love with that setting from your wonderful pictures of it!!
2.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Nice stones, TL. I only have one spinel, but now I definitely want more.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Cellentani. Well the one spinel you do have is pretty awesome!!

Here''s another pic of it in a combo of incandescent and natural lighting. It goes very tanzanite like in this lighting.

TLvioletspinel5.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same picture, but further away.

TLvioletspinelset6.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results