shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 Carat Oval Hunt

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
New thread since our preferences have change a bit. Hunting for a ~1.5 carat, G color or better, VS or better oval diamond.

Here are a few stones GOG has pulled - see what you guys think. Can't say I'm crazy about any of them, they all seem to have a pretty prominent bow tie. The one on the right was GOG's favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1j10XriRfo&feature=youtu.be

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all do seem to have prevalent bow-ties :confused: . Number 3 does look to be the best of that bunch.

Just wondering if you told them that you wanted minimal bow-tie?

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
I did say I wanted no bow tie. Glad to hear you guys saw it too - thought I might be going crazy or had an unrealistic idea in my head.

I'll have GOG look for more stones, and post pics/video of the Brian Gavin stone I'm looking at tomorrow.

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
6866_gia6205489166-di.jpg

3910_gia6205489166-aset.jpg

2388_1.jpg

The BG stone I'm going to see tomorrow - trying to get a video too.

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
20151022_112044.jpg

The BG stone - very nice in person. A small bowtie, but not dark and flashed on and off well.

Brian met with me in person and actually spent a ton of time describing his cuts. He showed me several stones and went way above and beyond to make sure I was happy.

He examined this stone and told me this is a top of the line oval, so... what do you think? We have to decide ASAP.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333 said:
I dont think the BG stone would be MY top choice.

I have to agree with tyty333. Too much mush on the sides. I prefer the faceting of the oval she picked. I am not crazy about the GOG stones either.... too much bow tie. I think you need to keep looking. It takes time to find the right oval. Just need some patience and do some more hunting.... its a fun journey as long as you're not in a time crunch.

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. Disappointed about the BG stone - it had a very pretty glow to it, but maybe that's only because I haven't seen one like Tyty33 posted in real life.

Any suggestions off James Allen similar to the one Tyty33 posted but around 1.5 carat/G/eye clean?

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
This oval hunt has been a little discouraging - we've been looking since July :/ Brian was so positive on that stone that I was hoping it was "the one".

I tried to convince myself to like rounds or cushions, but just couldn't do it. Rounds feel boring and typical (no offense to those who love them!) and cushions just face up so small for our budget. Maybe we should consider an elongated old mine cut? Or antique cushion?

GOG is bringing in some different ovals tomorrow, maybe those will be better. I'll keep looking on JA. Thanks for all your help.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget so we can recommend stones/rings if its in budget? We know the specs you want but whats the budget for just the stone or for the stone and ring?

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
We'd like to stay under $13k for the ring in total.

Oh my - that antique oval is incredible. Perfect. But neither of us can stand halos, we are much more solitaire people. I'll inquire about the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results