shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 carat lavender pink Sri Lankan spinel in 18K yellow gold

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the spinel that begat my fatal addiction with spinels. It's 1.5 carats and from Sri Lanka. I just had it set. There are some bubbles, but I love the flashes of pink and purple in it.

Very up close shot since PS uploads tend to kill the color.

TLcushionlavenderpsinel1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 1.5 carat lavender pink Sri Lankan spinel in 18K yellow

Some further away shots. As always, honest opinions are appreciated.

TLlavendercushionspine2fw.JPG

TLlavendercushionspinel3fw.JPG

TLlavendercushionspinel4fw.JPG

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Really gorgeous TL! Is it as pastely as it appears in the pics?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know if the color is accurate, but given that PS tends to wash stones out, that must be a very pretty stone. I don't see a great intensity of color, for sure, but I like its delicate color and the flashes of pink, purple and blue - they look like sparks. I also really like the combination of yellow gold and lavender - this is one I'm glad you didn't use rose gold.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock

I love it! Can I see pictures from farther away? Like far enough to see your whole hand? :halo:

I am new to the colored stone forum. I know nothing about spinels. Actually I have never heard of them before! :o

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Mmmmmm, TL. Lovely in that setting, too. I'd love to see a hand shot also!!

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Right - let me start by saying I HATE YOU. ;)) Actually you know that's not true but I've got spinel envy! Big time! That's my favourite spinel of yours. I adore seeing blue, lavender, purple and pink all in one stone. *deep sigh of love*

However, may I ask a question? Does that spinel fit ok into that setting? It looks too small and I can see a little bit too much metal around the edges. It may be okay from arm's length so I'd love to see a handshot perspective also. As you know, blown up photos show every little detail that you wouldn't normally notice in real life so it may not be a problem. Of course, if I'm right, then if you want to send it to me so I can look after it while you find another setting ........................ :saint:

It's worth a try!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

I think I like the stone a lot - judging from your photos, it may not be the most saturated, but it's bright, crisp, and sparkly, everything you want in a spinel. And I'm guessing that in person, the scintillation hides those tiny bubble inclusions very well. I agree with LD that it looks a bit small in the setting - you can clearly see the seat on all 4 sides. That extra metal, combined with the already wide width of the halo, seems to dwarf your stone. I too, would be curious to see a hand shot, but I'm guessing that a more delicate halo will showcase the lighter toned spinel better.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, and I'll get to everyone's questions later, but here's a much further away shot. When I shrink a lot, it destroys some of the color saturation, so that's why I do my infamous close ups. Photo taken in my grey car interior in indirect sunlight.

TLlavenderspinelcushionsuperfw.JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Geeeeeeeeezzzz, those close ups are TDF !!!!!!
SO much detail !
It's amazing to see the spinel up close and personal, and I LOVE seeing inclusions!!!!!
It is like each stone has its little interior secrets, and that camera really brings them out.

That is one lovely stone, I agree with the comment about the "sparks" :love: :love: :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, and questions.

As for the basket of the setting, I know some people were concerned the setting was too large for the stone. It is sitting down there, and I personally think this stone looks very good with a lot of metal surrounding it, as it would if it were bezeled. I would have loved to bezel this gem, but since it's only 1.5 carats, I just don't want to cover up any bit of this gem, so the frame of metal around it sort of acts like a bezel. I think it really enhances the facet pattern, and the sparkles, as a bezel would have. Therefore, that was my justification for putting it in there, even though it is a little large for the stone.

The stone is a medium light tone. However, I would say the saturation is moderately strong, so like a 4/4 range in tone and saturation. It is definitely not washed out to my eye, but perhaps some of the photos may suggest it is to others.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LovingDiamonds|1300568215|2875426 said:
Right - let me start by saying I HATE YOU. ;)) Actually you know that's not true but I've got spinel envy! Big time! That's my favourite spinel of yours. I adore seeing blue, lavender, purple and pink all in one stone. *deep sigh of love*

However, may I ask a question? Does that spinel fit ok into that setting? It looks too small and I can see a little bit too much metal around the edges. It may be okay from arm's length so I'd love to see a handshot perspective also. As you know, blown up photos show every little detail that you wouldn't normally notice in real life so it may not be a problem. Of course, if I'm right, then if you want to send it to me so I can look after it while you find another setting ........................ :saint:

It's worth a try!

I would take an arm's length photo, but nothing would come in focus. I take photos about 2 to 4 inches from my hand. I hope the last photo sufficed.

Thanks for the kind words, want to trade for one of your giant paraibas??? :naughty:

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock

Honest reply - I think it's a pretty light color. I do feel that it is a little small for this setting too. May I know it's mm size? Interesting double tone:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agnesg|1300604252|2875656 said:
Honest reply - I think it's a pretty light color. I do feel that it is a little small for this setting too. May I know it's mm size? Interesting double tone:)

It's 7mm, but the problem is that the setting, although made for 7mm stones, is really a little too large for them. Thanks for the honest opinion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Crasru,
Not sure if you bought the new spinel book, but there is a Sri Lankan spinel emerald step cut that is a dead ringer in color for this one. I love those spinels that show two colors at once.

I like your Monet comparison, thank you. I think the impressionists liked combining multiple colors like that in order to emulate more truly how light behaves.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

crasru|1300644037|2875802 said:
Fantastic stone. Remember how impressionists painted water? A blend of different colors, shades and lights. It is lavender, but it remninds me of a river.

Venice my Monet, the one on top,

http://www.intermonet.com/venice/

This, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monet_Waterlilypond_1926.jpg

What a fantastic comparison. I adore art and the colours in both Monets really appeal to me and I too see TL's spinel there also. WOW. I'm bowled over by the link between them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is gorgeous and I can see why it started you on the path of an addiction to spinel. It has such great color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Marcy. One more further away shot, which is not really in focus, but you can see the flashes of light playing in the stone as evening sunlight comes through my window.

TLfireworkspinel.JPG

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL, your new picture really shows the colors in your beautiful stone. I am a sucker for pinks. :appl:

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

Really like how it looks in the new shot, its such a pretty ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Such a wonderful play of colours within the stone. It's not easy to find a light toned spinel that is still saturated but you've found it! I don't think anybody will ever get tired of playing around with that spinel as it shows its many different faces.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awww, thanks for the kind remarks, and also the honest remarks, from everyone. I really appreciate it, and I love sharing my photos with the PS family in CS. :wavey:

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

That spinel does have a very pleasing color! :appl: Very nice TL.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results